Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
I'm thinking its more like 3-5. I'll try to find a source. Again, it is not representative of the whole state so it might be different than you are accustomed to.
Please do find that site where a police officer in NJ is above $100K a year after 3-5 years..I expect requests for lateral moves to that dept when you post it ...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:07 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
click on the name...i don't see anyone with 3 years making 100K
check out tenafly. There are a bunch of 8.xx that are making in the low 100's. It looks like most of the 3-5 year guys are making between 60 and 80. So, its not quite the 3-5 that I had in mind, but it is half of the 15-20 you had in mind.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Please do find that site where a police officer in NJ is above $100K a year after 3-5 years..I expect requests for lateral moves to that dept when you post it ...lol
That's the thing, though. A job on these forces is extremely difficult to come by. It's a GREAT job, if you can get it.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
That's the thing, though. A job on these forces is extremely difficult to come by. It's a GREAT job, if you can get it.
its a sweet deal for them. sit around doing nothing and the longer you stick around doing nothing, the more money you make.

its nice to have such job security with great benefits and very good salary. its not really fair for the public sector to enjoy that while the private sector doesnt since its the private sector thats supporting the public sector.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Well I for one would like to thank all the police in NJ
I don't give a rats azz what they make, I'm grateful

By the way....good round up of more gang members of which 33 were illegals
Local law enforcement backs up ICE when they make a sweep....
ICE arrests 46 in street gang sweep that includes Morris | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record

Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a sweet deal for them. sit around doing nothing and the longer you stick around doing nothing, the more money you make.

its nice to have such job security with great benefits and very good salary. its not really fair for the public sector to enjoy that while the private sector doesnt since its the private sector thats supporting the public sector.

See, I would never say something like this about the police force. They serve an important role in a place like Tenafly (it's virtually identical to about two dozen northern bergen county towns which could be used interchangebly for any example I might use)- they have such a presence that burglars know its a difficult place to rob, people know there are police everywhere so they don't speed and the old ladies are happy, etc. The issue I have is they are paid quite a bit when there are probably loads of people equally qualified that would do the job for quite a bit less. Also, I take issue with the fact that its extremely difficult to get a job unless you "know someone", similar to teaching positions.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Well I for one would like to thank all the police in NJ
I don't give a rats azz what they make, I'm grateful

By the way....good round up of more gang members of which 33 were illegals
Local law enforcement backs up ICE when they make a sweep....
ICE arrests 46 in street gang sweep that includes Morris | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record
Most of the officers that swept up those gang members get paid less than the ones we are talking about here. I just found a cop in Newark who makes $90k after 11 years on the force...this is as apparently as common as the suburban cops who make $100k after slightly fewer years.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
See, I would never say something like this about the police force. They serve an important role in a place like Tenafly (it's virtually identical to about two dozen northern bergen county towns which could be used interchangebly for any example I might use)- they have such a presence that burglars know its a difficult place to rob, people know there are police everywhere so they don't speed and the old ladies are happy, etc. The issue I have is they are paid quite a bit when there are probably loads of people equally qualified that would do the job for quite a bit less. Also, I take issue with the fact that its extremely difficult to get a job unless you "know someone", similar to teaching positions.
you seem to be pretty much saying what im saying, only differently. in the private sector, the pay would be less for the same job and you will get equally qualified people. im just saying its not fair for the public sector to offer compensation beyond what the private sector can afford.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
check out tenafly. There are a bunch of 8.xx that are making in the low 100's. It looks like most of the 3-5 year guys are making between 60 and 80. So, its not quite the 3-5 that I had in mind, but it is half of the 15-20 you had in mind.
bunch? 2 out of 24. average service for a tenafly cop/fire making 100K+ is slightly over 18 years.

eta - this includes firemen so honestly i don't know who is a cop and who is not.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
You have to take a civil service test with the highest scoring applicant being offered the job if all of the background check passes....in the case of a few having the sam score yeah more then likely it's who you know..I'd also like to point out that many towns ( not all) require a degree to be hired..I believe in Toms River you need a 4 year degree..some it's a 2 year degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey