Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM

5 posts, read 35,853 times

Advertisements

My dad recently retired. He is originally from Beijing and currently lives in the Heights section of Jersey City. The change from active skilled worker to retiree has not been an easy one to make, so I would like to help him find people in the area he can socialize with. Recommendations welcome and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen1234 View Post
My dad recently retired. He is originally from Beijing and currently lives in the Heights section of Jersey City. The change from active skilled worker to retiree has not been an easy one to make, so I would like to help him find people in the area he can socialize with. Recommendations welcome and appreciated!
THere are several Chinese around the area between Exchange place and Pavonia Newport.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times
Harrison?

Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Chinese community in Jersey City

Thanks for your reply, elflord1973.

The Exchange Place and Newport area are in downtown Jersey City, which unfortunately, for my father is a bit difficult to reach even though it is 15 minutes by public transportation.

I am hoping a Chinese community exists in the Jersey City Heights area. There is a Chinese supermarket on Route 1/9, called 555. A lot of Chinese frequent there but it's not the kind of setting where one can simply introduce themselves and make friends, which is unfortunate because in my parents' old country, people would not think twice about meeting people in the markets.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Chinese community in Jersey City?

I would also be happy to speak with people who have parents that are in a similar situation-- Mandarin-speaking, retired, in the Jersey City area who are looking for an older Chinese community to socialize with. Thank you.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 AM

26 posts, read 128,070 times
I happened to visit Piscataway Senior Center recently, and I found hundreds of Chinese retired people, some were US Citizens, some were parents visiting their children studying at Rutgers University; they came all over the China, Beijing, Shanghai, Hanzhow, Taiwan, Hong Kong, ...etc.

It is right next to Piscataway JFK Library where you may bring your parents to visit once in a while, about 30 miles from Jersey City, a very nice weekend visit.

While you were there, you may also check out the Buena Vista area that has nice bike route to walk around, and near Rutgers University. And you can also talk to my AT&T colleague Jemmy Kan jemmykan@hotmail.com who is #1 enthusiastic Chinese in NJ whose parents are in senior housing and can introduce you many many retired Chinese families.

Time flies, now even Jemmy just got retired and study Chinese medicine, and he broadcast all sorts of great info to hundreds of retired Chinese in the area such as

And, you want to give your retired dad an Internet connected computer and help him to create a free google email account, ...etc and send to Jemmy Kan so that your dad will be in the mailing list, getting to know so many people want to social.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:38 AM

Also, you may find NTDTV is wonderful that I can see it on Channel 20 every day 10pm to 11pm that also have many popular call in program that your dad can call in from home.

You can also watch their website as well, if you miss anything. I am in particularly interested in their 认识中医 program Dr. Hu. When he came to talk in Crown Plaza at Rt 27 Edison, NJ the other day, it was as thousand audience full house...

Of course, your dad can also get to know many of us over social network such as Facebook and youtube ...

Old 06-30-2009, 12:44 AM

Ok, how old is your dad? If he likes to play majan,
Dr. Cheng plays every day, so are all his friends.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Chinese community in Jersey City

Thank you for your response, RutgersParent.

My dad is in his sixties and is very familiar with Chinese TV. There is one that is focused on health-issues that he watches every week, so it may be the one you are referring to with Dr. Hu.

Actually, I recently purchased a new Dell desktop for my dad. He is learning how to use the internet. There is a website called www.kaixinwang.com, which is the equivalent of a Chinese facebook and myspace. Unfortunately, he has lost touch with so many people in China that it is hard to even begin searching for his neighbors and classmates in Beijing. Just yesterday, I was helping him locate a middle school classmate who he grew up with. Unfortunately, the search results turned out zero hits.

Although I hope it will be a long time before my parents move to a senior housing, I will get in touch with your friend Jemmy Kan. Thanks again!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,837 times
Hi i,m not a chinese person but i like meet a chinese girl .Where is the best town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey