Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2016, 11:38 PM

62 posts, read 76,026 times

Advertisements

Moving from South Jersey (Cherry Hill area) to North Jersey. I plan on commuting to NYC and found that those counties all have reasonable traveling distance. It is me, my wife, and my son. We are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house with a price of $200k-400k. We are looking for a nice suburb that has a decent amount of amenities. We don't want to be in a REAL city, just looking for a nice suburb that has the basics: bars, movie theater, couple mini-shopping malls, major resturants (Applebees, PF Changs, etc).

Topography wise we love hills, trees, lakes. Flat and open is bad We are young parents raising kids so we also don't want a town that is too rural. We'd rather a town with a decent amount of recognizable places to eat than a bunch of small mom & pop places. A real mall within a half hour is also ideal.

So far we have found good homes for good prices in places like West Milford, Wayne, Scotch Plains, Rockaway, Morris Plains, Mt Arlington, Butler, and Denville. However, it is hard to get a true feel for the town. Anyone familiar with Cherry Hill would understand that it is not a real "city" but there is tons to do in the center, but outside the center it is nothing but nice developments. We are aiming for middle class-upper middle class areas, and would rather a "newer" town with updated buildings. Really not trying to sound snobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 05:43 AM

585 posts, read 492,357 times
Most of the towns you mention are somewhat similar, except West Milford and I am not too familiar with Mt Arlington. West Milford is (I think) the largest town in New Jersey, and with a commute to NYC you could be looking at spending a lot of time getting to and from work. You can get a very nice house there, but you are going to be far from almost everything else. I haven't heard the best things about the Butler school system, but I live in Parsippany, and I have heard bad things about Parsippany that just aren't accurate.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:54 AM

324 posts, read 574,731 times
How long are you willing to commute and what part of the city would you be working in? Some of the towns you mentioned would likely have a trip of 2 hours each way. As I'm sure you've noticed already, much of the area closer to the city is not what you're looking for and the homes are more expensive than in South Jersey. $400k doesn't put you in middle class in some of these areas and probably not upper middle class in any.

From what you've provided, I wouldn't recommend making this move, but if you're really set on it, I'd probably recommend Rockaway and to prepare for a very long commute. The other towns are either even farther, out of your budget, or don't really have the chain stores and new buildings that you're looking for.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:18 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
From what you posted Wayne is your absolute best bet. You'll be at the very top of your budget to find a 3BR not in a flood zone but decent commute, good schools, lakes, hills, and just about every kind of food and retail establishment in the US has a home somewhere in Wayne or within a 5-10 minute drive of Wayne.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:39 AM

510 posts, read 499,755 times
Wayne is about as cookie cutter suburban as you get. Try that place.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:19 AM

62 posts, read 76,026 times
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I was looking to keep commute under 2 hrs, either driving just outside the city and taking the path or finding a train that goes directly to manhattan. I will certainly look into Wayne, Parsippany, and Rockaway. Thank you!

Old 06-10-2016, 07:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Chain stores? You drive to them, that's what suburbs are all about. Closest-in you could get on that budget is West Orange; hills, trees, bars, mini-shopping mall, TGIFridays, and two malls (Short Hills and Livingston) in easy driving distance; most chain stores are on Rt 10 in East Hanover. Downsides: taxes are high, high school is not so good, there's no train (in some places there's a town jitney to a train), and town is not "new".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey