Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:56 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolly View Post
Thank you all for the great responses, this is tremendously helpful to us. We've decided to rule out Bloomfield for now -- the high taxes, the downtown being so far from the northern sections, less walkable, less community feel... We considered compromising on these when we saw the value we could get house-wise (more space, more updated, better layouts). However, the questionable school system was really the "make or break" issue for us.

So we're off to see more houses in Nutley and Rutherford this weekend... If you don't mind my following up with another question, I looked over the NJ Monthly HS rankings that elflord1973 posted, and was just a tad disheartened to see my two "top towns" more than a few scrolls down the list (Rutherford #72 and Nutley #141!?). I know these rankings shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I'm wondering if there are any towns that fit my criteria & price range that I'm missing.

Are there any towns further up on the list that have a similar commute to midtown New York (by train or bus, not driving)? We've looked in Livingston, Verona and Cedar Grove, but they were a bit too far. And I think Glen Ridge's home prices plus taxes take it above our $375k upper limit. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help!
Also consider South Orange/Maplewood (Columbia high school on the list I showed you)

Or you could wait for the real estate shake down to run its course

Or you could buy in Bloomfield for now and worry about high schools later when house prices are back to normal.

Or go through the schools near the top of the list that are on the njtransit line, starting with Millburn(!) and see if you can find a place within budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM

102 posts, read 261,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmolly View Post
Thank you all for the great responses, this is tremendously helpful to us. We've decided to rule out Bloomfield for now -- the high taxes, the downtown being so far from the northern sections, less walkable, less community feel... We considered compromising on these when we saw the value we could get house-wise (more space, more updated, better layouts). However, the questionable school system was really the "make or break" issue for us.

So we're off to see more houses in Nutley and Rutherford this weekend... If you don't mind my following up with another question, I looked over the NJ Monthly HS rankings that elflord1973 posted, and was just a tad disheartened to see my two "top towns" more than a few scrolls down the list (Rutherford #72 and Nutley #141!?). I know these rankings shouldn't be taken too seriously, but I'm wondering if there are any towns that fit my criteria & price range that I'm missing.

Are there any towns further up on the list that have a similar commute to midtown New York (by train or bus, not driving)? We've looked in Livingston, Verona and Cedar Grove, but they were a bit too far. And I think Glen Ridge's home prices plus taxes take it above our $375k upper limit. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help!

I agree with a previous poster, as i was looking into Bloomfield as my starter house. If you have young children, you can stay in Bloomfield and move before high school. Montclair has a good school district, you'll have to sacrifice the size of your home, to fit budget.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM

256 posts, read 841,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestlequik View Post
I agree with a previous poster, as i was looking into Bloomfield as my starter house. If you have young children, you can stay in Bloomfield and move before high school. Montclair has a good school district, you'll have to sacrifice the size of your home, to fit budget.
People generally dont want to move their kids once they are in school if they dont have to.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
People generally dont want to move their kids once they are in school if they dont have to.
yeah, tradeoffs, tradeoffs.

Moving around needn't be so bad if you're not moving far though. For example, a move from Bloomfield to Glenridge or Montclair would be negligible in distance.

However, if it were my choice, I'd be content to either take a very modest housing option in a good school district, or go with a decent if not exceptional school district (e.g. like Bloomfield or Nutley) instead of getting caught in a game of "keeping up with the Joneses".

I think the whole "good schools" thing is misleading anyway -- because most measures look at outcomes without establishing a meaningful baseline, which means the results say more about the socio-economic status of the neighborhood than the effectiveness of the educational programs in question.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:20 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Numbers are 59% for Bloomfield vs 72% for Nutley.

But that's not really an apples to apples comparison -- Nutley is similar (in terms of property values, incomes, demographics) to North Bloomfield. I wonder what percentage of kids in the Oakview and Brookdale districts go on to 4 year colleges ?
We moved out of Bloomfield 14 years ago after living in Brookdale section. Both children graduated Bloomfield High and have gone on to receive Masters. The high school was headed down hill then, with problems with gangs, kids living outside Bloomfield attending the high school, over crowding, etc. I lived and was educated in Nutley and at that time it was a great town to live in. Recently I have heard the education system is also suffering.

You might check into Cedar Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey