Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 AM

28 posts, read 78,029 times

Advertisements

Here is just my general opinion... South Jersey is a little more friendly than north jersey. I have lived in NJ mostly all my life, but am not so stuck here, that I haven't traveled other places in the states. I went to NYC a couple of times.. and haven't been so offended by the lack of courtesy in my life. Especially in the hospitals! People that love Jersey do have a "Jersey attitude" but can still be very nice, but can also be very harsh when disrespected. NJ Housewives is a sham. I don't even know where they get those people from. NJ is very cliquey, though... I must agree. But you get in where you fit in. The south is very nice... but is about 10 steps behind on everything. My family coming from Waycross, GA (home of the Oakeefanokee swamp) they're very southern.. very warm, and inviting... but everywhere is different, and everywhere has different people. Jersey does however... have the best beaches LOL. We have 24 hour diners, don't pump our own gas... yet we still have the lowest gas prices.., have a very eclectic bunch of people, and we know how to navigate a circle correctly. It's not that we don't know how to drive... other people just don't know how to drive HERE. Hey... I'm not so great at driving in NYC. And nobody says "Joisey" - that's a myth. Jersey had a rep. way before HWONJ and the Sopranos. But, my grandfather owns a nursery business... and believe me.. the 'Mob' is still alive and poppin... he got them all the time as customers. I love NJ... and if you don't like it... move already... there's nothing stopping you. Everywhere has it's problems... it is what you make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 13,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
What kind a friggen question is that!?

LOL

I grew up in NYC/Long Island and have lived in NJ (Monmouth County) for 9 years now.

My experience is that there are not so many more purely rude people here but that rude and ignorant is a lethal combination.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:27 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
New Jerseyans will tell it like it is - not like the Southerners who can be very polite but fake.
One thing about the show - New Jersey women really do look and dress like those ladies -
I don't.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:47 PM

223 posts, read 829,049 times
North and Central Jersey takes after New York City very fast paced and aggresive and have a rougher attitude, less polite, more road rage, more rude, etc...

South Jersey takes after Philadelphia which is more of a laid back take it easy kind of a city. "City of Brotherly Love" people in South Jersey are more southern like. South Jersey people are nicer and more polite they are not in a rush all the time due to their enviromet.

I lived in south Jersey for 16 years and now live in North/Central Jersey for the last 12 years.
Not everybody acts like this in these parts of Jersey but in genearl that how the parts of Jersey is!

Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,550 times
To the OP:

North Jersey and South Jersey are like two completely different worlds. The ladies from Housewives of New Jersey are all from North Jersey. All of New Jersey has that sorta "tell it like it is" attitude and our manners may not be as good as people from other states, but the whole just a flat out a**hole attitude is mostly North Jersey. Just how people say everyone down south is a lot nicer, it's the same thing in Jersey. Southern Jersey folks are a lot more laid-back, tolerable and courteous than North Jersey people. Even our accents are different. A lot of people from North Jersey think us South Jersey people sound country.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:10 PM

18 posts, read 66,704 times
Default new jersey attitude

people in NJ, especially those that are living in bergen county, tend of come off very hostile, angry, territorial, even if the territory they are being territorial is not theirs, especially the open road (they are nut so behind the wheels), and they do not know when to back off , even though they are at fault. these people need education in having a common courtesy

Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikaNJ View Post
don't pump our own gas... yet we still have the lowest gas prices..,

We have the lowest gas prices BECAUSE we don't pump our own gas. With full-serve only, the insurance prices are lower for the gas stations, so they don't have to charge as much to cover operating expenses. Plus, the refineries and fuel depots are right here in Linden and Port Newark, so the fuel doesn't have as far to travel to get to its destination, thereby lowering the cost of fuel for the station-owners.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,744,174 times
How many Moderator cut: Language time do I have to tell you there is no Jersey attitude!!!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-21-2010 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,719 times
Ah, yes, the Jersey Attitude. Well, I suppose it comes from Jersey being the linchpin that holds this country together, for starters. Oh sure, sure, New York has Wall Street, Madison Avenue, Broadway, and the Fashion District. BIG Moderator cut: Language DEAL! We have the biggest, busiest ports on the east coast; our airport is as busy as both of the NY airports; we have more global business' World Headquarters here in Jersey. The average Jerseyan is an honest, hardworking Moderator cut: Language who likes to play just as hard. We constantly get put down and ridiculed for the acts of a few, and we're Moderator cut: Languagesick of it! We are very proud of both our individual heritages, and our heritage as New Jerseyans. We know we can take the most crap that the world has to offer us, and come through the other side half-dead yet still having the balls to say "What, is that all ya got?" Yeah we get a bad rap, but that's mostly from New Yorkers who are just scared cuz they know that if it wasn't for Manhattan being its own island, we'd own them, too! And we're just a bit sick and tired of hearing how much we suck, how bad we are, and how everyone looks down on us. But in the end, we take pride knowing that we don't have to resort to that kind of crap, and that without us, the country wouldn't be HALF of what it is today! That's WHY we have our attitude. If you're asking WHAT our attitude is, well, it's pretty easy to sum up: "I'm from Jersey, Moderator cut: Language"

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-21-2010 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroasia View Post
people in NJ, especially those that are living in bergen county, tend of come off very hostile, angry, territorial, even if the territory they are being territorial is not theirs, especially the open road (they are nut so behind the wheels), and they do not know when to back off , even though they are at fault. these people need education in having a common courtesy
Maybe their reaction comes from people characterizing them with generalizations such as "very hostile, angry, territorial, even if the territory they are being territorial is not theirs, especially the open road (they are nut so behind the wheels), and they do not know when to back off , even though they are at fault. these people need education in having a common courtesy"???

Just a thought...

(uh-oh - I might get accused of having "Jersey attitude" for saying something...)

Having traveled the nation, my experience has been that for the most part there are about the same amount of "nice people" and "jerks" everywhere. Demeanors can be different and these are mistaken for various "attitudes" (or lack thereof) that are applied to people from various areas as stereotypes.

I have also noticed that when I come across a jerk from any given place, it is not uncommon for that jerk, upon learning that I'm from Jersey, to make some kind of crack about Jersey. It's as if they believe it is open season on NJ and things they wouldn't say to most people from other places they have no problem saying to me about NJ. Typically, I let it slide...usually they say, "Oh JOISEY!" and I just kind of go "heh, yeah" and let it go. On occasion there are people who keep pushing it and pushing it, and at some point I'll say something, usually like "You know, that's really not funny and it's getting to be pretty insulting." At that point, I'm generally accused of having "that Joisey attitude!!" Go figure.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the "Jersey attitude" is basically whenever a New Jerseyan wants to stop taking flack over being from NJ and says something - that's the "Jersey attitude", because how dare any of us violate the unwritten law that says it's always OK to ridicule New Jersey and harangue any New Jerseyan with such ridicule.

Sadly, most of the worst perpetrators of that sort of anti-NJ antagonism are bitter ex-NJ'ans themselves... again, go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey