Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times

Advertisements

The number of drivers talking on cell phones and texting while driving hasn't changed after the law banned it. This law is another waste of time for our law enforcement. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, but people will ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:41 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default two elected positions at once....

You'd figure that the state would ban dual office holders in the same light they find it harmful to participate in other activities while driving.

Oh yes, they did, sort of.

Another feel good 'law' that cannot be enforced because of the large number of drivers vs the small number of police looking to enforce the law.

No, you shouldn't be driving and phoning or texting or whatever because it does present a real danger. Distracted driving rules should be enough to cover these infractions.

Passing laws like this 'teach' the public that many of these laws can be disregarded. The state therefore teaches the public to disregard the law in general. Lawyers go a step further and turn laws into creative works of art for those who can afford it.

Random enforcement enables subjective bias and prejudice in the application of law. With so many of these goofy laws on the books, police/ prosecutors can play out their prejudices under the blanket of public safety.

Laws already exist with regard to distracted driving without passing more 'feel good' laws. Make cell phone, gps, etc exceptions on insurance policy payment. Do what you do, but don't expect to get comped if you screw up. Every driving cell phone user, drunk, etc. you see is telling you they have no concern for your safety and could care less if you die in the gravel on the side of the road. More importantly they scream, " I'm stupid and wreckless and don't care what happens to me so why should I care about you?"

Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
This is the sentiment I was trying to convey, in my overly blunt way.

Besides, in a free society people should be free to do whatever they want, provided they dont infringe on anyone else's rights. If they started cracking down on people that infringe on the rights of others, there would be no need to ban GPS's or phones, or anything else. If an accident is deemed to be your fault, you lose your license for 6 months. If someone is hurt, add assault charges. If someone is killed, manslaughter. There really are very few "accidents". Probably 9 times out of 10, someone is not paying attention to what they are doing. People will continue not paying attention as long as we treat car crashes like they are unavoidable "accidents". If we are a lot more strict on the perpetrators of crashes, people will regulate their own cell phone use, gps use, make-up, eating, and speeding in pedestrian areas. If you knew that a fender bender would cost you your license for 6 months, wouldn't you be a little more careful? I know I would.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
You'd figure that the state would ban dual office holders in the same light they find it harmful to participate in other activities while driving.

Oh yes, they did, sort of.

Another feel good 'law' that cannot be enforced because of the large number of drivers vs the small number of police looking to enforce the law.

No, you shouldn't be driving and phoning or texting or whatever because it does present a real danger. Distracted driving rules should be enough to cover these infractions.

Passing laws like this 'teach' the public that many of these laws can be disregarded. The state therefore teaches the public to disregard the law in general. Lawyers go a step further and turn laws into creative works of art for those who can afford it.

Random enforcement enables subjective bias and prejudice in the application of law. With so many of these goofy laws on the books, police/ prosecutors can play out their prejudices under the blanket of public safety.

Laws already exist with regard to distracted driving without passing more 'feel good' laws. Make cell phone, gps, etc exceptions on insurance policy payment. Do what you do, but don't expect to get comped if you screw up. Every driving cell phone user, drunk, etc. you see is telling you they have no concern for your safety and could care less if you die in the gravel on the side of the road. More importantly they scream, " I'm stupid and wreckless and don't care what happens to me so why should I care about you?"
Haha. This will never happen in NJ. I wish it would. The Mayor of North Bergen some years ago was reportedly to be a elementary school principal and state senator at the same time. I've heard of holding down multiple jobs, but this is absurd. Three jobs at once, and I'm sure they all had his undivided attention. It's stuff like this gives NJ the reputation it deserves when it comes to the corruption that is not to be believed.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:36 AM

119 posts, read 233,082 times
Sure, there have been times when my GPS will go crazy and I have to re-program it while still driving. However, I spend FAR more time fiddling with the radio and AC/heat controls while driving. Are they going to ban those any time soon? I can't speak for others but I'm a much better driver with my GPS than without. Does any one remember the days our only choice was to either drive around with maps or internet mapquest instructions on our laps trying to figure out how to get to our destination? And God forbid the wind blows and the instructions fly into the back seat or out the window! Now how safe is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey