Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,949,614 times

Advertisements

I LOVED Gingerbread Castle.... thanks for reminding me of where it was! LOL It was before I was doing the driving. We used to have lunch at this place called the Iron Kettle on the way. Had the most UNBELIEVABLE homemade peach pie that we'd get w/ vanilla ice cream... YUM.

While it's not in NJ... you know one place I really miss in NEPA....Magic Valley Park, anyone remember that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I remember going to Uncle Miltie's once or twice as a child, I could have sworn it was in Bayone, but I was very young, so I'm not sure. That was going to be on my list too! As for Havemyers, couldn't agree w/ you more. LOVED that place! Grandma used to walk there w/ us all the time.
Are you kidding me??? Do you know how many times I posted asking if anyone remembered Havenmyers and never got an answer? I have even DMed current Jersey City residents but got no answer. It was a deli but they made 12" square crumb cakes. They cost just $2 the whole thing was 2" thick and 1.75 of it was all solid crumb. My mom took me on a bus to there and bought salads for dinner. When did that close? Last time I remember going was about 1985ish.

Uncle Milties location came up before too. I believe there were 2. One in Bayone and one in Cliffwood Beach or there abouts.

Get back to me with your memory of Havenmyers.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 24,046 times
D.E. Jones & Caldor.

Those places rocked. XD
And there are probably others I am missing...

Old 05-23-2009, 09:38 PM

My "Nana" was German, so she loved Havemeyers. I remember thinking that they needed to redecorate. LOL But I also loved their crumb cakes. When I was older, Nana sent me and the cousins there to get German Potato Salad, Cole Slaw (she LOVED their Cole Slaw), Cold Cuts...and you got it... a crumb cake. Good times... Good times. I will ask my Mom for what she remembers of it... she'll remember more than me. I don't know when it closed... but like you the last time I recall it was in the mid to late 80's.

I miss my "old" Central Ave in General. When I was a kid we'd take the "Loop" bus that went through Western Slope and left you off at Central and Manhattan and walk the whole length. Some of the places we'd hit, Star Beauty Supply... that's the first place I bought MOUSSE when it first came out! When I was much younger, Cheap Sams and Silver's Toy Stores - I MISS THEM - esp Silver's LOVED that store. When I was in HS I wound up getting my many prom dresses at the now defunct "Bridal Suite" on Central. Another "much younger" was Jupiters with Mom. HATED that place.. LOL. When I was in my teens the Burger King and Baskin Robins opened and we thought we hit the big time. LOL There was a women's only gym called "Andre's Oddessy" above Star Beauty Supply and I used to go there as well. Garden State News to buy "Tiger Beat" and the like (embarassing!) There was an awesome dress shop called "Marilyn's" where I used to get nice dresses when I was a little older. LOFTS CANDY - nice. GINOS PIZZA. Christian Jewlers where we'd get our watches and jewelry fixed and where I got my ears pierced. BLIMPIES (YUM) I think it was Meyers Children's where Mom got our Health Text and Granimals. LOL Klotzer's... I think it's still there... LOVED Klotzer's. Bond Drugs... where we used to go and get all of our prescriptions filled. With 2 elderly grandparents, I practially lived there! LOL I remember the distinct smell of Bond's AND that's where I used to buy my Dr. Scholl's Exercise Sandals. LOL Podewitz, still there, and I still love that Deli. BLIMPIE BASE. Place was gross, but a REQUISITE for the kid set in JC. Don and Rosita's Dance Studio.... nuff said. The meat shop that was on the ave where the poor owners son had his arm eaten by a machine in there when I was in HS (and no one wanted to get meat from there for eons after that). I used to get hair cuts at Andres and at Pyramid. Havemeyers....as you mentioned... and RAYS Pizza, which I loved. Georigh's bakery.... then we'd walk to Kennedy Blvd because Central got a little scary at that point!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,459,907 times
There are lots of places I miss.

I'd take Bradlees and Caldor over Kohls and Target anyday. I miss Two Guys and Korvettes too.

Child World.

(Tr)Action Park. So many interesting ways to get seriously hurt.

Grand Union. I worked there for many years and everyone complained about how expensive it was. Grand Union was still 100,000,000 times better than Stop and Shop (I worked there a couple of years too and it was the worst experience of my life. I still don't shop in the stores, partially because of my experience there.) While we're at it, I miss Grand Way too. (Grand Union's version of K-Mart, before K-Marts expanded all over the country.)

And I miss Circuit City already. Best Buy's prices have already gone up.

There also used to be a cool restaurant called Buffalo Bill's. I don't know if they were a chain or not, but my mother used to take me to the one in Paterson, on Route 20/McLean Blvd. where the Burger King now is. It was a fast food joint, kind of like Arby's, with a western theme. They used to give free meals on your birthday, which is one of the reasons my mother liked it so much!

Ah, memories...

Old 05-23-2009, 11:11 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,974,744 times
Does anyone else remember the great grilled hot dogs at Egan's -- were they in North Arlington? How about The Fountain for Chinese in Lyndhurst? In Jersey City, there was Robinson's Steak House (at Journal Square where the transportation center now stands) and the Canton Tea Gardens on Bergen Avenue (now a Bally's Fitness Center!).

Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 AM

39 posts, read 151,144 times
That Menlo Park shack was rumored to be mob-owned and used sparingly as a meeting place which was why it was rarely open. Don't know if that's true though haha. I remember both Child World and Kiddie City and Toys R Us supposedly put them out of business because of illegal practices such as using their then-unmatched clout in the toy industry (of course Wal-Mart and even Target I think have since surpassed their toy power) to have certain companies not sell to retail competitors. Haha I know this isn't a place btw but I miss Dolly Madison brand ice cream.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times
Zesto's on Rt. 18 in East Brunswick
Two Guys
Korvette's
Howard Johnson's Pistachio Ice Cream, Clam Chowder and Hot Dogs

Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Does anyone else remember the great grilled hot dogs at Egan's -- were they in North Arlington? How about The Fountain for Chinese in Lyndhurst? In Jersey City, there was Robinson's Steak House (at Journal Square where the transportation center now stands) and the Canton Tea Gardens on Bergen Avenue (now a Bally's Fitness Center!).
OMG there is a BALLYS where the Canton was! LOL Too much. I remember Egans and the Jade Fountain and Canton - don't remember Robinson's though.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDBrophy View Post
That Menlo Park shack was rumored to be mob-owned and used sparingly as a meeting place which was why it was rarely open. Don't know if that's true though haha. I remember both Child World and Kiddie City and Toys R Us supposedly put them out of business because of illegal practices such as using their then-unmatched clout in the toy industry (of course Wal-Mart and even Target I think have since surpassed their toy power) to have certain companies not sell to retail competitors. Haha I know this isn't a place btw but I miss Dolly Madison brand ice cream.
OH! Dolly Madison Ice Cream...that takes me back. Nana loved it. Remember the commercials... "Dolly Madison Ice Cream, the flavor you've been dying for....Dolly Madison Ice Cream, find Dolly at your favorite store."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey