Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,938 times

Advertisements

Protect our Blue Laws!
[url]http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/protect-bergen-county-blue-laws[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
They shouldn't be totally repealed , but i think it should be repealed for Main Street areas. That would encourage local shopping and not mall shopping. Lets face it , America's Main Streets are dying due to these Mega Mall's.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
It could happen. Here in OC, nothing was allowed to be sold on Sunday except "necessities". You'd go in a variety store and you could buy sunscreen or band-aids, but all the beach balls and stuff would be in a roped-off area. But then they realized you can't charge people $100,000 rent for a store while they have less than 3 months to make all their money for the year, AND not let them do business on Sunday.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:26 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
I predict they will go away this year. Christmas is on a Saturday, and the day afte christmas (this year sunday) is one of the biggest shopping days of the year. NJ will lose too much money. If Bergen wants to keep their laws, let them. Just cut the $65M from their aid (or put a $65M surcharge on their income tax) to make up for it.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I predict they will go away this year. Christmas is on a Saturday, and the day afte christmas (this year sunday) is one of the biggest shopping days of the year. NJ will lose too much money. If Bergen wants to keep their laws, let them. Just cut the $65M from their aid (or put a $65M surcharge on their income tax) to make up for it.
The Blue Laws have survived alot and i highly doubt we will lose aid since we are the largest County by Population @ almost 1 million.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM

10 posts, read 33,184 times
i love the blue law!

it should be all over usa

Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,134 times
We need to repeal this law. If you don't want to maybe you can pay for all of my property and income tax increases. What's that you say? No? Why wouldn't you want to pay my bills, those of you who don't want shopping on a Sunday? We would only have to come up with $65 million as taxpayers.

Times have changed, and you need to get with them, as the saying goes, those of you opposed. If it comes up for a vote, I'm voting yes. Unless you want Passaic county to continue to get our dollars that we spend on Sundays, or Rockland County at the Palisades Center Mall. I'm sure the residents of Wayne love taking our money on Sundays and enjoying lower taxes than Bergen County.

Wake up and smell the coffee people, it's money, and for those of you who say money isn't everything, then just provide me with your address and I will gladly send you my tax bills, since you must be so rich it doesn't matter to you and you will gladly fork out more to cover mine when you vote against it, since that's what we do here in NJ, fork out tax dollars.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:54 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
We need to repeal this law. If you don't want to maybe you can pay for all of my property and income tax increases. What's that you say? No? Why wouldn't you want to pay my bills, those of you who don't want shopping on a Sunday? We would only have to come up with $65 million as taxpayers.

Times have changed, and you need to get with them, as the saying goes, those of you opposed. If it comes up for a vote, I'm voting yes. Unless you want Passaic county to continue to get our dollars that we spend on Sundays, or Rockland County at the Palisades Center Mall. I'm sure the residents of Wayne love taking our money on Sundays and enjoying lower taxes than Bergen County.

Wake up and smell the coffee people, it's money, and for those of you who say money isn't everything, then just provide me with your address and I will gladly send you my tax bills, since you must be so rich it doesn't matter to you and you will gladly fork out more to cover mine when you vote against it, since that's what we do here in NJ, fork out tax dollars.
For starters, as you inadvertently admit, money made on Sundays in Bergen County will pull from Passaic county (as well as Hudson and Essex counties). It's a MYTH put out by the Retail LOBBY who provided the mythical 1.1 bil/65 mil figure to Christie. If Paramus is going to make 1.1 billion on Sundays, how much will the surrounding counties of Passaic, Hudson, and Essex LOSE???? What part of that 1.1 billion will actually pull from the sales totals from the other days of the week??? Of course, all of this is conveniently ignored for the political agenda of a power-drunk fat man and his minions of money-worshiping supporters.

And who is going to pay for the decrease in value to all those homes in Paramus due to the lower quality of life in that town? Who will help them pay their taxes go up to pay for the extra police and public services needed for that extra day of business??? Are you willing to pay the extra taxes to the county for their police and county services on Sundays to help keep the roads and stores safe and to manage the crowds for one more day? Who's going to pay for the effect on our environment brought on by an additional day a week of higher pollution?

WHEN (not if, but when) Paramus raises the taxes on retailers, who do you think will pay for that tax increase? Those of us who shop there will pay it through higher prices.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-31-2010 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 PM

153 posts, read 488,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
this reminds me of the people who move to Englishtown, knowing that it is home to a dragstrip, then they complain -- wanting to close the place down
Or in this area, move a block away from the boardwalk and then fight to get the town council to enact no-tolerance noise ordinances after people dare to talk loudly on the beach in July.

As far as the blue laws up north, once in a blue moon I have to drive up to that area for one thing or another and it's always a headache. If I lived there I might want a day of freedom too. I can completely understand why people want to keep them.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:12 PM

153 posts, read 488,687 times
And FWIW, how will the taxes of Bergen County go down if stores are open Sundays? Local property taxes have nothing to do with sales tax. Will the property on which the malls and big box stores sit be worth THAT much more as ratables if they are allowed to be open on Sunday that it would actually affect the local tax rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey