Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
It is unique for every town... why dont you give some input on your own here...

But for Ramsey, 15-18 officers would be more then enough.
why? I'm not the one declaring all suburban police forces and state police be cut 50%. i assumed you put some thought into it which made you arrive at this number and I was curious to your thought patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 11:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
thank you kate!
Like I said in another thread....thank god for cops & teachers, if not for them we wouldn't have anything to moan about...lol

Old 06-22-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
cops are worthless. people are brainwashed to believe cops protect them. cops dont come until after the trouble is over and they just write a report. usually they are so pissed that they had to cut their 2 hour coffee break short that they write a crappy report anyway.
Well the next time we have an ice storm out there as you sit in your warm cozy house remember there are cops out there responding to accidents, helping victims
Next time you sit down for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with your family remember there are cops out there who can't be with theirs.

I give kudos to cops, nurses, hospital employees, firemen who give up holidays with their families to do what's needed.

I also find most, not all, but a fairly good majority of people who have an attitude that all cops are horrible....well lets just say they tend to be people who have a problem obeying the law, no matter how minor and then rant on because they were caught

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 PM

I live like Steve Morse in Jefferson Township
We have 39 on the force to cover 24 hours a day 365 days per year.
As of 2009 we have a population of 21,737 people
The township also encompasses 40.6 square miles and 2.4 square miles of water

I don't think we have to many in fact we could use a few more

Old 06-22-2009, 12:49 PM

256 posts, read 841,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
3 shifts per day 365 days per year...cops on vacation, out sick,
did you happen to take any of that into account?

18x40= 720 man hours per week

24x7= 168 hours per week

So you have 4-5 officers working at a time under that plan. You would obviously have more working at peak times, and less at like 3 AM.

Last edited by Dingo99; 06-22-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 12:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Well the next time we have an ice storm out there as you sit in your warm cozy house remember there are cops out there responding to accidents, helping victims
Next time you sit down for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner with your family remember there are cops out there who can't be with theirs.

I give kudos to cops, nurses, hospital employees, firemen who give up holidays with their families to do what's needed.

I also find most, not all, but a fairly good majority of people who have an attitude that all cops are horrible....well lets just say they tend to be people who have a problem obeying the law, no matter how minor and then rant on because they were caught
what is with all this garbage about working when its snowing or during holidays? thats what people do in order to earn money. we all have to work to earn money, i dont feel sorry for someone because they dont have the best hours in the world. i dont excuse abuse of power and being overall worthless because cops may have to sit in their cars doing nothing during the snow and god forbid they actually have to help someone sometimes.

your next paragraph is just propaganda. thats what they want you to think so you dont question their authority. "those who have a problem must have it because they are up to no good." i am a perfect citizen. i am the last person anyone has to worry about. i know that cops are worthless.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
I live like Steve Morse in Jefferson Township
We have 39 on the force to cover 24 hours a day 365 days per year.
As of 2009 we have a population of 21,737 people
The township also encompasses 40.6 square miles and 2.4 square miles of water

I don't think we have to many in fact we could use a few more
I think the angst should be directed at other areas of municipal government. For instance, does every single town in Northern NJ need a municipal library? Why not regionalize the library system, as it is in South Jersey? Beyond that, non-law enforcement municipal employees can be reduced by making reductions in force. I am thinking specifically by department. Recreation, health department, enginnering, public works, etc. Each department has many employees that can be reduced through attrition. The problem is there is a public sector workers union entrenched in many of these towns to see fit that hiring freezes aren't allowed to happen, or, at the very least, if there is a retired worker, that worker is replaced by another one, instead of having the position dissolved. The union's strength relies upon rank and file.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
18x40= 680 man hours per week

24x7= 168 hours per week

So you have 4-5 officers working at a time under that plan. You would obviously have more working at peak times, and less at like 3 AM.
It works where I live and we have 39
We also are 40 square miles divided by Rte 15
so usually 2 on one side 2 on the other and supervisors

Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think the angst should be directed at other areas of municipal government. For instance, does every single town in Northern NJ need a municipal library? Why not regionalize the library system, as it is in South Jersey? Beyond that, non-law enforcement municipal employees can be reduced by making reductions in force. I am thinking specifically by department. Recreation, health department, enginnering, public works, etc. Each department has many employees that can be reduced through attrition. The problem is there is a public sector workers union entrenched in many of these towns to see fit that hiring freezes aren't allowed to happen, or, at the very least, if there is a retired worker, that worker is replaced by another one, instead of having the position dissolved. The union's strength relies upon rank and file.
can you expand upon this? do you mean "physical" libraries or you mean not having 100 copies of the same material in each physical location? Most Morris County "physical" libraries are members of MAIN - which is a network of county libraries where you can access materials from other branches, and they'll deliver it to your local branch.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:55 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i dont really see the value in having any libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey