Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Marlboro commuting options: parkingspace, trade offs, huge house, respectable public schools

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,155 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
Yes the time has come for my family (My wife, 3 year old daughter, 1 month old son and myself) to make the pilgrimage from our 2BR co-op Brooklyn apt. to NJ. We have decided to not take the usual passage which is Brooklyn to Staten Island then to NJ. We are skipping right over Stat Nilan as we call it here.
I've been monitoring this board for about 6 months now and have done many searches trying to find "the best town to live in with a relatively short commute to NYC". It seems everyone asks this same question again and again and I know there is never a right answer just some great opinions.
Coming from Brooklyn (3rd generation born and raised) where I hop on an F train and commute to NYC in about 30 minutes, I have gotten used to this lifestyle. I am fully aware and ready for the trade off of having the big backyard, basement, garage. 4 bedroom house but not having that quick commute to NYC as I have become accustomed to.
That being said, after many visits to your lovely state and days and days of research, my wife and I have narrowed our relocation decision to either Old Bridge or Marlboro. We have found the commute would probably take us 1 hour 15 minutes on a good day by express bus up route 9 from Old Bridge but cant narrow down exactly the best mode of transportation from Marlboro aka Morganville. Some say you can drive to the park and ride to get the bus. We have also heard you can drive to a nearby town that has train service but the waiting list for parking is years long. Perhaps pay a local resident to park in their driveway.
Yes we are also aware that not only will we be spending approx. $238.00 per month EACH for NJ Transit but we still need a monthly unlimited metrocard from NYC Transit at 76.00 each. That would bring our grand total for just transportation for my wife and I every month to $628.00. Is it really worth it? Seems like the old movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Get in my car, drive to a bus, take the bus to a train. Reverse order coming home. Will I ever get to spend quality time with my family or does it not matter anymore because I have this big ol house that I never had before. I'm living the American dream right?
I am hoping someone reading this does this commute every day and can offer any pros, cons or just some genuine opinions.
Many thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 11:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2NJ View Post
That would bring our grand total for just transportation for my wife and I every month to $628.00. Is it really worth it? Seems like the old movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Get in my car, drive to a bus, take the bus to a train. Reverse order coming home. Will I ever get to spend quality time with my family or does it not matter anymore because I have this big ol house that I never had before. I'm living the American dream right?
The only person who can answer that question is you. No one else would really know what you are giving up and what kind of home life you currently enjoy. Trade-offs are different for everyone. If you feel unsure at this point in time it is probably a sign that you need to rethink this.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
Why are you moving so far out into Jersey? There are many towns closer to the city where you can find a nice 3br house in the high 300's or 400s.

My first suggestion would probably be Bayonne as you can still buy a huge house there for a reasonable ammount of money. Bayonne also has the light rail which can take you to the PATH & subsequently to the WTC in 30 minutes or Penn Station in 45 minutes.

You also should look into towns outside of Newark and Paterson such as Kearny, Belleville, North Arlington, Lyndhurst, Rutherford, Nutley, Clifton, Totowa, Little Falls, and West Paterson. All of these towns are quite nice and affordable, which commuting times under an hour.. Many also have pretty respectable public schools, so you don't have to send your kids to parochial schools.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 53,810 times
It is a personal choice. I lived in Manalapan for over 10 years. The communte is not that bad (for me) and you get used to it for the home and area trade off. I moved to Altanta for 4 years. Just returned (hated GA) and started looking in all of these towns listed. Especially Clifton. Almost bought one there but decided to take one last look back in the manalapan area. Instanly changed my mind and bought in Marlboro (in Ground Pool) 4 bedroom 3 bathrooms etc. Very worth the extra communte. With all respect to the poster the homes further out are much larger as is the property. In the end it up to you but the commute is only really bad in the summer with beach traffic on a Friday evening. Other than that well worth the trade off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Why are you moving so far out into Jersey? There are many towns closer to the city where you can find a nice 3br house in the high 300's or 400s.

My first suggestion would probably be Bayonne as you can still buy a huge house there for a reasonable ammount of money. Bayonne also has the light rail which can take you to the PATH & subsequently to the WTC in 30 minutes or Penn Station in 45 minutes.

You also should look into towns outside of Newark and Paterson such as Kearny, Belleville, North Arlington, Lyndhurst, Rutherford, Nutley, Clifton, Totowa, Little Falls, and West Paterson. All of these towns are quite nice and affordable, which commuting times under an hour.. Many also have pretty respectable public schools, so you don't have to send your kids to parochial schools.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 PM

110 posts, read 548,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn2NJ View Post
Hello everyone.
Yes the time has come for my family (My wife, 3 year old daughter, 1 month old son and myself) to make the pilgrimage from our 2BR co-op Brooklyn apt. to NJ. We have decided to not take the usual passage which is Brooklyn to Staten Island then to NJ. We are skipping right over Stat Nilan as we call it here.
I've been monitoring this board for about 6 months now and have done many searches trying to find "the best town to live in with a relatively short commute to NYC". It seems everyone asks this same question again and again and I know there is never a right answer just some great opinions.
Coming from Brooklyn (3rd generation born and raised) where I hop on an F train and commute to NYC in about 30 minutes, I have gotten used to this lifestyle. I am fully aware and ready for the trade off of having the big backyard, basement, garage. 4 bedroom house but not having that quick commute to NYC as I have become accustomed to.
That being said, after many visits to your lovely state and days and days of research, my wife and I have narrowed our relocation decision to either Old Bridge or Marlboro. We have found the commute would probably take us 1 hour 15 minutes on a good day by express bus up route 9 from Old Bridge but cant narrow down exactly the best mode of transportation from Marlboro aka Morganville. Some say you can drive to the park and ride to get the bus. We have also heard you can drive to a nearby town that has train service but the waiting list for parking is years long. Perhaps pay a local resident to park in their driveway.
Yes we are also aware that not only will we be spending approx. $238.00 per month EACH for NJ Transit but we still need a monthly unlimited metrocard from NYC Transit at 76.00 each. That would bring our grand total for just transportation for my wife and I every month to $628.00. Is it really worth it? Seems like the old movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. Get in my car, drive to a bus, take the bus to a train. Reverse order coming home. Will I ever get to spend quality time with my family or does it not matter anymore because I have this big ol house that I never had before. I'm living the American dream right?
I am hoping someone reading this does this commute every day and can offer any pros, cons or just some genuine opinions.
Many thanks,
Jeff
I am kind of curious why Old Bridge or Marlboro. I ask because it seems like lots of New Yorkers gravitate towards those towns. I dont' think there's lots of stucco houses in Marlboro, so what is it?

Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 53,810 times
First Jersey Shore Point so close to the Jersey Shore and the beach. Not an awful commute to NYC. Nice home value for the money. Was better when I first moved in (1992) but still a good value now (2008) which is why I am buying again. Great resturants, malls and shopping.

Nice back yard (A real back yard). Good schools and fair taxes. Only thing missing is rail (train) service. They were promising in 1992 they would put it in and I am sure they are still promising but it will eventually happen I am sure. Route 9 is a bit crowded but its all a trade off - and all things considered its a great place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao9999 View Post
I am kind of curious why Old Bridge or Marlboro. I ask because it seems like lots of New Yorkers gravitate towards those towns. I dont' think there's lots of stucco houses in Marlboro, so what is it?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLatins View Post
It is a personal choice. I lived in Manalapan for over 10 years. The communte is not that bad (for me) and you get used to it for the home and area trade off. I moved to Altanta for 4 years. Just returned (hated GA) and started looking in all of these towns listed. Especially Clifton. Almost bought one there but decided to take one last look back in the manalapan area. Instanly changed my mind and bought in Marlboro (in Ground Pool) 4 bedroom 3 bathrooms etc. Very worth the extra communte. With all respect to the poster the homes further out are much larger as is the property. In the end it up to you but the commute is only really bad in the summer with beach traffic on a Friday evening. Other than that well worth the trade off.
In these days of high (and getting higher) gas prices, why try to live farther away from your destination? I'm not sure what your price range is, but there are probably tons of towns much closer that can give better value. And it's not like you're going to be going down the shore every day.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
I commuted from Marlboro to Downtown Wall. Took Academy bus. I walked to the bus station since I lived off of route 9. No need to wait for parking space. Commute was about 1 hour in, about 1.5-2hours back. It is a long commute. Luckily It was just 1 bus. Thats it. No car, no subway, nothing. Just walked to bus station and walked to work in manhatten.

With that being said, I would not be able to handle a car+bus+train scenario. Too long.
I recommend looking closer to the city..

Rutherford, cranford..good luck

Old 05-14-2008, 03:20 PM

171 posts, read 815,252 times
Brooklyn2NJ did you move? Your post is from a year ago, so I'm no sure if you're still looking for info.
I live in Old Bridge. Moved here from Brooklyn almost 2 years ago. My husband commutes to Wall Street; he's tried every option possible. The bus keeps very specific schedule, so you have to stick to it. An hour and fifteen must be on a very very best day, and you still have to drive to the stop. Train stops in Aberdeen or Woodbridge, also varied schedule, and parking is tough. He also drove to Jersey city and took a ferry from there. Any of these options took on average an hour and a half, and cost around $650/month. He now drives to Newark, and takes a path from there. It's somewhat cheaper, and gives more flexibility to his hours, though it still takes as long.
Yes, we also moved for the yard, basement, garage, schools for our boys. But it's a tough trade off. Expensive, the schedule is grueling, and owning a house is an overwhelming commitment. If the housing market wasn't in a dump, I'd be back in Brooklyn by now.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,355,288 times
One thing to consider since your commute time will be so much longer, will you be able to find daycare that is open early enough to drop off so you can catch your train or bus and will they be open late enough after you get off the bus or train? If there is a major delay on transportation will you be able to find an emergency contact.

The area you are looking in has some beautiful homes. More power to you if you can handle that commute, as I know I couldn't.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey