Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,622 times

Advertisements

My husband has been relocated to SI. We will be moving our family this summer. We know we want to live in Jersey. I have been researching towns in a 30 mile radius of SI to find what we are looking for. We prefer a smaller town. We have a child that will be in Jr. High and we want to make the change as easy as possible for him. We have lived in a small SC town since his birth and the High school he would graduate from has about 1300 students. We prefer something compatible. I have found a town South River. I have not visited yet, but I like what I have found. I need honest opinions about this town. Housing? Schools? Shopping? etc. I have been reading the forums and and have found that sometimes a person has a negative comment about a town in one forum and then a positive in another. Please give me any and all advice!!! I also like Manville. any opinions on this town. We plan on spending 350-4k on a house. If you know of any other towns that you think fit our needs please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,890,993 times
Default My opinion

IMO- I think it's cute little town. Very Mayberryish. Walkable downtown, with grocery store, banks, delis, pizzerias, etc. You name it, they have it. The school was just built (Elem. & Midd.) I have family & friends there. I sent you a PM (private message).

Good luck-

Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 19,748 times
Default Looking for Information on South River NJ

Hi,

We are also looking to buy a house in the Heritage Hills development in South River. We currently live in a Townhouse in Nutley and want to move to a bigger Single Family Home.

We have a 4 and half year year old who will be going to school next year.

Any information about the area, school etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2007, 02:33 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,907,752 times
We live in South River We (me, husband, and 1 year old daughter) just bought our house in November. I like the town. The taxes are a lot lower than surrounding areas, the houses are affordable, my street/neighborhood is quiet and the neighbors are very friendly. As much as I like the town, I would recommend visiting the town and the area that you find a house in first. It is not a dangerous crime ridden town by any means, but the downtown area is where more of the bars are and it just seems to invite an element that you might not want right in your backyard. My daughter is not school age yet, but my 21 year old cousin grew up in So. River and went to the elementary and middle school. She went to a vocational high school and graduated at the top of her class with a full scholarship to Johnson & Wales so So. River's education did alright by her. We were told though that there are less than 1000 students in the high school. I graduated from a similar high school in a neighboring town and really enjoyed going to a small school.

I would say it's worth a visit!

Old 06-04-2007, 03:34 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,289,619 times
Yes, when you visit, you will find South River is, in fact, right next to East Brunswick and Rt 18 traffic could be a nightmare consitently.

My ex AT&T colleague one day told me to check out the house he found in the area during lunch time. Then I said, may be I can go check out for you after work. He replied "No! the after work traffic is very very heavy there!!" I said "well, I don't mind the traffic, I would only visit once, as long as you do not mind fighting traffic twice a day..."

He ended up bought at Edison.

If you are going to pick South River, traffic wise, it is about the same as living at East Brunswick. If you can sacrafice on that, then why not pick a much better school district for your kids?

But of course, better school district normal associated with higher tax since about 65% property tax going to school budget.

As to Manville area, you want to be very careful. You may be flooded, or may not be able to obtain flood insurance. It is not like Bound Brook, but when flood came, all the roads may be block and you will go no where.

Why not consider Piscataway? I just checked Craislist.org and saw a for sale by owner house right next to Lake Nelson area with lakeview, and near Fwy 287, train, malls and the brand new huge community park which was Colonial Farm that was acquired by township to be like Central Park of Piscataway. One of 26 nice renovated community parks with huge playground, tennis court, basketball field, hockey fields, is two blocks away... you may want to take a look at when you visit the area north jersey craigslist > real estate for sale: search for "piscataway" (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link) Piscataway is between Manville and South River and near Stanten Island.

One last question. If working at SI, why not buy there? I so asked because SI has many nice places too, and communit from NJ to SI you will at least pay $6 on the Outerbridge each day, and when you do income tax, you may have to pay NY state tax in addition to NJ one.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:22 PM

38 posts, read 265,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SConthemove View Post
I also like Manville. any opinions on this town. We plan on spending 350-4k on a house. If you know of any other towns that you think fit our needs please advise.
I lived in Manville for 31 years (from the day I was born until I was 31!). It's a small town, with easy access to a lot of shopping, and within an hour or so of a lot if major cities (IE, Philly, New York, the Jersey Shore, etc.).

Beware of the flooding! It doesn't happen ALL of the time, but Hurricane Flyod was a disaster. This April's Nor'Easter also created a disaster. There are many areas of Manville that are NOT prone to flooding, and that would be the very first thing I'd ask.."Was this home flooded during Flyod? During the April 2007 NorEaster?" If the answer is yes, then it's buyer beware - you may go years without ever flooding, but you are playing with fire.

As for schools, I went to Manville and the classes are indeed small. But the overall quality probably is not the best - Manville has been notorious for hiring young teachers (nothing wrong with that!) who eventually leave when they find greener pastures elsewhere in the area. (that IS a bad thing!) This is not to say your child will receive a bad education.....but there are better educations to be found in other towns nearby, in all likelihood.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
ehs

I just posted to say that South River is across Rt 18 of East Brunswick and share all the traffice nightmare ... and Manville may have flood issues like Bound Brook.

However, I do want to mention I do know friends living there. Why at South River? Convenient, lots of store, but my friend Mrs. Sheng, whose daughter graduated already and work, so school system does not bother her, and lower property tax is a plus to her. She rented out her house to many Rutgers students from China at very low rent, say, $200 a month for a furnished room, all because she bought that house at $10,000 years ago.

Manville is better than Bound Brook in terms of flooding, if you visit Bound Brook, you will see this old town looks like a brand neew town since all flood building now brandnew. Bound Brook and Plainfield both provide lots of very affordable home to live, and many are new immigrant or blue collar who just start and can not afford better and more expensive area but Bound Brook. When I visit Bridgewater Commons Mall and talk to many workers at food court and janitors, they all live here for the same affordable reason.

I recently visit this brand new townhouse development called Canal Crossing at South Bound Brook just across the river of Bound Brook. It almost sold out and very high end community, going to have brand new Shoprite to be built and walk to Bound Brook Train Station just pass the bridge. It is great with river view and brand new riverfront park to be built along the river. It is right next to Manville, and I believe the look and feel is similar.

Last edited by ehs; 06-04-2007 at 04:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM

44 posts, read 269,192 times
We have lived in South River for about 12 years. Our sons are 6 and 9. My husband and I both grew up in very big towns and we were not used to this type of 'everybody knows everybody' feel. I must tell you it's great. I feel like everyone would look out for our kids and we would look out for theirs'. These are friends our kids will go all thru school with because it is a small town.

It is a bit of a melting pot and has always been from what I hear. It is a nice diverse mix. It is an older town (like Manville). It is mainly blue collar and from what I see people love it here and when their kids grow up and move out they want to come back here to raise their families. I think that speaks for itself.

Other good, close towns are Milltown, a little more pricey, but similar, those students go to Spotswood high school when the time comes. They are also small with an excellent school system.

The traffic is not great however you look at it, I have a neigbor that is a teacher in SI and another woman works in the city.

Hope this helps

Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 PM
ehs

If you can drive from South River to Staten Island, you can park the car at ferry parking and take ferry over to Manhattan, that's my brother-in-law's big boss at JP Morgan Chase did ...

Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 AM

2 posts, read 19,748 times
Default Thank you for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
We live in South River We (me, husband, and 1 year old daughter) just bought our house in November. I like the town. The taxes are a lot lower than surrounding areas, the houses are affordable, my street/neighborhood is quiet and the neighbors are very friendly. As much as I like the town, I would recommend visiting the town and the area that you find a house in first. It is not a dangerous crime ridden town by any means, but the downtown area is where more of the bars are and it just seems to invite an element that you might not want right in your backyard. My daughter is not school age yet, but my 21 year old cousin grew up in So. River and went to the elementary and middle school. She went to a vocational high school and graduated at the top of her class with a full scholarship to Johnson & Wales so So. River's education did alright by her. We were told though that there are less than 1000 students in the high school. I graduated from a similar high school in a neighboring town and really enjoyed going to a small school.

I would say it's worth a visit!
Thank you for your comments. We did visit the area - and it looks nice. You definitely get more house for the money - compared to say East Brunswick. My daughter is still has a year to get into the Public School system . Though a lot of the residents living there send their kids to a Private school.

We are considering the Heritage Hills development - off River Drive bordering East Brunswick.

Any comments on that part of the town? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey