Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
other web articles on this incident (posted without comment ):

A Tale of Two Killings by S.M. Oliva

Killing With Impunity: A Police Prerogative « LewRockwell.com Blog (same guy as the first)
first article is bs. it is not insignificant that the guy is a police officer. also, both the cop and the athlete got off too light. im not sure why the author believes the athletes crime is less horrible (especiall considering he was driving under the influence).

i see second is more of the same. im not sure why its accepted that he was pursuing a speeder. did he call it in before the got in the accident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
After a bit more than a page I have to chime in.

It is not as simple as people would like to put it. Not all cops are bas, but maybe 1 in 10 are. The problem is, the other 9 don't bring him to terms with this. Hell, 5 of the 10 will actually passively support him.

Why?

It is kind of complicated, but think of it this way. First, they are co-workers. You don't start bad-mouthing your co-workers when faced with another company. If you say that your company has so many bad people, it looks bad on YOU too.

Second is related to the first. Respect and, to a lesser extent, fear. When cops do not have a cohesive nature, they lose respect from the community. They support each other from the start, and trust in their co-workers. If one of them says a guy was doing this or that, they are not there to question, but to help out their partner.

So this makes for solidarity in the force and more due respect given by others (if people believed that another officer coming into something was their chance to plead their case again, things would go very slowly).

While I am not in 100% agreement with this method of doing things, of garnering respect and compliance, I have to admit it works.

I guess the biggest problem I have is just that. I know they need it to make their jobs easier and more effective, but at the same time I can't STAND it when they treat it like a fraternity.

If a cop commits a crime against another, the one cop that comes out and says something should NOT be looked at as a turncoat. Camaraderie is one thing, but willing and knowing ignorance of a criminal act is bad enough. Attacking the few willing to DO THEIR JOB and bring criminals, no matter who they may be, to light is another.

The question would be this. How could you bring these guys to light WITHOUT people doing exactly what they are doing here? How can you expose the 10% of rot in the force without people casting their decay across the 90% that do not deserve it?

YES there are catholic priests that like little boys, but that sure as hell does not mean all of them are not worth trusting with your children. Not all of them have seasonal passes to Never-Never land....

Good post. Now can we stop arguing and start back up with good pig bad pig? Ninj I think you are being a bit positive in your guess. 1 in 10 are bad? I doubt it. Lets just say you are right. Why are there any bad ones. There are leaders and there are followers in society. Most people are followers and need to call mommy when something goes wrong and the first thing comes to mind is call a cop when something goes wrong. I find that very very very weak coming from any American citizen who has a history of fighting for what we believe. I also feel this gives pigs a fat head.

There is nothing that could ever make me call on that street gang of thugs with badges. Just by calling them makes the caller a suspect. I dont have time for that and few do.

I am sick and tired of them breaking every silly little law that they jamb down our throats with complete immunity. And the fact that I am powerless to do anything about it pizzes me off to the core.

The first day at the acadamy they are taught cultural sensitivity. They are not suppose to treat us like sh**. We pay their salary which in our society means they should bow to us. Since your boss pays your salary you have to bow to them or get canned. So why dont this theory work with pigs?

I will bow to no man. It's better to die on your feet then to live on your knees. Know thy enemy or lose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey