U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 PM

390 posts, read 1,421,901 times

Advertisements

My son just finished 8th grade, and even though he went to a very good school, his Math teacher was not the best. My son was not the only one having trouble understanding the concepts, several of his friends had similar challenges. We've never had this problem before, as my kid did really well in math over the years.

We will be moving to Warren, NJ over the summer, and I was considering signing him up for Kumon. Either my husband or I can teach him the concepts, but we have so much going on at work, I can see how we may be too burned out at the end of the day to do anything in that area... Any thoughts/advice? I want my son to be in good shape for starting high school in the fall. If this matters, we are moving from PA.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,554,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
My son just finished 8th grade, and even though he went to a very good school, his Math teacher was not the best. My son was not the only one having trouble understanding the concepts, several of his friends had similar challenges. We've never had this problem before, as my kid did really well in math over the years.

We will be moving to Warren, NJ over the summer, and I was considering signing him up for Kumon. Either my husband or I can teach him the concepts, but we have so much going on at work, I can see how we may be too burned out at the end of the day to do anything in that area... Any thoughts/advice? I want my son to be in good shape for starting high school in the fall. If this matters, we are moving from PA.

Thanks!
Kumon is a really big undertaking. I would try Sylvan or Huntingdon first.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Kumon is a really big undertaking. I would try Sylvan or Huntingdon first.
What do you mean by that? I guess I am confused... The concepts are not completely foreign to him, but he is not top notch.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,554,852 times
Kumon is not really a place to "brush up" on skills; it's this whole program that takes years. It's not a tutoring program. They give you packs of worksheets, and the kids do them on their own mostly. It's this whole philosophy and you have to work up through all these levels over the course of years. I'm not putting down Kumon, but I don't think it's the right fit for what you are looking for here.

Sylvan and Huntington are tutoring centers in the traditional way that we think of tutoring. They will have teachers who will test him, see what help he needs, and set up a targeted program to get him back to where he should be or better.

Hope this helps. Good for you getting some supplements for your son. One year of a crummy math teacher can do damage for years. Good luck with your move.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 PM

49 posts, read 185,490 times
I think if you have time, it's better to just go to the library and use the materials there so you can help him. That's just my opinion.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Kumon is not really a place to "brush up" on skills; it's this whole program that takes years. It's not a tutoring program. They give you packs of worksheets, and the kids do them on their own mostly. It's this whole philosophy and you have to work up through all these levels over the course of years. I'm not putting down Kumon, but I don't think it's the right fit for what you are looking for here.

Sylvan and Huntington are tutoring centers in the traditional way that we think of tutoring. They will have teachers who will test him, see what help he needs, and set up a targeted program to get him back to where he should be or better.

Hope this helps. Good for you getting some supplements for your son. One year of a crummy math teacher can do damage for years. Good luck with your move.
Good points, I see what you mean now... Thank you!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bet07 View Post
I think if you have time, it's better to just go to the library and use the materials there so you can help him. That's just my opinion.
I completely agree with you, but that's the problem - time. Moving, starting a new job, unpacking boxes, etc. etc. I want him to be the focus, not one of the many things I am doing every day... Thanks though.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:13 PM

44 posts, read 166,611 times
Whats 8th grade math? Basic Algebra?

Old 06-24-2009, 04:34 PM

98 posts, read 236,398 times
Ahhhhh the "not me" syndrome strikes again. It's my son's fault that he didn't understand because of his math teacher...Are you finding out about this now? You had all year to gauge your son's progress and his problems in math is readily attributable to his math teacher who "is not the best." Did your son seek extra help when he needed it? Or was he too busy with his XBOX 360 and texting his friends?

I don't mean to wage an attack, but you had ALL YEAR to address the issue of his sub-par math teacher. When will one parent out there say "My son/daughter is having difficulty in math because they are having trouble understanding math. I need help for them."

Always someone else's fault. Enough with the blame game.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,402,744 times
I sent you a DM, AAVC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey