Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
damn, I missed that one

OK... so there was one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
there are some deals that look fantastic compared to 2006. But stepping back and comparing them with pre-bubble numbers puts it into perspective.
yeah, and I remember when a slice of pizza was 55 cents...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 AM

79 posts, read 127,568 times
False analogy. House prices rose in the bubble at a rate far above that of all other inflation.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM

231 posts, read 587,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfwnj View Post
False analogy. House prices rose in the bubble at a rate far above that of all other inflation.
You can say that again. Case in point, Edison, NJ.

2000 Median Home Price: $182,100
2007 Median Home Price: $397,400 (+ 118% vs 2000 Median Home Price)
Median Home Price Feb-Apr 2009 (from Trulia): $302,100 (+66% vs. 2000 Median Home Price)

Projected price of homes for April 2009 based on CPI data: $226,714
(This is the price that homes would have been today if they tracked the CPI, which historically homes have done in the past. CPI for April 2009 is 24.5% higher than it was in 4/2000)

Now if you compare today's prices at $302,100 vs the CPI-projected prices of $226,714, you see that prices still currently 33% inflated when compared with what they would have been if price trends followed the CPI. So based on these calculations, it becomes apparent that prices could easily fall this amount without overshooting historical norms.

Now I realize that the figures above are really ballbarks and discount many other factors (household income, taxes, savings rates, etc. etc.) and the use of median prices has its flaws as well. So no, this is not a calculation proving that prices will fall an additional 33%. It's just to prove a point that prices are still highly inflated.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
damn, I missed that one

OK... so there was one
there are MANY more where that came from.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,413,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
unemployment is a lagging indicator

people are buying houses.

but, please do keep renting -- landlords love you paying their mortgage for them !

Ummm not so sure why you think I am renting. Sorry to tell you I am not.

Please don't assume you know what happens, don't you?

Old 06-03-2009, 11:27 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I just want people to realize that the so called "bears" on here are still 100% right on. Home sales may increase but prices CONTINUE to fall. "Bears" have been saying all along that prices for homes need to correct. So for each new sale becomes a new ceiling for the next sale. House A sells this month for $100k, House B (same type house) sells next month for $100k - 1%. Repeat....

So we can get into a GOOD NEWS VS BAD NEWS debate but really the "Bears" platform is PRICES NEED TO CORRECT and that is happening. (At least that has been my only point really from day 1 on here)
Some people like me rent and if the rate of depreciation for a home is less or equal to renting then buying is a smart choice considering the tax breaks we get.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:10 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Some people like me rent and if the rate of depreciation for a home is less or equal to renting then buying is a smart choice considering the tax breaks we get.
The exact same thing two doors down to what I'm renting now sold in 12/08 (most recent sale of the same I could find). The monthly interest on 80% of what it sold for at 5%, plus the HOA, and taxes comes to 91% of my rent. If I can earn 3% on the 20% down and subtract that from the rent it's 100% - renting the home costs the same as renting the money to buy the home.

Of course that interest is tax deductable and rent isn't - then again I didn't itemize last year anyway. And there's insurance and maintenance costs on the owning side.

If I thought prices were going to rise buying would make sense, if I thought they were going down it wouldn't. Don't forget the costs of selling, the price increase needs to cover that before it counts as an increase - over whatever my expected ownership timeframe is.

Note that I'm not counting repayment of principle on the owning side at all - so "building equity" is irrelevant, since that equity is simply those payments and on the renting side I can just invest them in some other vehicle.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
You guys are talking about 2 different sets of numbers. What's really important are not m-o-m sales, which we all know are seasonal, but y-o-y sales. Again, the NAR data show that nationally, pending sales are up y-o-y, which would indicate the beginning of a bottom forming...nationally. As it stands now, sale prices, especially in NY metro, continue to decrease on a y-o-y basis. For NY metro, the y-o-y price decrease for March was almost 3%.
y-o-y, m-o-m, yadda yadda yadda...

"pending sales" are a leading indicator, not a measure of actual sales. don't beat up the author of the article over something that is clearly disclosed.

irrational optimism was a problem during the peak, it's logical to assume there will be irrational pessimism as we tread up out of the valley.

the concept of pent-up demand seams pretty reasonible -- just because the economy is in the toilet doesn't mean all the irraltional girlfriends/wives out there don't want their white picket fences.

if I wasn't in the middle of all my primary residence projects, I would look into buying a foreclosure to rehab, I just don't need the headaches of another house right now.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:03 PM

79 posts, read 127,568 times
Quote:
... it's logical to assume there will be irrational pessimism as we tread up out of the valley.
Where are we treading up to?

Every bull seems taken with the idea of "recovery" to somewhere. Where? How? Irrational girlfriends aren't going to magically reinflate the credit bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey