Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfasdf View Post
Yes, New Jersey is as horrible as you've heard, speaking as someone who lives there. Moved there from PA, and unlike those who have never left NJ their whole lives, I can see the differences and how much worse it is.

For one thing, you lose a shocking amount of money in taxes and much higher insurance rates just compared to PA. Then there's the complete lack of natural beauty (in south NJ). Just flat, swampy land with busy roads clogged with cars and endless strip malls. And NJ beaches, which you're forced to pay a fee to go on, are not all that great.

Then there are the asinine laws making it illegal for you to fill your own gas tank, forcing you to wait for some guy to slouch over and do it, and then wait again for him to come back when it's full. There are many more reasons I hate NJ, but that's probably enough to give you an idea. And for those NJ lifers whose witty reply to me is "why don't you get out then?" I say "I'd LOVE to, and can't wait to do so and let you have your cesspool of a state all to yourself." Have a nice day.

Aaahhh, so the miserable people we encounter on a day to day basis are really transplants looking to get out!

By the way, just like any other state, NJ has some not-so-pretty areas and some gorgeous areas. Being very familiar with South Jersey, I can't even believe you'd make that statement. I just love hearing from people who move here, live in their own little area, and decide to make judgements on the entire state. I've lived in almost every part of NJ as well as the South, the West Coast, and the Mid-West. NJ has a LOT to offer.

Oh, I meet nice, polite, helpful people almost every time I go out. Try making eye contact and being kind to others. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread until you touched on sacred ground. I will not pump my own gas!!

I needed to get out of NJ and come back before I began to appreciate it.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,280 times
So many people think that pumping your own gas is some kind of priveledge, or that by getting rid of that law gas prices will miraculously drop.

Whatever.

I would like to get back to the time when these guys would ask if you wanted your windshield cleaned and check your oil!!! Odd than many still call themselves "service" stations when the only thing they have LEFT is pumping the gas.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfasdf View Post
Then there are the asinine laws making it illegal for you to fill your own gas tank, forcing you to wait for some guy to slouch over and do it, and then wait again for him to come back when it's full. There are many more reasons I hate NJ, but that's probably enough to give you an idea. And for those NJ lifers whose witty reply to me is "why don't you get out then?" I say "I'd LOVE to, and can't wait to do so and let you have your cesspool of a state all to yourself." Have a nice day.
Pay more for gas in PA and pump it yourself.. sounds like a sweet deal

Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
So many people think that pumping your own gas is some kind of priveledge, or that by getting rid of that law gas prices will miraculously drop.

Whatever.

I would like to get back to the time when these guys would ask if you wanted your windshield cleaned and check your oil!!! Odd than many still call themselves "service" stations when the only thing they have LEFT is pumping the gas.
Remember when gas stations actually gave you gifts for buying gas there?

Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM

Free air fresheners. Tiger tails (get a tiger in your tank). And teh Hess trucks were relatively CHEAP!

No, I don't remember any of that.

And I have never been to Argentina.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:12 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
Pay more for gas in PA and pump it yourself.. sounds like a sweet deal
That has to do with gas taxes, not gas pumping laws.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
Not a lifer but I did my research before moving here - as any rational person would do - and I'm very happy here.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Michigan Man View Post
That has to do with gas taxes, not gas pumping laws.
Yep.

But as was said either earlier here or elsewhere, removal of the pumping will not lower the price one bit.

But whatever. It was just a response to a person ranting about NJ being a "cesspit" I believe. Generally speaking, anyone who starts ranting about a place is rarely one to give an objective commentary on its blessings and curses.

So if he is so upset that someone is ambling over to his car to fill the tank, maybe he does not have anything else more important to worry about.

(BTW, there are good stations and bad ones. If you do not LIKE the one that takes too long, you can try another until you find a guy that moves a bit faster. But that is really NOT IMPORTANT when talking about NJ as a whole. Geez, why don't we have people start to complain about something more important. Like the color of the sand at Wildwood or the size of NJ Tomatoes or some other life threatening malady that will consume us all in a torrent of malevolent destruction!!!!!!!

Or not.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:36 PM

636 posts, read 1,423,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Yep.

But as was said either earlier here or elsewhere, removal of the pumping will not lower the price one bit.

But whatever. It was just a response to a person ranting about NJ being a "cesspit" I believe. Generally speaking, anyone who starts ranting about a place is rarely one to give an objective commentary on its blessings and curses.

So if he is so upset that someone is ambling over to his car to fill the tank, maybe he does not have anything else more important to worry about.

(BTW, there are good stations and bad ones. If you do not LIKE the one that takes too long, you can try another until you find a guy that moves a bit faster. But that is really NOT IMPORTANT when talking about NJ as a whole. Geez, why don't we have people start to complain about something more important. Like the color of the sand at Wildwood or the size of NJ Tomatoes or some other life threatening malady that will consume us all in a torrent of malevolent destruction!!!!!!!

Or not.
How do you know that removing labor costs wouldn't lower prices?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:32 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,302 times
Some people are not happy no matter where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey