Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:07 PM

44 posts, read 270,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonviv View Post
I have a son 15 with asperger's. He is a freshman in High School and was just classified this year to receive some in class support in some classes; I am trying to find some social skills classess/training for him to help him blend a bit better and to help deal with some bullying issues. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone have information about this kind ot training?
I just came across this, again, I'm not sure what county you're in but this group is in central and Northern NJ. sounds good, good luck

Social Skills Training Project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,905 times
Default Private schools for autistic children in central jersey

My daughter is 11 year-old and has autism. One month ago she was put out school by the district. The district wants to place her in a private school, we went to visit the only two schools that are accepting children. I can't agree with those schools because they can serve her academic needs. In a meantime I have her at home 24-7. Does anyone here might know of any private schools that actually works on the academic areas and not only on life skills?
Thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 02:20 PM

11 posts, read 53,501 times
I live in the state of washington look for a good place to raise a family and a school that is great for a child with autism non verbal, that needs a good amount of therapy. would like washington or oregan if services are good can anyone help a father who will do any thing for his son, please help me.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:11 PM

17 posts, read 81,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonviv View Post
I have a son 15 with asperger's. He is a freshman in High School and was just classified this year to receive some in class support in some classes; I am trying to find some social skills classess/training for him to help him blend a bit better and to help deal with some bullying issues. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone have information about this kind ot training?
I am actually a Special Ed. teacher in Union City. I teach predominantly Emotionally Disturbed teenagers( I have many Latin Kings and various other gang members in my classes), however I've had a few students classified with Pervasive Developmental Disorders (Asperger's, Autism, etc). The support that each child needs will vary from case to case. In my experience, the more vocal and informed a parent is, the more services that child is likely to receive. Remember, if the school district cannot probably educate your child, the school district has to PAY for them to go to an out-of-district placement that can meet your child's needs.

Most empirical evidence supports providing children with PDD Spectrum Disorders with curricula that allows for greater access to the general education curriculum (However, parents need to be realistic here. Moving your child into a placement where they don't belong, whether too high or too low, can do damage to a child behaviorally and educationally.) Curricula as well as IEPs should focus on functional communication and life-skills. (Basically teaching them how to functional appropriately in the community.) Also, classroom teachers should have a strong behavioral intervention plan set up for these students. These Behavior Modification Programs should focus on positive reinforcements rather than negative ones. (Example, I use a classroom monetary system where if a students performs a desired behavior, they receive a "dollar". I try to constantly reinforce that particular "positive" behavior. I take away these "dollars" when they do something wrong, however as soon as they perform that desired behavior again, they are immediately reinforced.)

I am assuming that many of the problems that the various individuals posting here are seeing in their children have to do with "faulty" verbal behaviors or Contextually inappropriate verbalizations that impeded their conversations with others, correct? Your children should be trained to use some type text based prompts that train each student to attain listener attention and participation, and to be able to gather information about new people so that they can discuss topics that are of mutual interest to both parties involved in the conversation. (Basically, you are teaching your child to be able to have a meaningful conversation with another person. Try rehearsing different types of conversations that they may have on a daily basis. For example, you might be working on teaching them if someone asks, "How are you", They should respond with how they are feeling and ask the other person how they are feeling in return. The next step might be working on having them actually listen and process how that person responds to their question.) As for the bullying situation, again try the same type of thing. Practice going over ways that your child can handle this situation. This needs to be reinforced constantly. You can't practice what to do in a particular situation just once or twice. This might have to be a daily thing. It is like teaching a young child how to tie a shoe, you have to keep going over it until they can do it on their own.

Sorry for this long, hastily written response...Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to message me.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM

17 posts, read 81,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hafbaked70 View Post
Thanks Valerie123,

I've been reading different threads in this forum about autism programs in other counties (Union, Essex,etc) and just want to see if I settled in a right area. Good thing is that i'm only renting a home so if this school district doesnt provide the proper services I can move to one that can.
Monmouth County, and the Freehold Regional School District in particular, have excellent educational programs. You should be fine there.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,806 times
My family is seriously considering moving to Manalapan from Long Island. My 16 month old son has a rare genetic disorder and in NY receives alot of in-home therapy services. In NY, these services are completely paid for by the county through their Early Intervention Program. He currently receives speech, vision, PT, OT and special instruction. My questions are:
1 - Does Monmouth County pay for these services as well?
2 - Is it difficult to qualify for the services?
3 - Does Manalapan have really good special education services in their pre-schools and beyond?
4- Are the costs covered once he reaches pre-school setting?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 13,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalred View Post
our daughter has high functioning autism too and she is in inclusion class. she has made great strides since being classified! say what you want about new jersey, but it has the best services for autistic kids. we live in south jersey and the school gives her so many services and they even provided a social skills class for her over the summer in addition to other services she requires.
Hi we are moving to manalapan and have a high functiong autistic 4 year old and we are trying to find a school for him any sugestions thanks

Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 13,331 times
Default looking for a school

my son is 4 years old and has high functioning autism we are moving to manalapn and need to find a school for him which has an inclusion program
thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,198 times
I have a 4 year old with autism. I live in the Edmonds school district and would recommend it for anyone moving to the area. I have had some others advise me that they have had problems with the shoreline district mainly higher class sizes etc that can make it harder to get more one on one help. Good Look with the move

Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,934 times
Default help finding a school in NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalred View Post
our daughter has high functioning autism too and she is in inclusion class. she has made great strides since being classified! say what you want about new jersey, but it has the best services for autistic kids. we live in south jersey and the school gives her so many services and they even provided a social skills class for her over the summer in addition to other services she requires.

Hello, I see your post is a few years old so I hope you receive this... we currently live in TX and are looking to move a rather unexpected move to NJ (I grew up in Monmouth county) my son is about to enter kindergarten (he is on the autism spectrum) and I am frantically looking for some advice on schools as that will determine exactly where we move. I saw that you mentioned you live in south jersey and was wondering if you would give me more specifics on the school district and area that you live... and any other advice you may have. Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey