Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:13 AM

955 posts, read 2,156,787 times

Advertisements

My thoughts and prayers are with the Governor for a speedy recovery. I think that he can set an example for the rest of the state on seat belt usage. I spent thirty years in the automotive industry in product development and saw hundreds of impact tests showing the great difference in the ability to withstand a vehicle crash while wearing a seat belt versus not.
According to widespread accounts, the Governor did not wear seat belts. From the written accounts of the accident, he was probably not wearing one at the time of the incident. New Jersey (where my wife hails from) has seat belt laws with a provision for damage reduction if a person was not wearing one at the time of the accident. Since a State Trooper was driving the vehicle, I wonder why the Governor was allowed to ride without one. Finally, he was fortunate that he was riding in a SUV at the time. The physics of crash decelleration and vehicle crush greatly favors occupants of such a vehicle. I have seen in my career too many cases where seat belts either save leves or greatly reduce occupant injuries and I strongly favor enforcement of the laws. I never back out of the driveway without one correctly attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 09:34 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,621,948 times
And that once again leaves us with Dick Codey as acting governor! Maybe he WON"T make any "critical" decisions this time.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
Too bad he didn't get thrown thru the windshield- he could have become the poster boy for why you should wear seat belts.............

Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,928,947 times
Now, now Bob.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I can't believe, in this day and age, anyone could be so ignorant as to not wear a seatbelt. I feel terrible for the governor of course, but seriously, what an ignorant thing to do. Did they figure out who the hit and run driver of the other vehicle was yet?

I like Codey...I would have voted for him had he run during the last election.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Now, now Bob.
Yes, I know.....a bit harsh.....

But it just drives me insane that these idiots put these laws into place and then can't seem to follow them themselves. I realize the seat belt law was in place before he became governor, but what happened to "leading by example"? Of course, we now get to pay for the Medi-vac flight, the surgeries, the extensive rehab, etc., all because he was too lazy to do something as simple as putting on a seat belt.

Bob

Old 04-13-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I feel terrible for the governor of course, but seriously, what an ignorant thing to do.
See, now that's where you and I differ. I can't feel sorry for someone who suffers because of their own stupidity and/or ignorance. If he was wearing a seat belt and still got banged up, I could feel sorry for him- but not after being so stupid. And this guy is leading our state...........

Bob

Old 04-13-2007, 03:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yes, I know.....a bit harsh.....

But it just drives me insane that these idiots put these laws into place and then can't seem to follow them themselves. I realize the seat belt law was in place before he became governor, but what happened to "leading by example"? Of course, we now get to pay for the Medi-vac flight, the surgeries, the extensive rehab, etc., all because he was too lazy to do something as simple as putting on a seat belt.

Bob
As much as I want to argue it...I...can't. Our state leaders DO put these laws into place, I mean, if you or I have to follow the law why shouldn't they? I do like Corzine (even met him in Sea Girt), but now I think seatbelt laws are going to be enforced ten-fold and I think it won't be fair for everyone who already DOES wear their seatbelt...

Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 PM

I saw the press conference this afternoon naming Codey as acting governor. When Corzines chief of staff was asked if the governor wears his seat belt, he just gave a kind of half assed grin and something to the tune of the governor is not very receptive to suggestion. He also said that if he wasn't wearing the belt he should be issued a summons by the state police. Now I know many will say why didn't the tropper that was driving Corzine demand that he wear the belt and the answer to that is unfortunatly that's not the way it works. I've known many troopers assigned to the governors detail and can say this. All were pretty happy with the detail save a few that worked on Florios. I don't know any that work on Corzines but would guarantee that if they made waves they would be off the detail in a heartbeat. I'm interested to see what happens.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Too bad he didn't get thrown thru the windshield- he could have become the poster boy for why you should wear seat belts.............
Bob, don't hold back tell us how you really feel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey