Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 05:52 AM

39 posts, read 123,738 times

Advertisements

High Schools:
Is the Freehold Regional High school district better than the Middletown districts? I know there are 6 high schools in the FRHSD. Which are best?

Also, since my kids won't be in high school for quite awhile I am slightly more interested in the elementary/middle schools.

For example, which has the best elem/middle schools? Freehold Twp, Marlboro, Howell, Manalapan,... or the Lincroft/Middletown schools???

If you can name any specific schools in those districts that would be great : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
I can tell you Freehold Twp., Marlboro, and Middletown South have great schools. Middletown South would include Lincroft, Nutswamp, River Plaza and Navesink Elementary Schools. The last time I checked, all the Freehold Twp. schools did very well on test scores. You really can't go wrong with any of the above elementary/middle schools.

I don't know about Manalapan or Howell, although I'm sure someone else could fill you in on those.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
what makes a school better? how are the rankings determined? i believe i asked this question before but i dont think anyone answered, cant find where though.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what makes a school better? how are the rankings determined? i believe i asked this question before but i dont think anyone answered, cant find where though.
According to the Dept. of Education:

The annual New Jersey School Report Card is required under a 1995 state law. It presents thirty-five fields of information for each school in the following categories: school environment, students, student performance indicators, staff, and district finances.

The assessment results displayed on the New Jersey School Report Cards are based on the state assessment data without any NCLB conditions applied. Therefore, the assessment data in the NJ School Report Card may be different from the assessment data displayed on the NCLB Reports where there have been NCLB conditions applied to the test results.

For more info:
New Jersey Department of Education

Old 06-02-2009, 01:16 PM

thanks, ill look that over soon. i just think i would rather have a safe school with little diversity but not so high test scores. my mom lives in holmdel and she says the school is great there but im afraid that would mean my kids would be competing for class rank with chinese kids who do nothing but sit at home doing math problems.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
thanks, ill look that over soon. i just think i would rather have a safe school with little diversity but not so high test scores. my mom lives in holmdel and she says the school is great there but im afraid that would mean my kids would be competing for class rank with chinese kids who do nothing but sit at home doing math problems.
Yes, I know what you mean. Ideally, I'd like a good school with a tight community that has diversity as well. I don't want my children to live in a bubble.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Yes, I know what you mean. Ideally, I'd like a good school with a tight community that has diversity as well. I don't want my children to live in a bubble.
i grew up in morganville and went to marlboro schools. i loved my bubble. i like oriential folk but they present a greater challenge for my kids (future kids) to crack the top 10% of their class academically.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
i grew up in morganville and went to marlboro schools. i loved my bubble. i like oriential folk but they present a greater challenge for my kids (future kids) to crack the top 10% of their class academically.

Hey, don't underestimate your (future) kids!
"oriental folk"? That made me laugh.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Hey, don't underestimate your (future) kids!
"oriental folk"? That made me laugh.
i dont really want to have to push them like the oriental parents do their kids. my parents were pretty easy going and i managed to crack the top 15%.

i know the politically correct term these days is "asian" but what if i am just talking about the chinese types and not the indian types? those indians dont intimidate me academically but those chinese types have me worried. however, in my community i would prefer chinese to indians because i find indians unattractive. the chinese dont really do it for me either but they are higher on the scale than indians.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:23 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,361 times
Lincroft has very high traffic. The Parkway, Brookdale Comm College and CBA all bring thousands of people and their cars through Lincroft. Kind of turns me off.
The veterinarian I use is in Lincroft and I dread the trip there more than the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: