Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 12:30 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,682,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
Hello, My husband and I have always lived in NJ--Central--but we are about to retire and are looking for a state with lower taxes and less snow. Where do NJ teachers retire?? Any ideas? Thank you!
One of the most important considerations when retiring (after financial feasibility) is what do you want to do when you retire. Activities? Climate? Family and friends? If you move to a place you could easily become bored if you do not take into consideration your life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 01:13 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,981,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The massive teacher cuts are just beginning (in the school and university level) and I truly hope your daughter is not included in those cuts. But the state of Florida has a long tough road ahead of it and when you compound that with the extreme amount of brain drain that is occuring in that state it will only get worse. I think there are much better options in the other popular retirement states for a retired teacher to obtain work in a state that is more stable economically. Texas would be a great choice for example.

Budget cuts, brain drain, drown Florida universities

The Oracle - Low faculty pay may be to blame for 'brain drain'
I can only report whats actually happening from live sources.....not newspaper clippings.......while some areas may be experiencing layoffs thats not unrealistic in this economy as many states have similiar budget issues, however, her job is not only secure but they are looking to hire for some grades. The teachers in her school and district are actually receiving state bonuses for achieving academic improvements above what even charter schools have produced so apparently theres money in Florida somewhere. If you don't have live sources who actually teach in Florida to provide you with accurate information it might be wise not to post a skewed personal opinion that people might rely upon to make an important decision.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I can only report whats actually happening from live sources.....not newspaper clippings.......while some areas may be experiencing layoffs thats not unrealistic in this economy as many states have similiar budget issues, however, her job is not only secure but they are looking to hire for some grades. The teachers in her school and district are actually receiving state bonuses for achieving academic improvements above what even charter schools have produced so apparently theres money in Florida somewhere. If you don't have live sources who actually teach in Florida to provide you with accurate information it might be wise not to post a skewed personal opinion that people might rely upon to make an important decision.
What more proof do you want, these are facts?

Central Florida Teachers Laid Off By The Hundreds - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/ocala.marion.county.2.935354.html - broken link)

http://cbs4.com/business/broward.schools.budget.2.1003378.html (broken link)

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/mar/...rs/?printer=1/

Old 06-20-2009, 01:46 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,578,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
If you don't have live sources who actually teach in Florida to provide you with accurate information it might be wise not to post a skewed personal opinion that people might rely upon to make an important decision.
Dmmcauley gave some "live sources" as you call them.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
What more proof do you want, these are facts?

Central Florida Teachers Laid Off By The Hundreds - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/local/ocala.marion.county.2.935354.html - broken link)

Expect Dozens Of Teachers To Be Laid Off - cbs4.com (http://cbs4.com/business/broward.schools.budget.2.1003378.html - broken link)

Retirees, laid-off teachers among throngs of job-seekers : TCPalm.com

They should apply where my daughter teachers......

Old 06-20-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Dmmcauley gave some "live sources" as you call them.
I can't speak to Sarasota.....my daughter doesn't teach anywhere near there.....

Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
this is not a thread about the quality of florida schools or teacher compensation. keep it on topic.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM

191 posts, read 591,575 times
one teacher i know retired and moved to arizona.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:04 PM

39 posts, read 72,490 times
Default where to retire

the southern states have low taxes and homes are relatively inexpensive compared to the northeast. food is good and people are graceous (although they generally don't like yankees, quiet as it's kept) I lived in B'ham for 15 years then moved to NJ (from NY originally) I now miss B'am and the many good friends I made there Won't go back to live, though Northeast is in my blood I'll just visit often!

Old 07-05-2009, 03:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,410,768 times
Personally, I would stay in NJ. If you want to retire elsewhere go to PA or DE.
Would not suggest the South as it is ever changing and not in a good way.
Gone are the days of the good old polite southern charm, it has been replaced with out of control growth, increasing tax burdens, higher crime rates, and many other issues.
Give me the opportunity and I would be back and taxes be damned.
There is an old saying, you get what you pay for and if you come down south and are of retirement "age" then make sure it is a Sun City or another age controlled community.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey