Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 05:07 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times

Advertisements

They come to Pennsylvania where their pensions are not taxed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM

47 posts, read 252,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
Hello, My husband and I have always lived in NJ--Central--but we are about to retire and are looking for a state with lower taxes and less snow. Where do NJ teachers retire?? Any ideas? Thank you!
Go for a state with no income tax like Florida or Texas. But having recently done a three year tour of duty in Texas, I'd say look at Florida first.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
There are a lot of internet sites that help you figure out the best place to live.
I only saw one that listed the best places to RETIRE.
It is not a new study, but Kipliger's found that DELAWARE is the best state in the entire country. I am surprized that more people don't know this.
There are three counties, the bottom two are where the lowest taxes are.

Another thing people do not know is in New York State they have a program named STAR. I once saw ALL the benefits of this program, but they are hard to find. It was VERY favorable. I think you had to be living there for a while, but your property taxes were frozen and your retirement income was hardly taxed, etc. I am not sure, but I think there were great public transportation deals and all sorts of programs.

I was thinking of moving in the vicinity of Rochester once.

Whatever you decide, be sure to check out that some will tax investment income and tangible property. Some low tax states will have high county taxes (Florida?) depending on the county and town taxes, too.

If you have kids to inherit, inheritance tax law will apply for that state.

This is a really good site, specifically for retirees. I notice the STAR program is mentioned here. It is not double talk and you might do well to try to crunch the numbers and research this for yourself. People who I once worked with would tell me to look into it and I would laugh because NY taxes are supposed to be so high.

Taxes by State

Don't let the generalities on the first page sidetrack you. Look up their individual states and see how your specific situation fares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey