U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 AM

684 posts, read 578,652 times

Advertisements

New Jersey to Consider Banning Drivers from Operating GPS

i swear who comes up with this stuff our state is slowing turning into a Communist state
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM

835 posts, read 1,089,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post

i swear who comes up with this stuff our state is slowing turning into a Communist state

I think we should ban female drivers too.... no seriously.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 AM

231 posts, read 558,961 times
In theory, the law makes sense. As long as there are laws requiring everyone to have insurance, we are all, in effect, paying for each others' mistakes. So safety laws related to seatbelts, car seats, cell phone use, etc. are valuable to the general populace if they are effective in curbing accidents or making those accidents less costly.

This is a big if though. I wonder how enforcement is going to work. The amount of time you spend fiddling with your GPS is only a few seconds, whereas I routinely see people talking on their cell phones with no hands free device. So catching people in the act may prove difficult. So will the net effect of passing this law be positive when you factor in the cost of actually passing it and the cost of implementation and enforcement? I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

8,756 posts, read 19,209,403 times
Why not just require people to stay at home with the doors locked and the blinds shut? Maybe pass a law against driving? If the intent is safety, why not go all the way?

But the intent isn't really safety, is it?

Hey, I've got a more practical solution, one that will increase safety, lower costs, and will simultaneously remove unsafe drivers from the road: instead of setting up DWI checkpoints, set up car insurance checkpoints. Put them in places like Frelinghuysen Ave in Newark, or Market St in Paterson. Have every 5th or 8th car pulled over for a random insurance check.

Wouldn't that be cute? Not to mention more practical?

Guess what? There's no revenue to be generated in that case. Those who would be apprehended wouldn't have enough money in their accounts to pay up the fine. And the state is so overburdened on the criminal side, the perpetrators couldn't be incarcerated for any length of time. So, instead, we target those who have the fancy devices, middle class and upper middle class people.

Last edited by mike0421; 06-25-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 AM

607 posts, read 901,360 times
Mr. Smith Goes to Trenton - Zohar Laor

Hey driver! Leave that GPs device alone! - NJ.com

"Step Away from the GPS" | NBC Philadelphia

NJ Bill Would Ban Operation of GPS Devices in Cars - Auto - FOXNews.com

Proposed by a guy who is also a dual-office holder, double-dipping for his salary.

One would think that between the two jobs, he could find more productive things to do with his time...

Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 AM

835 posts, read 1,089,339 times
SMITH HARVEY WILLINGBORO TWP BD OF ED $91,175 $91,175 Teachers Pension and Annuity Fund

Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 AM

31,773 posts, read 37,628,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post

hey, my old favorite site freerepublic. government is evil and it is in its best interest to grow and try to control more of our lives. people have fought and died for our rights here on american soil, and they will again.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:33 AM

13,222 posts, read 27,181,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
hey, my old favorite site freerepublic. government is evil and it is in its best interest to grow and try to control more of our lives. people have fought and died for our rights here on american soil, and they will again.
When was that???? The only one I can come up with is the Civil War..and as far as "rights" in that war I guess that depends on which side you were on.

No one has fought & died for our rights on American soil and thank God for that.

That said we need to vote these freakin idiots out of office yet another bill to get us all fired up and distracted from the real issues at hand which none of these bone heads seem to be dealing with

Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 AM

2,510 posts, read 3,697,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Yes....many have served, fought and died.....what branch of the military have you served in ?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,853,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
When was that???? The only one I can come up with is the Civil War..and as far as "rights" in that war I guess that depends on which side you were on.

No one has fought & died for our rights on American soil and thank God for that.

That said we need to vote these freakin idiots out of office yet another bill to get us all fired up and distracted from the real issues at hand which none of these bone heads seem to be dealing with
Did you forget about a little thing called "The Revolutionary War"? I believe it had a little bit to do with our rights, didn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey