U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 AM

20 posts, read 179,191 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved to South Bergen county from DC. From what I observed, there is an abundence of nice shopping malls and restaurants in Jersey. Dining alone can get old at times, but I would like to find some alternative places to meet other black singles. I work in NJ and want to establish some roots here and not always want to go to NYC for leisure. The parts of Hoboken/Jersey City that I have visited still did not have the vibe I am looking for. I would be interested in a good happy hour, or a nice lounge with good music (R&B, hip hop, etc). Or basically anyplace where I won't stick out like a sore thumb going solo.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 12:37 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,632,442 times
This is a tough one as you are in suburbia. Hoboken as you may have found is lacking in any sort of Black culture. Some of the areas surrounding Newark might have some options but from what I have heard, if you live in suburbia-south Jersey has more from a Black perspective. Montclair might be worth checking out but I think the best approach would be to find an interest or group and get involved. That is the best way to meet people in a similar demo. Also educated adults can network at a local community college or University. You will tend to find more races and ethnicities in those settings.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM

142 posts, read 507,714 times
Default Black singles meeting places

I agree with cyntmac.

Verona and Essex Fells are upscale communities and then comes Montclair
and Bloomfield heading East towards Newark. Bloomfield Avenue passes through all of these towns and acts as a corridor passing through many interesting ethnic restaurants and social gathering places. I like the area as it has something for everybody. Back in the Mid 30s, Newark was home for great R&B bands and proving grounds for jazz pianists and pianists competing against the left hand stride of Willy the Lion Smith. Some recommendations are Trumpets in Montclair, Cecils Jazz Club in W. Orange
and The Savoy Grill in Newark.

I live in PA at this time but always return to this area for its great food and music variety.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:43 AM

8,290 posts, read 18,214,943 times
I think the Bloomfield Ave corridor too, is the place for you, anywhere from Verona on down. There are few negatives other than cost of living. But coming from DC, you already have built in sticker shock.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM

29 posts, read 129,451 times
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what's your flavor: hip-hop type, old-school jams or both? I'll email back again: some of my SBPF friends are compiling a list including a few trips to AC (Atlantic city) leaving from the N-Jersey area...one is newly single...

Old 04-12-2007, 06:51 PM

20 posts, read 179,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatk1 View Post
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and what's your flavor: hip-hop type, old-school jams or both? I'll email back again: some of my SBPF friends are compiling a list including a few trips to AC (Atlantic city) leaving from the N-Jersey area...one is newly single...
I am 29 and like all of the music you mentioned and then some. I will forward you my email address separately for more info. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:23 PM

359 posts, read 2,481,877 times
Cecil's Club in W. Orange is real nice. You should definatley check that out. You might even want to check out Orange as a place to live. Any of the oranges really. East Orange might be iffy though. But Orange is mostly black and not that dangerous of a neighborhood. Also that whole area is very artsy.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,605,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
Cecil's Club in W. Orange is real nice. You should definatley check that out. You might even want to check out Orange as a place to live. Any of the oranges really. East Orange might be iffy though. But Orange is mostly black and not that dangerous of a neighborhood. Also that whole area is very artsy.
Before moving to Orange you definitely want to check out the area. Orange can be a little rough...

Old 07-31-2008, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 16,080 times
Default Any more suggestions!?

Hopefully this post will be bumped to the top with more responses. I just recently moved to the same area and have been wondering the same thing as the OP. Any luck OP? Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Tia

Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 AM

37 posts, read 182,610 times
There is also a substantial amount of blacks living in the Teaneck, Englewood, Hackensack area of Bergen County. Whats good about these towns is that they are very close to New York with a great variety of restaurants and dining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey