Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 34,450 times

Advertisements

I recently switched to FIOS from Comcast its not bad. I did however have with the router for internet now and then. THe customer service is actually very helpful and they answered all my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:17 PM

60 posts, read 289,765 times
Fios hands down. I love it.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,576 times
I give Verizon a thumbs up for having customer service reps located in America that can speak English well. I'd personally avoid Optimum Online just as punishment for that annoying-as-he** TV commercial they play constantly on the NY stations, but I'm weird like that.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:53 AM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
When it comes to cost between Cablevision and Verizon Fios. Verizon Fios is cheaper. With cable vision I was paying about 140 (maybe a little more) for TV and internet. Bandwidth was always a problem because some cable channels simply would not be viewable because of pixelation or simply a black screen. I only had HBO for premium calbe channels. If I wanted showtime and cinemax it would have cost me well over 200 a month and that is without a voip phone which would not have worked that well considering their bandwidth issues. With Verizon I have all 3 services, Telephone, TV and internet and all premium cable stations (no premium sports channels, I don't watch sports alot at all) for 170. To be honest, they did finagle the cost alot. There were a few months when I would not know what I would be paying the next month. Of course I can't blame Cablevision's poor quality service on them alone as the apartment i was living in had the cable coming into the house split quite a few times which will reduce signal quality alot. Also Cablevision techs never seemed to know what they were doing.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM

36 posts, read 158,076 times
FiOS is better in every way imaginable. If they are available in your area, leave Cablevision immediately.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 29,043 times
I have a decision to make. I have Verizon DSL, and they have been to my house 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I keep losing the dsl signal. They sent me a new modem, but that didn't help. I moved the computer into another room (the verizon guy told me to do this). That didn't help. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I am thinking of getting Optima Online triple play for $99.00 a month (I know, it goes up in one year). But at least, hopefully, what happened with the dsl won't be repeated with the Optima online internet connection. I also want to find out if they can use the existing DirectTV cables when they hook everything up. I don't want any drilling. I don't own this house. Any advice is welcome.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:36 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,419,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPh View Post
FiOS is better in every way imaginable. If they are available in your area, leave Cablevision immediately.
Wow! I've never heard anyone say that. I have friends who have had both and Cablevision usually wins. We've had DirectTV and traditional cable, but a couple of years back went to Cablevisions triple-play. It's pretty much perfect for us.

What is wrong with it from your POV? Maybe I'll check out FiOS. Hmmmm.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
I have a decision to make. I have Verizon DSL, and they have been to my house 2 times in the past 2 weeks. I keep losing the dsl signal. They sent me a new modem, but that didn't help. I moved the computer into another room (the verizon guy told me to do this). That didn't help. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. I am thinking of getting Optima Online triple play for $99.00 a month (I know, it goes up in one year). But at least, hopefully, what happened with the dsl won't be repeated with the Optima online internet connection. I also want to find out if they can use the existing DirectTV cables when they hook everything up. I don't want any drilling. I don't own this house. Any advice is welcome.
I would say have Verizon fix whatever is wrong with the DSL line. If they can't figure it out, they can run a new pair to your location. Make sure nothing is loose in the line indoors or out, sometimes rain water or trees rubbing it may deteriorate the signal.
They also offer a FIOS internet service along with a telephone service including unlimited long distance for about the same price.
As a principle I do not pay anything for TV service and get way too may high quality DTV stations off the air free anyway, the "proper" way to receive TV.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:57 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebri View Post
Voice mail allows someone to leave you a message when you cannot answer the phone. Verizon fios does not have caller ID on the TV screen as they do not use IP phones, they use a pots line (plain old telephone system). They will also try to charge you insane amounts of money so make sure you understand everything you are being charged for.
We have Verizon Fios and caller I.D. does come up on our TV screen.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPh View Post
We switched from Cablevision to Verizon Fios and I agree. I'm also paying $30.00 less a month!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey