Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 06:58 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgufl View Post
I have lived in Weehawken for 4 years now (previously a renter and now an owner). I am getting mixed reviews of the schools. But as far as commute goes, if you work in Mid-town Mahhattan, Weehawken is probably the most convenient place of all New Jersey. For comparison, I used to live in Newport in Jersey City and took PATH to work, and I can tell you that the buses (private+public) in Weehawken are faster and more flexible than PATH. You can take EVERY SINGLE bus that goes through Lincoln tunnel (which is a lot) because Lincoln Tunnel is in Weehawken (and so is Port Imperial). The buses run 24/7, so you almost never have to wait or watch the bus schedule, especially at the stop on Marginal Highway@pleasant avenue. I sometimes take buses there at 4:15AM (to catch a 6AM flight from LGA). It is a small town, and no matter where you live, you are at most 5min walk from a bus stop. In early morning when there is no traffic, the bus ride is about 6min to Port Authority. Morning rush hour is about 15min, and the worst is in the evening, which can take 25min. My company is 15-20min walk from Port authority, and my door-to-door commute is anywhere between 30min and 45min.
Purely out of curiosity, how many of those busses are full when they go by? I take the bus from midtown Hoboken, and the last stop before the tunnel is in Weehawken (near Hi So Thai). By that point, busses are packed like sardines, and I look out the window to see sad and frustrated people who can't squeeze on. I always feel sorry for them being the last stop before the tunnel. I think I would just walk over to the ferry if I lived over there. I'm sure there are other less busy stops in town, and this particular one being at the end of the Hoboken route is likely a result of the Hoboken busses being overcrowded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 01:58 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Purely out of curiosity, how many of those busses are full when they go by? I take the bus from midtown Hoboken, and the last stop before the tunnel is in Weehawken (near Hi So Thai). By that point, busses are packed like sardines, and I look out the window to see sad and frustrated people who can't squeeze on. I always feel sorry for them being the last stop before the tunnel. I think I would just walk over to the ferry if I lived over there. I'm sure there are other less busy stops in town, and this particular one being at the end of the Hoboken route is likely a result of the Hoboken busses being overcrowded.

The stop he's referring to sees so many buses that while many of them will be full, you're bound to find one that's not standing room only. It helps that it says standing room only right on the bus so you don't have to stop them then exit awkwardly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey