Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,914,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
actually in NY you pay less to pump it yourself
And you still pay more than we do in NJ to get it pumped for us. Half wit.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,251,183 times
Quote:
I would like to know how come you can't make lefts in NJ? And what's up with the local and express lanes on the highways? It's hard to really know what lane you're supposed to be in if you're not familiar with the areas. I have missed my exit many times b/c of this. Also, is there anywhere NJ that doesn't smell? And why can't I pump my own gas?
I can't think of too many places in NJ that smell at all. Maybe a few exits on the Turnpike...that's it.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:22 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,251,183 times
Quote:
lol, i'm not looking to move to jersey...but thanks for the tip.
You are better off staying on the isolated wasteland known as Long Island.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
I can't think of too many places in NJ that smell at all. Maybe a few exits on the Turnpike...that's it.

Great....theres a new slogan for New Jersey to attract new residents and tourists :

"We don't have too many places that smell......well......maybe just a few"

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,945,497 times
All states have smelly spots. You can't even freaking breathe in LA half the year. And what about all the nasty smelly CAFOs (not in Jersey)

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,885,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBone View Post
Everyone mentions high taxes. I assume they mean property taxes?

Property taxes are high in NJ because there is so little property to tax. We live in a small state.
I wonder if there is a way to compare what the property taxes would be in PA, NC, SC or FL if they were the same sq miles as NJ?
Don't forget the main reason the taxes are so high here -- that's what supports the schools. Municipalities are forced by the state constitution to fund their school systems with local property taxes. It will take a constitutional convention to change that.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:26 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,885,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
k. There are a majority of communities with zero lot lines. If you put your hand out a side window of your home & your neighbor does the same you can just about touch hands.
Come to Bayonne -- I guarantee you can do the same thing in many neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:42 PM

636 posts, read 1,421,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

Also, why do you want to pump your own gas when you are charged more for gas you have to pump yourself in just about every other state in the union?

You make a "self serve"aisle, gas stations will use THAT as their base price and try to charge extra for the "service".

It is bad enough you can't get anyone to even clean your windshield anymore (used to be standard!) I don't want them making it so automatic all you have is one guy in the stations Quik-E-Mart to handle everything.
We pay less for gas because of taxes. And there's no legitimate reason for NJ to REQUIRE gas stations to pump our gas. If certain businesses want to do it, fine. But it shouldn't be forced.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,616,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Bear View Post
My views on NJ and it's people are certainly no more skewed than your views of other people and places. ;-) Look at what you've written!

Again, those who embrace what NJ is about obviously are going to love it. That doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. Looking at NJ objectively when compared with other locales, NJ is an expensive, stressful place to live with a materialistic culture. That doesn't mean this applies to everyone everywhere, I'm just talking about the general/average. For sure, NJ is not "normal" compared with most places in terms of expense, general stress level, or materialistic culture.

And my comment about spending money was a direct response to all of the things people mentioned about the "culture"/dining/entertainment/etc. available here, almost all of which requires spending $. And yes, I do lots of things for fun and entertainment that don't require spending money. I'm fortunate to have friends and family that aren't into that "set", which is a precious thing in this region these days. And while it's inconvenient to have to drive, there is LOTS to do in neighboring states. It would be nice to have all of those opportunities not require a full day or a long drive though, that is one of NJ's big drawbacks. For example, if you like outdoor activities beyond going to the beach or the county park, the local options in NJ are very limited (yeah I know, the people who think they're "in the woods" in Morris County are gonna disagree...). The Pine Barrens do provide some good options, but for me that's farther away than many "bigger & better" areas in NY and PA.

so this really confuses me....we're close to NYC,Philly, Boston, DC, Catskills, Poconos, skiing, beaches, delaware water gap....

can you give me an example of a place where you DON'T have to drive a "long" way to get to everything above? or do you just have an issue about crossing state lines, and if you do...I don't get it?!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,616,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
All states have smelly spots. You can't even freaking breathe in LA half the year. And what about all the nasty smelly CAFOs (not in Jersey)
worst smelling place i've ever been to is in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey