Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 07:54 AM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,926,167 times

Advertisements

We saw a nice house in new providence, but there is commuter rail road track right outside of the backyard. The lot of the property is around 215 ft in length. Outside the back fence, there are some more trees and then you can see the track and overhead wiring. Will this be the concern when re-sale? The noise level is not that much, and the biggest concern we have is the overhead high voltage wiring next to the track. I am not sure if the distance is far enough to be safe for human...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,454 times
this would be a huge issue on resale. there are plenty of homes out there now, i'd look elsewhere if i were you.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM

220 posts, read 623,768 times
In short "YES". These homes even in a good market are a difficult sale. But like in anything...if the price is right, someone will buy...just like you at the moment considering it....there will be another person(s) out there who will be thinking the same whenever you go to sell IF you are smart about its cost. My fathers childhood home (which is still in the family) has a HUGE backyard that borders the commuter train in Cranford. It has clearly been a wonderful house/home for our family members for literally decades. I must admit, the noise (due to HOW close this train really is) throws you off when you are a vistor at the property & a train comes through BUT when you've lived there forever, you don't even notice it. It is all in your preference & desires. There will be MANY people afraid of the presumed "danger" associated with the tracks (children, pets etc) & will automatically be turned off but if you don't have these issues & you plan on staying for awhile...do what is right for you. I would definitely make sure this is the house of your dreams though...it would be a shame if you moved in, were unhappy & then had a lengthy, difficult time unloading it. But if you LOVE it, and you have no problems with the train & plan on staying....it's all relative in MHO. If in 30 years you want to sell...be prepared for it to take longer than the average & be willing to take the hit in price compared to others in your town...it's the nature of the beast. Someone may say differently but that's how I look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: