Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:00 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,921,539 times

Advertisements

They retire to Monte Carlo, buy a yacht and gamble away all the money they've pilfered from the taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:48 PM

604 posts, read 2,013,216 times
I agree w/Georgia ... first hand experience is better than general expectations/assumptions. If I have a family - children, grand children - I would stick around in PA or DE...and I have already put my two cents about DE.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,795,738 times
I don't know if you'd be OK with going this far or not, but Arkansas is nice, and so is New Mexico. Austin, TX is nice also, and very cheap for a city with a lot to offer. Delaware sounds like the best option if you want to stay close. PA is good but too much snow still. I really liked Virginia when I worked in Richmond, maybe that would be a good option? There are lots of beautiful, rural, genteel areas in Virginia, and much less snow but not quite the amount of oppressive heat of North Carolina and points further south.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 PM

96 posts, read 284,535 times
I think you'd be better off staying right where you are until the econmy improves.
Every school district throughout the country is having problems retaining the teachers they already have.
Looking for a place to retire to and where you can still continue to teach is going to be tough.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,116,302 times
I know a bunch of teachers from northern NJ who retired in the 1990s and moved to the Poconos. I think the much lower housing prices, lack of tax on pensions, plus a reasonable driving distance from friends and family in NJ has a lot to do with it.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:12 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,416,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
They retire to Monte Carlo, buy a yacht and gamble away all the money they've pilfered from the taxpayers.

Talk about bitter!! Come on man lighten up!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,320,098 times
Default South Jersey may be a great idea!

It may come as a surprise to some, but New Jersey is much more tax friendly to retirees than it is to those still gainfully employed. Consider South Jersey if you'd like to remain local and save on taxes too.

Retired couples in New Jersey receive the income tax benefit of enjoying the "retirement income exclusion," where the first $20,000 of your income is tax-free! Unless you have a six-figure retirement income, the inclusion helps keep you in a relatively low state income tax bracket.

Also, many of South Jersey's communities with significant retiree populations enjoy relatively low property taxes. Friends of mine in Toms River own a three-bedroom ranch-style home on a quarter acre that has a property tax bill of barely $200 per month... and this is not in one of TR's many age-restricted "retirement" developments. (A similar home in my North Jersey community would have a tax bill of $500 per month. I know... I own one!)

If you're okay with a modest lifestyle, South Jersey may be your answer for retirement heaven. Just as the OP requested, lower taxes and less snow!

Old 07-07-2009, 09:59 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times
Personally, I would retire to one of the US territories, either Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands. Laid-back island living seems appealing to me once I'm retired. Even though I doubt people my age will be able to retire at all. We'll work until death...

Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM

35 posts, read 140,390 times
I want to thank you all for your comments. I guess I'm not looking to remain in NJ. I love my friends here--but we can communicate via email and phone. I'm also not looking for another teaching job. I might like to volunteer--but I don't want to have to report to duty for a long while. We are looking for no snow, warmer temps, cheaper living--if we have to rent awhile to find an area we will do that. Have heard that Calabash, NC area is nice---and heard that SC has areas also--with a view. We aren't golfers--but we do like fields and meadows and some privacy. All in all, this has been wonderful to read--and as far as Monte Carlo goes--LOL--that was a lot of fun to think about--but I KNOW that the writer was never a teacher. !! You have NO IDEA how much money is zipped out of our paychecks--and how much we have to pay in our jobs to keep our classrooms and students up and running! To all of you who are teachers--I praise you! We have a great purpose in life. That's why I would love to find teachers in another state.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM

604 posts, read 2,013,216 times
Thanks for the feed back, soontoretire!! You are a rare bird who communicates rather than just "takes" what one wants without any response to all the respondents who take interest in your venture!!

NC and SC are warmer in weather but sometimes they are not as receptive to (whom they consider), the "yankees"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey