Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,671 times

Advertisements

I'm going be staying up there for a little bit and was wondering if you guys knew much about this area....I know newark is kinda rough but what about Elizabeth????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
I grew up there through elementary and high school, back then it was just like anywhere else, in fact many of the bigger retail stores either had stores in town or even started there. Over the years I have heard of isolated things like drive by shootings, etc. I would think much less than in some towns but that still bugs some people out understandably. Overall there are some really nice and quiet residential areas, stately even, and there are some less desirable but usually safe areas.

It's also a bit historic since it was settled around 1666 but most people overlook that. During the bicentennial they did that Washington horse ride from Washington DC to New York and we went to see the reenactment as they rode through to the foot of the waters and took a boat to NYC.

During college years my girlfriend was selling newspaper subscriptions over the phone and there was one area, not there anymore, where they would tell the customers, "Sorry we don't deliver to that address". Anyway Eliz is so big that you could be many miles away from that part of town. Even so, I go into that part sometimes to have someone work on a car or something and never had any problems.

Which part of town are ya journeying to?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM

88 posts, read 367,545 times
It's a bit edgy.. It's next to Newark ... Apples don't fall too far from the tree. It's not O-town.. so just be aware of your surroundings and you will be ok

Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I grew up there through elementary and high school, back then it was just like anywhere else, in fact many of the bigger retail stores either had stores in town or even started there. Over the years I have heard of isolated things like drive by shootings, etc. I would think much less than in some towns but that still bugs some people out understandably. Overall there are some really nice and quiet residential areas, stately even, and there are some less desirable but usually safe areas.

It's also a bit historic since it was settled around 1666 but most people overlook that. During the bicentennial they did that Washington horse ride from Washington DC to New York and we went to see the reenactment as they rode through to the foot of the waters and took a boat to NYC.

During college years my girlfriend was selling newspaper subscriptions over the phone and there was one area, not there anymore, where they would tell the customers, "Sorry we don't deliver to that address". Anyway Eliz is so big that you could be many miles away from that part of town. Even so, I go into that part sometimes to have someone work on a car or something and never had any problems.

Which part of town are ya journeying to?
Thanks for the feedback...I'll be staying a few blocks from Jefferson Park....

Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncorleyone View Post
It's a bit edgy.. It's next to Newark ... Apples don't fall too far from the tree. It's not O-town.. so just be aware of your surroundings and you will be ok
Yeah I know...I'm usually really good at watching my surroundings...

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
Default Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Hmmm, Well is is a residential area, but in honesty probably the kind of place where you have to lock your car most of the time.

That is in the part of town east of the Amtrak tracks and between the railroad and US 1&9 highway.

I'm sure most people there are not looking for problems and just want to live but you might have to look out for the mischievous young kids out for a night of fun.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:21 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Okay, I just have to respond. Please keep in mind that this is coming from a former 20+ year resident whose in Elizabeth on a weekly basis, knows Elizabeth cops, and knows people who live in that area.

The Jefferson Park area is absolutely not a good area, never has been, and is, in fact, one of the worst parts of Elizabeth. It is predominantly Haitian, with some black and Hispanics. The actual Jefferson Park is notorious for being one of the worst drug spots in Union County and there are shootouts in the park on a regular basis. Many just don't make the papers, but ask any Elizabeth cop, off the record, and they'll tell you. Go up a couple blocks to Jefferson and Magnolia and you'll be smack in the middle of a notorious dope spot that's been dangerous for at least 25 years. There's also plenty of projects, Section 8 housing and gang activity in that area.

In short, this is a bad area, and depending on what you're there for, I would take this advice: Don't walk alone at night, watch the colors you wear, and be careful of who you stare at. Basically, just watch your back.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Okay, I just have to respond. Please keep in mind that this is coming from a former 20+ year resident whose in Elizabeth on a weekly basis, knows Elizabeth cops, and knows people who live in that area.

The Jefferson Park area is absolutely not a good area, never has been, and is, in fact, one of the worst parts of Elizabeth. It is predominantly Haitian, with some black and Hispanics. The actual Jefferson Park is notorious for being one of the worst drug spots in Union County and there are shootouts in the park on a regular basis. Many just don't make the papers, but ask any Elizabeth cop, off the record, and they'll tell you. Go up a couple blocks to Jefferson and Magnolia and you'll be smack in the middle of a notorious dope spot that's been dangerous for at least 25 years. There's also plenty of projects, Section 8 housing and gang activity in that area.

In short, this is a bad area, and depending on what you're there for, I would take this advice: Don't walk alone at night, watch the colors you wear, and be careful of who you stare at. Basically, just watch your back.
I hate to admit it but E-Town is right. I lived in Elizabeth almost 30 years and while there are some great areas IMO, Jefferson Park is NOT one of them. Even tho I grew up in that city and have no fear going into any neighborhood, I watch my back at night on the street over there. Driving through your probably fine as long as you keep it moving. The further north you are from the park the better it is. For example, the portuguese section near North Ave is really not bad at all. I was at a bbq there a few weeks ago and the kids were playing on the sidewalk and in front of the house and we had a beautiful day.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:10 AM

587 posts, read 2,178,208 times
Elizabeth has an abnormally high amount of registered sex offenders living there.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 20,050 times
Default Elizabeth has really changed

OK! You can take this for what it's worth. I grew up in the no mans land section of Elizabeth back in the 50's and early 60's. I finally migrated west when the NJ point system finally caught up with me in 1971. We called no mans land the section that was surrounded by the port (east of division street), the Berg (south of Elizabeth Avenue), North end (north of E. Grand Street) and up to Broad Street. Back then, the port was mainly a mix of whites, blacks and peurtoricans, the Berg had the Italians, Elmora was mainly white and mostly Jewish and North end was predominately white with a lot of blacks on the southern fringe. Back then, we all sort of got along to a degree. Sure, there were fights and **** happened but it was minor. In the late 60's, a major Cuban influx began with most of the Cubans coming from professional backgrounds. They purchased a lot of properties in the declining areas and soon there seemed to be a transformation. The ghetto areas along Elizabeth Ave and Jersey streets were being bought up and refurbished. Things appeared to be looking up. Then I moved and this is my first visit back in 38 years. All I an say is WOW! WTF happened. My old neighborhood looks like a war zone. Houses are boarded up, bars are on most windows, and all the large beautiful trees that once lined the street are gone. Most familiar landmarks in the area have been either changed or no longer exist. The element hanging around and roaming the streets looked really scarey. I got the balls to stop at one familiar site, Jerry's famous hot dogs right there by Elizabeth Ave and South Street. Stopped and spoke to the new owner about how I use to come here after setting pins at St. Mikes and picking up 2 or 3 hot dogs with mustard & sauerkraut for fifteen cents each. He clained that everything was the same except the price (now 2 for $3.50) but the kraut didn't quite have the crunch it had in the past. I'll still give it another try before I go back to the West Coast; maybe it was because it was late in the day and the kraut was a little soggy. Overall, a good dog like I remembered. Everywhere I went down the port, I was being eyeballed by all the people in the streets, I had the smarts not to stare or make direct eye contact but I got the distinct feeling that I was not safe. Being a blond haired, blue eyed white boy, I really didn't fit in and it showed. I was not scared but very precautious and ready to haul ass in a heartbeat if necessary. When I told my old friends about my adventure, they exclaimed that I was crazy for doin that and going to those areas at night. They said they wouldn't even go there during the day. So what's up? Is it as bad as it appears or am I just reading more into this than there really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey