Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM

8 posts, read 31,084 times

Advertisements

I am from NY and live in LI. My girlfriend lives in JC. All I have to say is that if I could live anywhere...it would be Hoboken. I love it in Hoboken. Very convenient and safe. My girlfriend took me for a ride through the Hoboken projects and that didn't even seem that bad. I guess it could be because they have built luxury condos around them. Hands down...you will love Hoboken...and the commute to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,358 times
Quote:
Why is it that when I drive anywhere in North Jersey, you can't avoid a car from NY?
Insurance?

Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plume12 View Post
I was born and raised in Manhattan. First of all I use to be one of those ppl that swore never to move to nj, why I said I have no idea. Well I met my husband and he was raised and living in Hoboken. So when we got married I moved to Hoboken . I started loving Hoboken and we had a child fast foward, we moved out of Hoboken because of that reason. Its a lot of fun esp. if your single. So don't worry about it you will love it!!!
It is changing, but the hardest things in Hoboken about having a kid are space and education.

There are MANY more day care centers open now in Hoboken and the strollers are a-plenty.

Whether that eventually gets to the point where it effects the public schools is yet to be seen. Schools work two ways, you need good teachers and programs, but you also need kids and parents that give a shhhh....hoot. Without both you get mediocre to abysmal.

We got a good Football team though!!!!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I understand. But you should realize that you are a tourist in their eyes. Always will be.
Depends.

As a commuter and a hanger I have seen so many true tourists coming everywhere from East Orange to the Netherlands and the thing that usually makes them more obvious that Angelina Jolie at a Retirement home is just teh way they present and carry themselves.

Stopping in the middle of the sidewalk, as a group, to decide which direction to go (during RUSH HOUR!!). Standing with their mouths open while looking up at....whatever is "up" at the time.

Taking pictures at famous spots.....sorta. Spots that just happen to be things like the stairs to Grand Central, again at rush hour.

Wearing outfits that would garner snickers from people even at Disneyworld during normal working hours.

Driving into the city.

The main problem that all people have is that they just don't seem to be able to get into the groove very well. Some do, hell, 3/4 probably do, but it is the other 25% that block the streets, don't look both ways when crossing (and walk out in front of you as you are sprinting to beat the light) or generally look confused and moronic on their way to/out of a Red Lobster on 41st street!

Quote:
Jersey City might as well be Kansas City to many of these NYC types.
You are not a part of their club. As long as you fully realize that & don't try & mitigate how they see you, Jersey City & NJ as a whole, I don't have a problem.
What is wrong with changing people's opinions of where you live. Mitigate is fine, confront and challange might not be as condusive to a favorable opinion of NJ.....

Quote:
However, people from NJ should adjust how they view NYC. Use it for your entertainment & benefit. But you should certainly not embrace it. They certainly don't embrace you. Work, play................. But don't ever, ever, ever make the mistake of thinking you are "one of the boys".
What an inimical attitude! Don't embrace your neighbor? That is the very thing that makes this attitude happen.

I have gotten strange looks from people when I say I am coming from NJ, but I have never received any kind of animosity for it.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mforrest100 View Post
I am from NY and live in LI. My girlfriend lives in JC. All I have to say is that if I could live anywhere...it would be Hoboken. I love it in Hoboken. Very convenient and safe. My girlfriend took me for a ride through the Hoboken projects and that didn't even seem that bad. I guess it could be because they have built luxury condos around them. Hands down...you will love Hoboken...and the commute to the city.
Sorry for the multi-posts!!!

Yep, Luxury right up next to poverty. Very strange. The town has cleaned up quite a bit, but I would still not park my car outside next to the projects.

Not because I am worried about anything being stolen, the car is 15 years old now. But sometimes someone egts a bug in their pants about how life is so unfair to them ever since these rich people moved in and how they are treated so differently than them, etc etc. That bug somehow speaks both English and Spanish and will tell these guys to break your mirror or snap off your antenna. Sometimes it is just footprints on your hood.

It has gotten much better than 10 years ago (and better than 10 years before that) but ther are still the incidental vandalism targets.

Such is life.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
never mind the Tri-State area, can compare to the culture, restaurants, and nightlife of NYC.
its a sewer. i went out in some stupid trendy bar/club thing in the meatpacking district saturday night. the street was filled with idiots there to enjoy nyc nightlife. it was pathetic. they were like a bunch of animals scattering around to their miserable bar/clubs and thinking they are so wonderful. they looked like crap to me.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a sewer. i went out in some stupid trendy bar/club thing in the meatpacking district saturday night. the street was filled with idiots there to enjoy nyc nightlife. it was pathetic. they were like a bunch of animals scattering around to their miserable bar/clubs and thinking they are so wonderful. they looked like crap to me.
You were the idiot that went to the MPD!!! That place has fallen under shallow glitz for some time. There are still a few places on the outskirts, but whenever you see a designer handbag store in a place that WAS famed for its grunge, you know that what made it attractive in the first place can't afford to be cool there anymore.

East Village is getting that too, but there are still plenty of hidey-holes around if you are willing to look.

Personally? I prefer the villages. Less Metro feeling (brownstones) and some decent bars (Blind Tiger on Jones and Bleeker, for one).

Any place that is "famous" enough for everyone to know is usually not worth going to during peak (McSorleys). Try Tuesday Night sometime in some of these places and you may get a better feel for them SANS all the glam seekers and tourists.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
You were the idiot that went to the MPD!!! That place has fallen under shallow glitz for some time. There are still a few places on the outskirts, but whenever you see a designer handbag store in a place that WAS famed for its grunge, you know that what made it attractive in the first place can't afford to be cool there anymore.

East Village is getting that too, but there are still plenty of hidey-holes around if you are willing to look.

Personally? I prefer the villages. Less Metro feeling (brownstones) and some decent bars (Blind Tiger on Jones and Bleeker, for one).

Any place that is "famous" enough for everyone to know is usually not worth going to during peak (McSorleys). Try Tuesday Night sometime in some of these places and you may get a better feel for them SANS all the glam seekers and tourists.
im not going to argue about me being an idiot for going except to say i didnt want to go. i hate going to manhattan especially for nightlife but thats what our old brooklyn friends picked and my wife hasnt seen them in a while so i was forced to go. the place was buddha bar.

i get nothing out of going to these places these days. its just a bunch of idiots in a place with loud music to me. i prefer just going to dinner (near where i live in nj). manhattan has nothing for me thats worth the trip and headache.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Like I suggested, try he Blind Tiger. About 30 beers on tap, all different, all the time (don't expect Coors!). They have special guests like the brew-masters from some of these places, and are generally crowded (and packed on weekends) but not so bad as a dance club.

The main reason for being crowded? I believe they can only fit 50 people in with the tables and such!

It is a real beer-hounds paradise. Just take the PATH to Christopher and walk over to Bleeker. I think Jones is one (small) block over from 7th avenue (Varick).

You will NOT regret it, just get there early! Oh, and John's Pizzeria across the street is really good too (they only sell whole pies though, so get one and a pitcher of beer and you are set!).

Old 06-02-2009, 12:15 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gould71 View Post
To anyone from NYC, Jersey is garbage
what are you basing this ignorant statement on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey