Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:21 PM

35 posts, read 231,562 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to New Jersey and from our research, we like Howell, Union, and maybe Northern Jersey. I've heard that teacher pay is lower in some counties. Can anyone tell me which school districts in NJ pay the best?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,122 times
It really all depends. I would say pay is higher in from Central Jersey to North Jersey. Do you have a job lined up? If not I would be prepared to not have a job.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:25 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,774 times
If you are asking because you are a teacher and are looking for a job, I would say find a job and then move. Teaching positions are extremely difficult to get in NJ. I'm a teacher but the only teaching position I could find was 60 miles away from my home. The teacher who live across the street from me relocated here and has been looking for a position in our area for 3 years. Some districts don't even have substitute positions available.

I could be wrong but I think most districts in NJ start over $40K. Salaries vary a great deal from district to district. Urban Districts tend to pay more. Elizabeth, Newark and Jersey City all start at close to $50K. But then there are plenty of others that do also.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:45 PM

249 posts, read 753,778 times
you'll have no problem finding a teaching job in one of NJ's urban areas, but if you are looking at places like Howell, you may have a more difficult time. For the most part, South Jersey salaries tend to be lower than North Jersey.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:57 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,953 times
Lightbulb Inner City Teaching Jobs

Check out the Inner Cities. There is a website that lists all city employees salaries. Data Universe dot com. With tenure, Jersey citys teachers make in the 80's. But then again, the Fourth Grader was caught with a knife in his backpack.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
you'll have no problem finding a teaching job in one of NJ's urban areas, but if you are looking at places like Howell, you may have a more difficult time. For the most part, South Jersey salaries tend to be lower than North Jersey.

Dont be soo sure about that. My wife left a corp job with exactly that in mind. Having everything needed she sent resumes out to every single urban district in central and north jersey. Not one bite at all. Finally got a job by subbing and getting politically active. The myth that you can get a teaching job in an urban district is wayy off. Not to mention now you have to factor in our economic downturn and you will see a HUGE rush into the education field. People are looking for the security that it can potentially give you. I expect the next 3 to 4 years to be super super tough in the education field.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,905,478 times
Yeah but it's worth it in NJ to get into Education. Work half a year for all that money and benefits they make. Unlike business where you have to work until 5:00 or 6:00 PM teachers get out at 2:30. Not too shabby

Old 05-16-2009, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 24,046 times
Check out newer schools.
I went to Barnegat High School when it was 4 years old and they were hurting for teachers, especially substitutes.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,208 times
How do they get out at 2:30 when schools typically end at 2:45? Most districts have teachers contracted till 3pm. 10 months of work and 2 months off is nice.
Are you certified to teach in NJ? If you aren’t certified, the first step is to get your cert. Districts won’t even consider you without an NJ cert.
I think some districts are forced to do layoffs with all the state budget cuts. Good luck

Old 05-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah but it's worth it in NJ to get into Education. Work half a year for all that money and benefits they make. Unlike business where you have to work until 5:00 or 6:00 PM teachers get out at 2:30. Not too shabby

I imagine if its all peaches and cream you should be a teacher. Anyways education jobs will be very very tough to come by and honestly making a move without a job is financial suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey