Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 16,403 times

Advertisements

a friend of mine told me about this website and this is my first time using it. Basically I am looking to buy my first starter home in the next three months.
My friends and family told me to buy a house with a nice resale value (basically easy acces to NYC) in an appreciating area.. so I am debating between where to start looking- Central or North NJ. I was told by my realtor that Central NJ is growing and the house prices are increasing faster than Northern NJ- does this sound right??? Im lookin to spend no more than $500,000. I would like new construction if possible for that amount of money.
So far I saw some houses in Monroe and Old bridge. Anywhere else i should be looking? Yes school sytem is important because I have a toddler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
If you want easy access to NYC, your best bet is to be near a train station.

For new construction, you're not going to find anything for under $500k that's a decent commute to NYC- land prices are too high, and you have to build 3,000 SF to offset the land price. Even infill lot "starter homes" in Iselin and Fords are in the mid $500's to over $600k, and anything on larger lots in Old Bridge, Marlboro, etc., starts at closer to $700k.

Bob

Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM

22 posts, read 76,155 times
Central Jersey Definitely!
North Jersey is too expensive and congested.
You will have to find the neighborhoods near train or bus stations. It would be extremely difficult to find a new construction for that amount. Old Bridge is a good town also check out Freehold, Lakewood, Toms River, and Jackson

Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Central

thanks for the responses! you all are so helpful!
so Central is where I will focus. But is it an easier train/bus commute from Central NJ into Manhattan than from Northern NJ?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,088,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelanieLove View Post
a friend of mine told me about this website and this is my first time using it. Basically I am looking to buy my first starter home in the next three months.
My friends and family told me to buy a house with a nice resale value (basically easy acces to NYC) in an appreciating area.. so I am debating between where to start looking- Central or North NJ. I was told by my realtor that Central NJ is growing and the house prices are increasing faster than Northern NJ- does this sound right??? Im lookin to spend no more than $500,000. I would like new construction if possible for that amount of money.
So far I saw some houses in Monroe and Old bridge. Anywhere else i should be looking? Yes school sytem is important because I have a toddler.
Metropark.Metropark.Metropark...and Metropark...you'll never go wrong with Metropark

Old 04-06-2007, 03:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
thanks for the responses! you all are so helpful!
so Central is where I will focus. But is it an easier train/bus commute from Central NJ into Manhattan than from Northern NJ?
Depends on where in North NJ or Central NJ. Either area is far easier if you're near a train station or major bus route, especially if near a train with a direct run into Penn Station. The trip from Central NJ may be slightly longer due to distance, but I'll take a 45 minute direct train trip into Penn Station over two 20 minute train rides with a transfer any day.

Bob

Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Central NJ growing

Thanks for the feedback...
pardon my ignorance but since Central NJ is a growing area.. does that mean that houses will appreciate faster there than in areas where growth has slowed down? For example, I have co-workers that brought in Monroe because supposedly thats a fast growing area. DOes that mean that my house will be worth a lot when its developed??

Old 04-06-2007, 04:53 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,575 times
I think it depends where you are in central NJ. In the Hazlet, Holmdel, Matawan, Middletown area (Bayshore) the houses have slowed down in the pricings (still extremely and ridiculously expensive, but not going up at this time).

Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,143 times
Quote:
If it is a starter home then it need not be new construction
instead look for something that has been well maintained and updated
I also would look in central jersey over northern jersey

Old 04-07-2007, 07:51 AM

thanks everyone! does anyone know when they are going to decide whether to raise the interest rates again?? do they do that every month or every two months?? I want to buy before that raise it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey