Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:37 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
At least in NJ you can buy beer and liquor in the same place, unlike PA.
Bingo. I went to Pa. for a wedding in April and couldn't believe that I had to go to two different places to get beer and, in my case, wine. I had to go to a damn pizza place for beer that charged $10 for a six pack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:25 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
OK - so much going on here.

First, PA.... I was blown away by that too. After visiting a friend in Blakeslee last summer I was sent to get beer, wine and Mike's Hard Lemonade... I HAD NO IDEA what an odyssey that would lead to!

Second, LIQUOR LAWS: We all know I'm a big fan of my Kettle One, my wine, and several other "beverages." However.... I don't have problems with liquor laws.... I DO see where there are flaws... but I've also had the distinct "pleasure" of burrying 2 friends due to drunk drivers... so I'm not really a fan of saying "SCREW all the laws regarding drinking...."

Third, going back to OP..... there are bigger things to worry about in life than flashing the clerk an ID... and even LAUGHING at how DUMB it is.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:41 AM

111 posts, read 319,202 times
[quote=VeradoDan;8990106]While this is exceedingly stupid, your grandfather's beef should be with our overly-litigious society (and the legislators that codify said litigiousness) that is incapable of giving anyone a break - including an 84 year old guy buying some beer at an A&P. I don't blame the store clerk, however - he or she just doesn't to lose his/her job.
quote]
Yes the clerk is doing their job so technically they are not to blame. The manger how ever is because they don't have to card EVERY person, they do that on their own. They do not have to card anyone over 25. If they do it is because management wants it that way. Even if lets say to be safe they changed it to 29 and under is IDed that would be some what understandable but when you ID someone obviously over that you deserve to lose business and it is understandable for a customer to be mad.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
the guy fought in Korea and is a veteran. He doesnt need to show his ID if he doesnt want to.
Then he doesn't need to get the booze either!

I am on the fence with this. It is retentive, but the whole point is to NOT make it a judgement call, no matter how obvious the judgement is.

Now if the MANAGER knew him, and saw his ID before (or had his own verification of his age from somewhere previous) then he can "vouch" for him and let him get the stuff.

I had the same deal with bars I was a regular at. They would card women up to about age 40, and they all got a kick out of it. I was carded for a while, but I never objected and after a while they knew me and knew I carried my ID with me (in the wallet with the $$ for the booze, not a seperate little thing that maybe I would forget, etc etc).

It also helped to know their names.

The cashier at that place may have just been put in a bad situation and told, specifically, no booze or cigs w/o ID.

Strictly according to the law, the cops COULD send in an 80 year old and give you a ticket if you did not check.

Maybe the law needs to be rewritten to allow SOME judgement, but it gets sort of sticky.

OTOH, policy should be made that store owners and clerks are not looking out for 30/40 year old cops trying to tag them to fill their unwritten quotas.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:18 PM

As for the rest.

The PA laws are ridiculous. But each state is different. I think it is the same in NY (at least NYC). I see many stores selling hard liquor, but no beer. It may just be that you do not make as much money on beer and need more space to house it to stay profitable, so it is just not worth it, but I don't know.

Cali also had some strange stuff. I believe they have the wine right in the grocery store, but other stuff is in the liquor store next door. I may be a little of on that.

Now, as for carding. Any state that has a hard rule that makes it necessary to card everyone should be brought into the real world. The whole gist is to try and prevent abuse by minors.

MANY minors buy booze and it is usually easy to see them. Quantity, Quality and Price are some ways to tell. Some young looking kids with baseball caps (put on strait, they are not ALL dumb enough to keep them skew when buying something like that) buying something like Popov Vodka (or any other in a plastic bottle) or several cases of Natty light might be under more suspicion than a younger looking guy buying a 6 of Sammie or a $50 bottle of single malt.

I am not saying that rich kids should be allowed to drink because they go and buy an expensive bottle, it is just a way to get a feeling for the kids ages (I saw a LOT of that down the shore this weekend!!!!).

Finally, drinking age. This is a tough one, and maybe should be looked at more carefully. I believe you are allowed to give your own child alcohol, to a certain limit (too much could be determined to be endangerment), but a glass of wine at dinner, and ONLY your kids (not friends) is, I THINK, legal.

But I think, past a certain age, small ales of booze should also be legalized. Like an introduction. Beers under, say, 6% ABV, should be allowed to be purchased in quantities less than, say, a 6 pack. The 6-6% rule. When they get older, one of these restrictions should be lessened. Either remove the % (since most younger drinkers will not go for the Barleywine, let alone even know what Barleywine IS), or increase the limit to 1 case (Or allow wine purchase).

The whole purpose is to try and make these late-teens and post teens more accustomed to alcohol drinking without making it so they get to college and binge on the forbidden fruit.

We have to realize that frequent early exposure to alcohol increases the risk of alcoholism, but at the same time realize that absolute forbidding can lead to some dangerous situations when they are finally introduced with not only no control/oversight, but also encouragement to overindulge......

Old 05-27-2009, 03:26 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times
[quote=JerseyCity201;9000999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
While this is exceedingly stupid, your grandfather's beef should be with our overly-litigious society (and the legislators that codify said litigiousness) that is incapable of giving anyone a break - including an 84 year old guy buying some beer at an A&P. I don't blame the store clerk, however - he or she just doesn't to lose his/her job.
quote]
Yes the clerk is doing their job so technically they are not to blame. The manger how ever is because they don't have to card EVERY person, they do that on their own. They do not have to card anyone over 25. If they do it is because management wants it that way. Even if lets say to be safe they changed it to 29 and under is IDed that would be some what understandable but when you ID someone obviously over that you deserve to lose business and it is understandable for a customer to be mad.
Uhm, OK. So aforementioned manager is responsible for a CORPORATE policy? I think not. The manager has to follow the rules set by the idiots that run the company as much as the clerk does. Welcome to why America is in it's demise.....

Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
Dingo, if you see this could you get in touch with me for a story I am working on for my newspaper? My email addresses are [email]billerv@aol.com[/email] and [email]ervolino@northjersey.com[/email]
Thanks
Bill Ervolino
The Record

Old 06-04-2009, 09:59 AM

I don't think you need the [email] tags. I believe this proggie (Vbulletin?) will do it automatically:

test@nowherespecial.com

Old 06-04-2009, 02:01 PM

86 posts, read 247,900 times
yes it has gotten to the point, if a place doesnt ask an undercover cop for ID they can loose the right to sell beer.

its really not something to cause a scene about though. no need to take out on the person who is trying to keep their job particularly in this economy. if showing ID is that much of a problem than i am sure the stores offer the free option "Don't buy it".

Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 PM

86 posts, read 247,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
the guy fought in Korea and is a veteran. He doesnt need to show his ID if he doesnt want to.
so what. does he give this same attitude to cops and FAA when flying or only to someone trying to keep their job at a store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: