Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:56 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
It has come up for vote before and the people always vote to keep them. Its not even something I think about anymore. Its slightly annoying but you can travel to the neighboring counties if you need to shop. I wouldn't consider it a major downfall of Bergen County. Its actually kinda nice to have a break from all the people and traffic on the highways.
I agree Kevin. It's nice to have a "peaceful" day without all the traffic. Every now and then I think "Shoot, I wish I could go here or there today!" But it's not the end of the world.

There are plenty of other options within short distances.... Hudson County, Passaic County, Essex County, or even the Nanuet area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 AM

318 posts, read 450,557 times
People don't need to be shopping 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I just find it sad that people have to be forced to stay at home with their families and take a break from shopping.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:59 AM

Certain stores just don't pay attention to the blue laws. They will just pay the fines if they need too. I know one gift shop owner that does just that. He said he makes enough by opening on Sunday year round to pay the fines and be done with it. BUT it depends on the municipality, some are more strict than others. I remember I used to work in Paramus and they were so strict that we could not go to the OFFICE on Sundays. We had a satellite location in Rochelle Park (also in Bergen, but less strict) and we used to have to go there if we had to do work on a weekend.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
People don't need to be shopping 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I just find it sad that people have to be forced to stay at home with their families and take a break from shopping.
Incredible notion, isn't it?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:04 AM

318 posts, read 450,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Incredible notion, isn't it?
Agreed. And like you pointed out if you have to get out and shop, what's wrong with a Sunday afternoon drive to one of the next towns over?

Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2jm3jm4jm5 View Post
Agreed. And like you pointed out if you have to get out and shop, what's wrong with a Sunday afternoon drive to one of the next towns over?
Exactly, honestly, I think that makes it the best of both worlds.... peace and tranquility one day a week... BUT you can get to the store if you need too.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
Target in Hackensack use to be closed on Sundays, not sure if it still is. I know the BJ's in Paramus would be open on Sunday but they had areas roped off.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:35 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
These stores that are open, they cannot sell wood, furniture, clothes or alcohol. I know BJ's in Paramus is open, just certain sections are closed off, so that you cannot buy those certain items.

The people of Bergen County have voted to keep the Blue Laws. Traffic is difficult enough. At least there is one day of easier traffic.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:41 PM

191 posts, read 590,994 times
interesting, i never would've guessed so many people like the blue laws. i grew up in bergen county and didn't like them growing up, nor would i prefer to have them now. not so much that it deters me from living here, but it'd be nice to have shopping as an option on sundays.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:37 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
interesting, i never would've guessed so many people like the blue laws. i grew up in bergen county and didn't like them growing up, nor would i prefer to have them now. not so much that it deters me from living here, but it'd be nice to have shopping as an option on sundays.
If you ever need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot, they have both in Paterson. Home Depot is brand new, just opened up a few months ago. And they have 3% sales tax, which is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey