Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM

605 posts, read 2,147,545 times

Advertisements

Wondering people's thoughts......

I'm torn. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that the majority of Americans celebrate. I stay far away from shopping that weekend because I have no interest in the chaos to save a few bucks. I think it is sad to force Target workers to work 8pm Thanksgiving night, but if people want to work to make overtime pay, then fine.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I think it is out of control!! It is the one holiday that everyone celebrates and stores should remain CLOSED at least until 8AM Friday so employees can enjoy time with their families.

I never got caught up in Black Friday madness!!

I also say kudos to Nordstom for not getting caught up in it.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:34 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
It sucks. Black Friday has gotten out of hand. 6 am on Friday was plenty early to start the big retail day, then the competition to go earlier got crazy. And now trampling ON Thanksgiving itself is just sad.

I remember going at 6 a decade ago and there would only be the anchor stores open while most of the rest of the mall would still be closed.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Wondering people's thoughts......

I'm torn. Thanksgiving is the one holiday that the majority of Americans celebrate. I stay far away from shopping that weekend because I have no interest in the chaos to save a few bucks. I think it is sad to force Target workers to work 8pm Thanksgiving night, but if people want to work to make overtime pay, then fine.

Any thoughts?
I also doubt they are getting overtime, they juggle the schedule around so they have people working on regular time...

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
It sucks. Black Friday has gotten out of hand. 6 am on Friday was plenty early to start the big retail day, then the competition to go earlier got crazy. And now trampling ON Thanksgiving itself is just sad.

I remember going at 6 a decade ago and there would only be the anchor stores open while most of the rest of the mall would still be closed.
Yes, even though I think 8 is plenty of time 6AM is better than Thanksgiving night..

IF PEOPLE, SHOPPERS would just STOP being crazy maniacs over some bargains and stayed home this wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,917 times
It is getting crazy, stores opening earlier and earlier. I went to BF once about 5 years ago and said to myself, never again.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes, even though I think 8 is plenty of time 6AM is better than Thanksgiving night..

IF PEOPLE, SHOPPERS would just STOP being crazy maniacs over some bargains and stayed home this wouldn't even be an issue.
The joke is, there really aren't many bargains that won't be there later in the holiday season, unless it's the two $25 TV's they have that you have to camp out and be willing to kill for, and they can keep them - my dignity is worth more than a TV. I would love a list of stores that are openly refusing to participate in this, I will gladly shop in them (well AFTER Black Friday though, as I'll be home getting ready for Cyber Monday, lol).

I find it sad, that where I have lots of fun memories of Thanksgiving nights with all my cousins, Uncles, etc, my 3 year old nephews will have memories of Mommy and Daddy leaving to go shopping right after dinner (that's the plan, despite our trying to talk her out of it). The real irony is, they'd rather have quality time with mom and dad than the presents mom and dad are leaving them to go buy. I feel like we are becoming a bunch of cows following the herd, and where ever the "shepherd" (the corporate marketing shepherd) leads us...

Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i think its fine. who cares? nobody is forced to go shopping, its their choice.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 AM

ocnjgirl...I so agree, there is so little family time anymore, Thanksgiving should remain for family and friends...

Old 11-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think its fine. who cares? nobody is forced to go shopping, its their choice.
Yes but by having crazy idiots camping out for a $25 tv it is FORCING employees who would rather be home with family having to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey