U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 PM

14 posts, read 40,823 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have just landed a job in downtown Newark (on Commerce Street). Since I have only been to Newark once (when I went to the office for interview), my understanding of Newark is still very limited.

Given that I am just a college grad, if I would like to rent an apartment in Newark or its surrounding towns, which part of the city should I look at ? I expect to pay no more than $1000per month for the rent for a studio/1BR.

Also, how is the public transportation system in Newark? I really do not want to spend more than 20mins to travel to and from my home/office.

Also, I have heard that the crime rate in Newark is really crazy. However, if I only work in Newark and live in some surrounding towns, would that be safe?

As a summary, I am looking for an apartment which satisfies:
1) within 20mins to Commerce Street
2) within $1000/month
3) LOW CRIME RATE and GOOD NEIGHBOR

Thanks in advance for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:06 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,855,791 times
Newark is somewhat of a rough town. A lot of business people work there though as it is the largest city in the state. I honestly don't know if you really want to live in Newark as a college graduate.

There is only one really decent residential neighborhood in Newark and that is the Ironbound. However, this is a VERY Portuguese neighborhood and if you are not from Portugal or Brazil you will likely fell out of place. The Ironbound is quite safe as are many surrounding towns around Newark. Just stay away from Central Newark, East Orange, and Irvington. These are probably the roughest towns in North Jersey.

How close is your office to Penn Station? If it is walkable, perhaps you could find an apartment in Journal Square in Jersey City and take the PATH over? I don't know what apartments are going for right now in Journal Square, but a studio is probably doable with $1,000 per month.

Also if you'd prefer to drive you can look into towns north of Newark such as Harrison, Kearny, North Arlington, Belleville, Lyndhurst, Nutley, or Rutherford. These towns are pretty nice, but I don't know if you'd like living in them being a college grad. Most young people in NJ gravitate towards NYC, and if not NYC then Hoboken or parts of Jersey City. All of these areas are quite expensive though and will be out of your price range of $1,000 per month. (If you live near Journal Square though, you are a quick PATH ride away from all of these areas).

Also keep in mind that the traffic on 21 can be quite bad at times if you live north of the city. What should be a very short drive can end up taking a lot more time.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Default reply

If I am going to live in Edison, Wayne or Parsippany-Troy Hills, how fast can I commute to downtown Newark via public transportation ? Or should I actually choose to drive ?
What are the crime rate and rental price in those 3 towns ?
THanks for your help!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,855,791 times
Check out NJ Transit's webpage for the times of trains. Parsippany doesn't have a train station and Wayne's trains don't go to Newark.

The train from Edison will take you directly to Newark Penn Station. Trains coming west from towns like Summit, Milburn, Madison, Chatham, will all take you to Broadh Street Newark where you can transfer to the light rail to get to Penn Station.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,769,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluray View Post
If I am going to live in Edison, Wayne or Parsippany-Troy Hills, how fast can I commute to downtown Newark via public transportation ? Or should I actually choose to drive ?
What are the crime rate and rental price in those 3 towns ?
THanks for your help!
The only one of the three towns you mentioned that has a train into Newark is Edison, and it's a 20-30 minute ride (depending on whether you get the express train or not). There's probably some bus service from the other areas, but they're both further away, and the commute would be longer.

If you decided to drive from Edison (or consider Woodbridge next door), you could be in Newark in 25-40 minutes, depending on where you need to get to, and what time you're commuting.

Bob

Old 04-09-2007, 01:27 PM

562 posts, read 2,530,896 times
look into Elizabeth.. it's way safer than Elizabeth and has many nice areas.. look in North Elizabeth and Elmora/Elmora hills .. 10 mins or less to newark.. good luck.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
look into Elizabeth.. it's way safer than Elizabeth and has many nice areas.. look in North Elizabeth and Elmora/Elmora hills .. 10 mins or less to newark.. good luck.

Hello jstar41,
do you mean "North Elizabeth" and "Elmora" are way safer than "Elizabeth" ??
Thanks!!

Old 04-09-2007, 09:05 PM

562 posts, read 2,530,896 times
i'm sorry.. i meant Elizabeth is way safer than Newark.. North Elizabeth and Elmora/Elmora hills are in Elizabeth.. and you'll be close to Newark..

Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,335 times
You may want to consider town's outside of Newark, such as Union, West Orange, South Orange, Springfield, Maplewood. These are great towns that just min. away from Newark. Don't get me wrong Newark is a great place, with a lot's of culture in the downtown area. But I feel it would take a getting use to before you move to Newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>