Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 12,084 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I have recently started at a position in Newton NJ. I'm looking for any advice on some places within a 40 minute commute that would good for a 23 year old single female. From what I see of Newton there is not much going on there. I think everyone knows what sort of things a 23 year old would be looking for in a town so I won't go into detail. I would also like something on the more affordable end (under 1000 for a 1 bedroom, preferably lower) and safe. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,455,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm5019 View Post
Hello everyone I have recently started at a position in Newton NJ. I'm looking for any advice on some places within a 40 minute commute that would good for a 23 year old single female. From what I see of Newton there is not much going on there. I think everyone knows what sort of things a 23 year old would be looking for in a town so I won't go into detail. I would also like something on the more affordable end (under 1000 for a 1 bedroom, preferably lower) and safe. Thanks!

Congratulations on the new job! You are correct that there is not much going in Newton for a single 23 y.o. professional. The nearest place that does would be Morristown, however Morristown is more than a 40 min commute and you will not find a one bedroom rental under 1000/mo. (Perhaps a roommate situation/solution?) You can find some lovely rentals in and around Newton within your budget all are in pretty safe areas, but alas there is no singles scene. You might try Hackettstown, it has a little more going on, but not really much. TBH there really is not much of a singles scene to be found anywhere in Sussex County. I'd suggest finding a nice suitable rental near your work, and going to Morristown (or elsewhere in NNJ) on the weekends for the social activities. Perhaps sticking to the southern part of Sussex County, making the commute to work short and the trip to Morristown (or Summit, Milburn, Montclair, etc) shorter. The rent would be a little higher than you would find in northern Sussex County, (but still around 1000/mo) but you'd be closer to some nightlife and social scene.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 10-16-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the congrats and the response! Couple follow up questions then...about how long does the commute take from Morristown to Newton? Bing maps says 44 minutes and it would be the opposite direction of most of the traffic. Also any thoughts on Parsippany, Dover, or Rockaway?

Old 10-16-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm5019 View Post
Thanks for the congrats and the response! Couple follow up questions then...about how long does the commute take from Morristown to Newton? Bing maps says 44 minutes and it would be the opposite direction of most of the traffic. Also any thoughts on Parsippany, Dover, or Rockaway?

Bing maps obviously does not drive here, lol. (nor does it take into account traffic lights let alone traffic. I'd double the time it says the trip will take at a minimum.) I live not far from Morristown, (about 8 minutes to the Green, located in the heart of Morristown) The last time I drove to Newton, it was on a weekend - meaning no traffic, and no highway construction either, it took about an hour. The reality of the situation is that, I am afraid your are mistaken when you say you will be going against rush hour traffic. There is major traffic going north on 287 to get to rte 80 every rush hour, and in the am 80 west is heavy traffic from the 287 interchange until Rockaway/Rte 15 exchange. (some say pretty busy all the way west to Mt Arlington, but less than between 287 and rte 15.) The traffic in Morristown is also heavy, lots of traffic lights, etc. Once you hit 206 north, it should not be too bad, except for some traffic around the International Trade Zone. I have not taken the drive during rush hour, but I feel it is safe to assume it would be in excess of an hour each way. And mush mush longer if there is weather or a traffic accident. (count on that happening at least once a week) 287 is jammed every day north and southbound between rte 80 and 78 during both rush hours. Add into the mix that they are still doing major construction to the 287/80 interchange which causes further delays. (though they do try to do most of the actual construction overnight, the barricades and lane diversions/closures are up round the clock.)

As for the other towns you mention, none of them have any sort of singles scene, save for a limited one in Dover, which is limited-mostly Hispanic males on street corners hanging out. Dover is not a bad town, it is about 64% Hispanic immigrants and a very blue color environment. I have never felt unsafe walking in downtown, but I do not spend much time there, and rarely go at night. (though I do get to practice my Spanish and Portuguese speaking skills while shopping there) Rockaway is a nice community mostly of young families. Parsippany has lots of apartment complexes, but the price will be higher then your budget. (though a roommate situation would make it do-able) There does seem to be a bit of crime and drugs at the large complexes though from what I gather from the news accounts. Fairly large (Asian) Indian population in the Lake Hiawatha section. Although Parsippany and Rockaway offer lots of retail opportunities, it is mostly families, not singles. Rush hour in any direction is rough on rte 46 through Parsippany, Denville, Rockaway and Dover.

I did want to mention if you are looking at apts in NW Morris County, or southern Sussex Co, you might want to steer away from those large complexes in Netcong and Budd Lake due to crime, vandalism, and drugs. There are however lots of apartments available in the area that are not in complexes where safety would be an issue - mostly older homes made into several apartments and the scattered duplexes, etc.

HTH
Koala

Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Thank you for providing so much information, that was very helpful. It sounds like I should just try to find something nice right in Newton and travel for the nightlife. Are there buses that go directly into Morristown on the weekends?

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 AM

I am not too familiar with public transportation in Sussex County, but do know that it is EXTREMELY LIMITED, and what little there is is mostly for commuters to the larger cities (Newark, Jersey City, Hoboken, NYC) so it would run m-f rush hours only. You can check out NJ transit's website for more detailed info. I do have to ask...will you have a car here in Jersey? (I cannot imagine surviving in Morris or Sussex Counties without one!)

KoalaNJ

Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Public transportation is very limited and the "singles scene" is virtually non-existant in Sussex County. Great place to raise a family and if you're outdoorsy, but that's about it. And get ready to do a lot of driving if you want to go into Morristown or elsewhere.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Yes I do have a car, I'm coming from pike county so I'm used to having a non existent singles scene, but was hoping for a change. I guess my best bet is to stay somewhere close to Newton and save up my money. It seems like the most affordable option for now. Thanks again for the help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey