Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:45 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Interesting thread. My girlfriend and I drove to Florida (and back, obviously!) a few weeks ago and counted TWO police cruisers between Delaware and Palm Beach County, Florida. During a drive on I-195 earlier this week, I counted three within 20 miles. Also, speed limits from N.C. down are 70 MPH and it was a pleasure to do a steady 85 or so without the fear of being pulled over.

I agree, police presence in New Jersey is getting out of hand. It's almost like they're out to get you, just watching for you to slip up and do something wrong. What makes it worse are all the folks who arrogantly display their courtesy PBA shields in their windows as if to give a good old middle finger to the rest of us chumps who would have to pay if we get pulled over. I haven't gotten a ticket for anything in years, but I know the time will come sooner or later. It's really frustrating always looking in your rearview.

Perhaps the most disgusting display of "over-policing" is in Long Beach Island. Just a word to all the visitors who will be coming this weekend to our fine island - better get your registration/inspection in place and have your seatbelts on. The cops (as they do every year) will be on foot walking in the traffic ham on the Causeway bridge searching for any violation they can. They'll instruct you to pull into a gravel lot beside the roadway if anything is amiss where you can collect your ticket.
I've been there several times in the past, before a self-imposed boycott that has been standing now for 12 years. Why would anyone travel that distance to subject themselves to this type of atmosphere. This on top of the 3-4 hour drive in traffic from North Jersey, especially. I've never understood the gravitational pull towards this place in particular, especially with that type of atmosphere clouding LBI in the first place. (Yes, I've observed that action on the causeway one time before, it is reminscent of Germany around 1936.) Mind you, it's not the police I have a problem with per se, but rather the town councils that dictate policy.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:02 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've been there several times in the past, before a self-imposed boycott that has been standing now for 12 years. Why would anyone travel that distance to subject themselves to this type of atmosphere. This on top of the 3-4 hour drive in traffic from North Jersey, especially. I've never understood the gravitational pull towards this place in particular, especially with that type of atmosphere clouding LBI in the first place. (Yes, I've observed that action on the causeway one time before, it is reminscent of Germany around 1936.) Mind you, it's not the police I have a problem with per se, but rather the town councils that dictate policy.
I've been going there for 20+ years and NEVER encountered what is being portrayed as a common occurrence there.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've been going there for 20+ years and NEVER encountered what is being portrayed as a common occurrence there.
I saw it happen right around the island that's just before the 'main' island and right after the bridge. I don't know if I am explaining this well enough, but there is a turn-around there, on Rt 72. Only once, but I'll never forget it. The traffic was backed up bumper to bumper in this area. It was the second to last time I've ever been there, I want to say it was 1997.

But that's not the main reason I stopped going. I just think it's a mediocre beach/island, and most who go there are basically extending their household/culture to a beach full of sand. I've always argued that one could throw a bunch of sand in their backyard and buy a CD of waves crashing when it comes to the NJ shore, and summer beach rentals. You can save a whole lot of money, time and aggravation. Now, mind you, when it comes to fishing, that's a whole different ball game! Then I'll gladly endure the traffic/suffering in exchange for a good 3/4 day blues fishing boat.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I saw it happen right around the island that's just before the 'main' island and right after the bridge. I don't know if I am explaining this well enough, but there is a turn-around there, on Rt 72. Only once, but I'll never forget it. The traffic was backed up bumper to bumper in this area. It was the second to last time I've ever been there, I want to say it was 1997.

But that's not the main reason I stopped going. I just think it's a mediocre beach/island, and most who go there are basically extending their household/culture to a beach full of sand. I've always argued that one could throw a bunch of sand in their backyard and buy a CD of waves crashing when it comes to the NJ shore, and summer beach rentals. You can save a whole lot of money, time and aggravation. Now, mind you, when it comes to fishing, that's a whole different ball game! Then I'll gladly endure the traffic/suffering in exchange for a good 3/4 day blues fishing boat.
i believe what you guys are talking about are not the police on long beach island, but stafford township. so, to boycott LBI because of the actions of another township's administration seems strange.

as far as the bolded, would you say the same for someone who lives in the IE?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
i believe what you guys are talking about are not the police on long beach island, but stafford township. so, to boycott LBI because of the actions of another township's administration seems strange.

as far as the bolded, would you say the same for someone who lives in the IE?
You know, I think you are absolutely correct in this regard. That last piece of island before the barrier is in fact under the jurisdiction of Stafford Twp. Good call Tahiti.

I don't know what IE stands for, but when it comes to the island, I think you have 5 separate boroughs, amongst them Beach Haven, Harvey Cedars, Barnegat Light, Ship Bottom and Surf City. As an aside, how asinine is this? Why not just have the entire island under one jurisdiction? But no! In typical NJ parlance, we have to cut the island up into 5 separate fiefdoms!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You know, I think you are absolutely correct in this regard. That last piece of island before the barrier is in fact under the jurisdiction of Stafford Twp. Good call Tahiti.

I don't know what IE stands for, but when it comes to the island, I think you have 5 separate boroughs, amongst them Beach Haven, Harvey Cedars, Barnegat Light, Ship Bottom and Surf City. As an aside, how asinine is this? Why not just have the entire island under one jurisdiction? But no! In typical NJ parlance, we have to cut the island up into 5 separate fiefdoms!
mike, mike, mike...you disappoint me!

IE = Inland Empire

as far as the townships on LBI...you forgot the largest - Long Beach Township (from Brant Beach south to Holgate), LOL.

I can't speak to the ineffectiveness of these multiple townships, especially since there are so few residents year round. Their taxes are "reasonable", all grammar school kids go to the school in Beach Haven, and SORHS in Manahawkin. Maybe there's some duplication of administrative personnel, but I'd hardly use it as a beacon for consolidation, KWIM?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
mike, mike, mike...you disappoint me!

IE = Inland Empire

as far as the townships on LBI...you forgot the largest - Long Beach Township (from Brant Beach south to Holgate), LOL.

I can't speak to the ineffectiveness of these multiple townships, especially since there are so few residents year round. Their taxes are "reasonable", all grammar school kids go to the school in Beach Haven, and SORHS in Manahawkin. Maybe there's some duplication of administrative personnel, but I'd hardly use it as a beacon for consolidation, KWIM?
Inland Empire, as in Riverside County California? I'm not following.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM

111 posts, read 319,220 times
It is because of the state furloughs there were so many cops out yesterday.
Sheriff's officers shift focus, bring in 14 - NJ.com

Old 06-30-2009, 05:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,820 times
Quote:
I've personally seen it three times so far this month. Both the island cops (Ship Bottom) and mainland (Stafford Twp.) have done it before. Stafford cops have gone so far as to walk on the center median of Route 72 scoping out anything they can find. Ship Bottom doesn't do it to the same extent, but I've seen them pulling that stuff too.

Overall, police presence on LBI is out of control, in my opinion. These departments are too big for the towns they cover, they are ALWAYS actively looking for ANYTHING and ANYONE they can ticket and most of these guys have pretty bad attitude issues, even towards year-round residents. In one example that always fires me up, Surf City PD will ticket anyone who parks even an inch less than 25 feet away from a street corner. Fine, except the town REFUSES to paint the curbs yellow or put "No Parking Here to Corner" signs up. They actually are HOPING people will violate the law (intentionally or unintentionally) so they can make money on parking fines. I don't know about you folks, but I don't carry tape measures with me everywhere I go.

Last edited by VeradoDan; 06-30-2009 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
In our city, the second biggest in the state(Jersey City) soon to be the biggest after the next census we do not tell our officers to pick it up because of the economy. From what I noticed they actually give more breaks now. As for someone breaking the law and getting a ticket man up and pay it. My wife just got a seat belt ticket and I sent the check out. It's amazing that people hate the police so much. Well to each there own I don't have much backup. But I do know them and appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey