Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:15 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srg1990 View Post
In your experiences, what would you suggest to do?

As incoherent as this was, I thank you
It's best to look for work when the job market is up, and go to school when the job market is down. I think you should try to finish college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
I think you should go back to Arizona with your parents, finish college, and hopefully the job situation will improve.
My son stayed in NJ after we left and he came running here a few months ago. He did find a job here before he came!

Diane G

Old 05-14-2009, 08:03 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,338 times
try getting a job at a higher end restaurant at first, just wait tables for the time being. you can always count on the service industry to help you through a pinch. and north jersey has tons on of nice or expensive places. do it...do it...

i just cant grasp people wanting to live in NJ if they dont have to. i grew up in NJ. i want nothing more than to live out west. NJ seems bland to me.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 PM

49 posts, read 124,115 times
If you were my kid, I'd definitely want you to go back to college, even if it's a two year college. In another year, you may be thinking differently. Time changes everyone.

It's difficult to get a job now, you may have a problem even at a McDonalds. You said you left here at 14, and you miss your friends, things are not going to be the way, you left them. It's sad but in life everyone moves on - don't come back expecting things to be the same. Are your friends going to college?

I knew kids who moved to Ariz, at about your age years ago, they accepted the move, made new friends, went to school and got jobs there and eventually started their own families.

Whatever you decide to do , I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM

if you do decide to come to NJ, try looking for work in a supermarket, you'll be part-time, but you'll be in the union in a few months and get benefits. They should be hiring, busy season is coming up. If you are a hard worker, you'll do good, get hours and maybe move up.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srg1990 View Post
Hello all.

Here's my situation.

When I was 14, my parents thought it would be a good idea to move to Arizona, from Jersey (they made a good decision, for the most part)... I always told them when I was old enough though, that I was moving back. I love New Jersey soo much. The people (yes), the weather (yes), the congestion. I love it all.

I'm 18 now, and as much as some of you might suggest otherwise, I've decided to move back next month, in June.

Now, I'm moving to Belleville, that little town bordering Newark, and that being said, it isn't the nicest area.

My main concern is that I only have one year of college under my belt, and moving cross country will definitely hinder my option to back to school for a while. With that, I will be starting from scratch.

I was thinking about joining sprinkler fitters union next year, but until then, I'm super concerned about healthcare, and benefits, over anything, really.

I'll be living with my aunt, so my only expenses are the $200 a month I'll be giving her.

What would you guys suggest I do to get started? I know employment is taking a hit everywhere, but I would assume with Newark, and other large cities within driving distance, I would be able to find a little not-so-bad full time job job somewhere.

Out here in Tucson, AZ, when a fast food joint opens up, there's a line around the block to try and get a job there.

In your experiences, what would you suggest to do?

As incoherent as this was, I thank you
If you're competent, you'll find work.

With that said, you should finish up the degree first.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
I'm glad you have pride in your Jersey roots. Arizona is a pretty awesome place, too, though. With the economy being so crappy, and with you having only a year of college with little work experience at your young age, my advice would be to hold off for a year or two (or even three). Use that time to continue your education in Arizona and to work while you go to school to gain some work experience. When they economy gets better in a year or two, then make your move. Honestly, I think the economy has bottomed out and it's all on the upswing from here on out, but right now jobs are tight everywhere.

If you do come out to NJ soon, though, for one thing, Belleville is not a bad neighborhood at all. Also, being right next to Newark, you can take classes at Rutgers-Newark.

NJ will be more fun for you once you're 21, anyway.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:29 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,640 times
You better stay in Arizona. You are ONLY 18 years old with a high school diploma and with NOTHING to show for your college experience. You better go and get your degree while you can. There's nothing out here, man.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:23 PM

I forgot to mention before, that even in a supermarket to move to upper management, you need a college education and a degree. See how important college is. Please stay in Arizona, further your education and rethink moving to NJ til you are older.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:41 PM

711 posts, read 1,511,617 times
Stay in school. You have plenty of time for Jersey and travel in general. But by staying in school now you will make yourself more marketable in the future, thus opening up opportunitys that you have yet to understand. Also if you stop your schooling now it will severely hinder your ability to pick up that pace and continue with it in the future. Do the right things and the right things will happen. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey