Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM

220 posts, read 623,537 times

Advertisements

The shore house I go to in the summer is directly across the street from a grammar school...since it's summer, the only drawbacks are that the school bells are on an alarm system & ring all summer long (starting early in the AM) & sometimes there is some noise of kids playing on the swing set there....nothing too disturbing about it.

I am mildly interested in a year round home that is DIRECTLY next door to a large grammar school...I can guess some of the drawbacks: traffic a certain times of the day (& night I guess when there are functions), kid noise at recess (which I really don't mind) but are there any other drawbacks that I am missing? Anything I haven't thought of from someone who has had this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
It all depends on what your daily schedule is like to be quite honest. If you work during the day, you will not even notice the bells or kids once they are leaving the school as school is out around 3:30pm for grammer schools and after school activities are usually done by 5pm. If you work during the day, all this will be over by the time you get home and you will not be bothered by children "hanging out" at the school. Once in a while, I would spot kids at the school during a Friday night or Saturday night just hanging out or smoking but again this is rare. I have been near regular grammar schools and high schools and I found that high schools tended to have this more but even then it was not often. Personally, I would not have a problem living near a school again but I hope this information will help you a bit. Good luck with your home search!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. I kind of thought it wasn't a big deal....

Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Yeah it is not that bad. I never had a problem. Plus it allows your kids to walk directly to school if they are in the age bracket of the school. GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Oh, one last question....any problems selling?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
We live a block away from the High School and 2 blocks away from the Elementary School. Luckily our schools have no bells (boy I remember those bells as a kid!)
We also live less than a mile from the train station (NEC), so we do hear the train whistles.
The minor issue that we deal with is bus traffic. The HS starts at 7:30 am and dismisses at 3 pm, the school moves 1600 kids in/out in about 10 minutes (a remarkable feat). The late buses 5 pm and 6 pm are a non issue.

"Back to School" nights might be a bit annoying but we let our buddies park in our driveway
Kid noise has never been a problem for me!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz555 View Post
Oh, one last question....any problems selling?
I would be lying if I said that all people do not mind but I have never seen a very notable difference in selling a home near a school versus selling a home not near a school. Some people like living close by and some don't. I tend to find that the people that purchase homes near a school are the ones that are going to have children attending said school at one point or another.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 AM

Thanks everyone. My only experience with selling near a school was with a HS & it was different story....large sporting events in the evenings...bright lights, loud announcers & screaming fans....lots of traffic....the house never sold.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: