U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,196,730 times

Advertisements

We're selling a small, empty house (no furniture) that needs a new kitchen in a grade A location in a top town in Monmouth County.

Our original deal fell through. First contract was signed back in Feb. We've contacted two brokers for prices. The first one gives us a price, 8% lower than what we originally went to contract for. The second gives us a price 12% lower than the original selling price.

My gut tells me to go for the lower price and that we'll have better luck selling quickly. I get the feeling that buyers get angry when they see houses they feel are overpriced. However my spouse is afraid that buyers will negotiate down from there and we might as well hang the higher price on it to allow wiggle room.

Of course we can always split the difference but that's wishy washy.

What to do?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM

55 posts, read 188,562 times
With a depreciating market obviously prices should be lower than they were a few months ago. When you were interviewing this agents they should have been showing comps for sales in your area. Go off these. The buyers always set the actual price anyway. Use the agent that you feel more comfortable with. Make sure they are willing to communicate to you on a weekly basis to let you know what is going on in your market. If it is priced right it will SELL!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:32 AM

21,367 posts, read 29,068,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
We've contacted two brokers for prices. The first one gives us a price, 8% lower than what we originally went to contract for. The second gives us a price 12% lower than the original selling price.

My gut tells me to go for the lower price and that we'll have better luck selling quickly. I get the feeling that buyers get angry when they see houses they feel are overpriced. However my spouse is afraid that buyers will negotiate down from there and we might as well hang the higher price on it to allow wiggle room.

Of course we can always split the difference but that's wishy washy.

What to do?
I would start googling real estate agents in that area. (example - Monmouth County real estate)
Go to their company web site as well as their private site.
Example would be a remax office - from there you find an agent and get links to their sites.

I would go to realtor.com and look above and below price wise for similar houses. Take note of the better ads.

I would then pick a few of the better ads and google the MLS number to see how much more web advertising they are doing.

From there, I would pick 3 more agents to interview. I have a question sheet if you'd like me to DM you a copy.

Right now, online advertising is helping to sell houses. Any agent I pick would have to have an enhanced realtor.com page as well as decent photos.

When you interview 3 more agents, they will bring sold comps, hopefully that will help you decide where to price.

I wouldn't drag my feet or waste much time.
The market usually slows down in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey