U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 19,288 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am probably one of many people who have asked the question, but are these towns good places to move to & raise children? Bloomfield has some places we like, but I'm confused about the crime rate? So high when next to 'tony' places like Glen Ridge? Can you walk around at night & walk in the park feeling safe? And the schools - such a wide difference? We currently live in midtown-(and love it), but w/baby makes 3 our 1 bedroom might get a bit tight. The crazy thing is our apt is still cheaper then a house in the 430K range(our max). We like the train line out of Montclair b/c my HB works in Weehauken & can take the light rail from Hoboken & I can still make my commute over the GWB both in 30-40m. These are purely speculative ideas-can anyone offer me any feedback on these towns & if those commutes are realistic?? Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 07:46 PM

46 posts, read 398,836 times
I live in Glen Ridge and I used to live in Montclair so I will try to help you as much as I can... We do not commute into the city so I can only give you the most basic information about that. My husband says that without major traffic you can GET to the GWB in about 20min.... I will say that Glen Ridge where I live is a very tiny town and you can walk to the train station from most places in town( it's about 20-25 minutes direct into Penn station)but there is also a jitney service that the town operates at peak hours and people love it. I do all of my shopping and dining in Montclair.... mostly because we only have a dry cleaners, pharmacy, sandwich shop, bank (x2) and post office. We are within walking distance of all of Montclairs commercial areas depending on where in town you live you could walk to at least one of them. I really love Glen Ridge. Montclair is really nice too... don't get me wrong... but I LOVE Glen Ridge. It's very beautiful and there are gas lanterns lining the streets. The school system is great, lots of parents doing volunteer work, lots of contact with the teachers, when the weathers good we hang out on the playground after drop off and pick up and you feel very connected to the town because you always run into your neighbors somewhere.... there are nice parks, a pretty rose garden, you can walk the kids to school ( and you'll have to because there is no bus service!) Montclair is nice but there is more crime and I always felt more anonymous there... but that will have something to do with the street that you choose also. On the south end of Glen Ridge you should be able to find something in your price range. Check out the gsmls.com. If you need an agent I love mine.... you can PM me for that info. They have also just built some lofts in an old watch factory in town.... but I am not familiar with the prices. You could probably find a single family for less. Best of luck... and personally I would not keep Bloomfield in the running if I had children because at some point you are going to want them to go to school and it seems like they are having some problems there.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:58 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,285,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymoves View Post
I live in Glen Ridge and I used to live in Montclair so I will try to help you as much as I can... We do not commute into the city so I can only give you the most basic information about that. My husband says that without major traffic you can GET to the GWB in about 20min.... I will say that Glen Ridge where I live is a very tiny town and you can walk to the train station from most places in town( it's about 20-25 minutes direct into Penn station)but there is also a jitney service that the town operates at peak hours and people love it. I do all of my shopping and dining in Montclair.... mostly because we only have a dry cleaners, pharmacy, sandwich shop, bank (x2) and post office. We are within walking distance of all of Montclairs commercial areas depending on where in town you live you could walk to at least one of them. I really love Glen Ridge. Montclair is really nice too... don't get me wrong... but I LOVE Glen Ridge. It's very beautiful and there are gas lanterns lining the streets. The school system is great, lots of parents doing volunteer work, lots of contact with the teachers, when the weathers good we hang out on the playground after drop off and pick up and you feel very connected to the town because you always run into your neighbors somewhere.... there are nice parks, a pretty rose garden, you can walk the kids to school ( and you'll have to because there is no bus service!) Montclair is nice but there is more crime and I always felt more anonymous there... but that will have something to do with the street that you choose also. On the south end of Glen Ridge you should be able to find something in your price range. Check out the gsmls.com. If you need an agent I love mine.... you can PM me for that info. They have also just built some lofts in an old watch factory in town.... but I am not familiar with the prices. You could probably find a single family for less. Best of luck... and personally I would not keep Bloomfield in the running if I had children because at some point you are going to want them to go to school and it seems like they are having some problems there.
*sigh* - I really miss that area. It's such a great place.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 PM

56 posts, read 283,010 times
Default Montclair, Glen Ridge and Bloomfield

Hi,
I live and work in Montclair. I moved from Park Slope, Brooklyn and was still commuting when I moved close to 15 years ago. I think the draw for me and many of my clients is that these towns do have easy commute, good schools and alot of things to do. That said, Glen Ridge is charming, smaller and many people think therefore more manageable. It also boasts terrific schools which is a draw for families and those interested in resale. Montclair also has incredible schools. What I often hear is that people are happy with elementary schools in Bloomfield, but not the high school. It is personal opinion. In terms of where to live, many towns like Glen Ridge, Verona enjoy the hub that Montclair offers in terms of restaurants, theatre, music, etc. Bloomfield does have a downtown, historic area but it is a large town and alot of people seek to live in the Brookdale, Demarest, Oakview areas that are closer to Montclair and Glen Ridge. Several other towns with their own downtowns are also strong options for some; West Orange, Cedar Grove, Maplewood, South Orange, Little Falls. Of course, prices in Essex County are on the higher end as are taxes. [mod cut]. Good luck! Elaine

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-07-2007 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: See TOS, no advertising, especially by realtors.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 63,554 times
I live in Bloomfield and directly across the street from my apartment complex is Glenridge and bordering on Montclair, NJ. I've lived here 7 years and I have no complaints. Like most places in the world in which we live today, you will find crime everywhere some to a lesser or greater degree no matter how beautiful a community is to the naked eye. What attracted me to Bloomfield was how convenient it is. The Bloomfield train station is a hop, skip and a jump from my house, but there is one draw back- the rails do not operate on weekends in Glenridge as well which again is close by. Montclair is also close, shops, restaurants, theater, gym and such a good feeling cruising just like in NYC. Bloomfield is a great place to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymac View Post
Hello - I am probably one of many people who have asked the question, but are these towns good places to move to & raise children? Bloomfield has some places we like, but I'm confused about the crime rate? So high when next to 'tony' places like Glen Ridge? Can you walk around at night & walk in the park feeling safe? And the schools - such a wide difference? We currently live in midtown-(and love it), but w/baby makes 3 our 1 bedroom might get a bit tight. The crazy thing is our apt is still cheaper then a house in the 430K range(our max). We like the train line out of Montclair b/c my HB works in Weehauken & can take the light rail from Hoboken & I can still make my commute over the GWB both in 30-40m. These are purely speculative ideas-can anyone offer me any feedback on these towns & if those commutes are realistic?? Thanks!!!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM

7,178 posts, read 11,298,964 times
I lived in Bloomfield for 26 years. Left there 12 years ago. The schools were ok when I went there (graduated in the middle 80's), but I hear (from friends and relations who still live there) that they have gone down hill. The "North End" of Bloomfield toward Montclair and Clifton is much nicer than the "South End" which borders Belleville, Newark and East Orange. From what I am told, crime is on the rise. I lived on the South side of town and there was a lot of car theft. I myself had 2 cars stolen and my brother had the same car stolen twice. This was in the late 80's. I also remember having many bicycles, skateboards, mopeds etc. stolen among my group of friends growing up. I personally would never move back there, but it is an easy commute to NYC. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,372,818 times
Keep in mind that Glen Ridge borders the south side of Bloomfield.
Since it's not likely you'll find housing in GR or Montclair for $430k, I'd definitely check into the Brookdale or Oakview areas of Bloomfield.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:18 PM

10 posts, read 63,554 times
Default Is the move to pa, worth it

I live in bloomfield, nj and i hate to leave because it is a relatively safe place to live not to mention the convenience of having transportation at your feet. I would like to hear from anyone out there who has any information about easton or forks pennsylvania?

Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM

7,577 posts, read 21,695,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolest53 View Post
I live in bloomfield, nj and i hate to leave because it is a relatively safe place to live not to mention the convenience of having transportation at your feet. I would like to hear from anyone out there who has any information about easton or forks pennsylvania?
Easton..take a drive-by one day and see for yourself..It's gone way down hill. I don't know about Forks..never heard of it. Maybe try one of the PA forums?

Old 08-12-2008, 03:06 PM

792 posts, read 3,006,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymac View Post
We like the train line out of Montclair b/c my HB works in Weehauken & can take the light rail from Hoboken & I can still make my commute over the GWB both in 30-40m. These are purely speculative ideas-can anyone offer me any feedback on these towns & if those commutes are realistic?? Thanks!!!
Would you consider the eastern sections of Cedar Grove and Little Falls (and maybe SW corner of West Paterson) closest to Montclair State University and their new train park & ride. I believe the CG/LF schools may be same or superior and taxes perhaps less. The Hoboken train service should have more options from Montclair State University including a few Hoboken/Newark expresses (which by-pass the towns down the line). So I am thinking you can get better schools, lower taxes, and more train service for your HB. Plus you will near junctions of RT3/46 (80 closeby) for your drive. Just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey