Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 18,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjersey973 View Post
There is also a substantial amount of blacks living in the Teaneck, Englewood, Hackensack area of Bergen County. Whats good about these towns is that they are very close to New York with a great variety of restaurants and dining.
Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 AM

181 posts, read 635,402 times
try www.meetup.com which has a wide variety of groups for all; including black professionals in NJ

Old 08-02-2008, 12:01 AM

48 posts, read 161,820 times
Cecils in West Orange is nice. Check out Voros and The Martini Bar in South Orange..

Old 05-06-2015, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,602 times
It is very hard for me to find a lounge where i can meet black professional men in Jersey,preferably Bergen and Essex county.is there any updated info of where to go besides nyc?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,841 times
You might check out Papillon 25 and Above Restaurant and Bar in South Orange.

Someone just told me a new place in South Orange, Ricalton's, has a sizeable black customer base. Note that it's three floors, so try them all. I haven't been there in the evening to see for myself.

You might also sit on a park bench outside the Lucky 7 barbershop in South Orange. I see a lot of good-looking men coming out of there. :-)

Coda in Maplewood.

Note that I'm a middle-aged white woman. These are just my observations about the professional AA scene, not first-hand experience.

Edited to add that there are lots of well-off blacks in South Orange, but I think they're probably mostly married. South Orange is definitely a town for families with kids. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:28 PM

472 posts, read 811,997 times
I think they mostly go to Hackensack.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:19 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
You could try some of the bars in Montclair. I was at The Office on Bloomfield Ave. a while back and there seemed to be a large, black customer base. But I have no idea if these were singles or not.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You might check out Papillon 25 and Above Restaurant and Bar in South Orange.

Someone just told me a new place in South Orange, Ricalton's, has a sizeable black customer base. Note that it's three floors, so try them all. I haven't been there in the evening to see for myself.

You might also sit on a park bench outside the Lucky 7 barbershop in South Orange. I see a lot of good-looking men coming out of there. :-)

Coda in Maplewood.

Note that I'm a middle-aged white woman. These are just my observations about the professional AA scene, not first-hand experience.

Edited to add that there are lots of well-off blacks in South Orange, but I think they're probably mostly married. South Orange is definitely a town for families with kids. I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.
Singles scenes outside of major cities seem fairly spotty regardless of which state you're in or what race you are...but the above advice is pretty sound. SO and Maplewood have fairly vibrant and diverse bar crowds for smallish towns. Maplewood always impresses me with the amount of activity on what is basically a 3-block commercial strip. Coda is a cool spot, though was too crowded to get into last time I visited. Papillon has a nice bar and I usually see some AA folks enjoying drinks there. Haven't been to Ricalton's yet. Above Bar is another option in SO too.

Montclair would be the other destination in Essex. Try Upstairs in Upper Montclair...really cool space and somewhat diverse crowd...good drinks too.

I think you could also try West Orange...not as cool of a downtown as the above towns, but there's a greater mix of non-white folks there, and a few bars/lounges, I think. In the near future I could see Orange becoming a spot for this as well, a lot of new apartments going up there, sizeable black community, crime isn't too bad, artsy vibe as you head to SO, and multiple train stations.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:56 AM

538 posts, read 732,802 times
The thing with South Orange/Maplewood definitely has the right mix of people, I just can't say how many are single. The property taxes are easier to swallow if you have kids in the school system, so you do end up with a lot of families. I'm sure there are some singles out there, but probably not tons.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:01 AM

696 posts, read 906,510 times
There is a black singles meetup group that sponsors events in Jersey City and environs periodically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey