Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Dont be soo sure about that. My wife left a corp job with exactly that in mind. Having everything needed she sent resumes out to every single urban district in central and north jersey. Not one bite at all. Finally got a job by subbing and getting politically active. The myth that you can get a teaching job in an urban district is wayy off. Not to mention now you have to factor in our economic downturn and you will see a HUGE rush into the education field. People are looking for the security that it can potentially give you. I expect the next 3 to 4 years to be super super tough in the education field.
Agree. As an urban educator myself, I can tell you that it is not a whole lot easier to get a job in an urban district than a suburban one. At my school, we have about six aides, all with teaching certification, and all who have had a very successful year at our school, and they can't get full-time teaching jobs anywhere, even in our district. And that's with extreme dedication (perfect attendance, staying late, etc.) and recommendations from the principal.

I looked for six years for a full-time position after I graduated from college. It is extremely difficult to get a teaching job in NJ during good economic times, and even harder during rough times like we have now. Pay is good, benefits are good, security is good, and a good pension is suddenly becoming a very attractive perk in this era of 401K account values vanishing and companies stopping matching.

In regards to the OP's question, pay does indeed tend to be higher in the North, specifically the Northeast quadrant of the state. However, some central NJ towns, especially more affluent ones like Howell, tend to pay well also.

But if you really want a teaching job in NJ, you can't limit yourself to a few districts. Get the certification requirements squared away and then apply to any and every district posting for positions you're qualified to teach within a reasonable commuting distance (to me, that's 45 minutes or less each way). It's going to be a tough battle, but hopefully perseverance will pay off in the long run!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,676 times
I believe Middletown (Monmouth County) has always been one of the highest-paying districts in the state.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:32 AM

249 posts, read 754,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Dont be soo sure about that. My wife left a corp job with exactly that in mind. Having everything needed she sent resumes out to every single urban district in central and north jersey. Not one bite at all. Finally got a job by subbing and getting politically active. The myth that you can get a teaching job in an urban district is wayy off. Not to mention now you have to factor in our economic downturn and you will see a HUGE rush into the education field. People are looking for the security that it can potentially give you. I expect the next 3 to 4 years to be super super tough in the education field.
I teach in one of those areas and yes there are always jobs available. You just have to look. Many times there will be openings as well in September after new hires decide that urban teaching is not for them. If you are certified it's even better. I can't tell you how many alternate route teachers they hire in my district alone. That would never happen in the suburbs unless it was in a high need subject like math/science/special ed. We have several positions available each year because people do one year and then move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah but it's worth it in NJ to get into Education. Work half a year for all that money and benefits they make. Unlike business where you have to work until 5:00 or 6:00 PM teachers get out at 2:30. Not too shabby
Typical answer from people not in education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey