Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:14 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times

Advertisements

My advice would to be to find a job off the books while collecting your unemployment benefit. I notice that you are almost penalized for having a taxable income, even if it is miniscule, when trying to collect unemployment to make up for your previous job's lost wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 AM

4,152 posts, read 4,170,113 times
my father in law started a job that pay less than what he collect in unemployment. I told him why bother, just sit home and collect unemployment instead.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,884 times
When applying for weekly benefits in NYC, there's a question that asks if you made more than $420 in the week that just passed. To me, this implies that if you earn $420 or less that you can still get your full unemployment. When you answer no, it calculates that you are eligible for your weekly benefit. I could do some fee for service work to supplement the unemployment and would like to be able to since I cannot pay bills with just $420 a week which is NY maximum amount!!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 9,305 times
Default Why work even if they deduct the amount from Unemployment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrngrs View Post
Does anyone know if you can earn while collecting? The benefit form asks whether you worked or earned a commission. I was told by an individual that you can earn up to 20% of your weekly benefit, but when I called the unemployment office I was told that no matter how much you make, it is deducted. Has anyone actually worked while collecting? I must say if you are getting 560.00 per week and can earn an additional 100.00 for a commissioned job but have unemployment deduct from your check, why bother? This has nothing to do with actually getting a full time job of course, but why do anything part time if the occasion arises when they take it away?

If one is serious about finding full time work you have to network. What better way for employers to know what you can do, than to prove it?
Life is short and working a miserable job is not what most of us want to do, this is the best time to find out what you like or not like. Taking positions that are "temporary" or part-time, gets you the chance to meet people that might be helpful, gives you the opportunity of trying different jobs. Also, part-time jobs often also lead to permanent offers.

Also, getting more schooling, community college or otherwise, is something to consider, rather than just staying home and hoping something will come up.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margeaa View Post
Another question along these lines:

How about you're collecting unemployment and you are trying to start your own business. You collect $100 from someone who uses your services one week.....but you really don't make a profit because you have to pay for materials or something else for the business that is more than $100. In other words, you are not making any profit on your business yet. Do you need to report that $100 that week to unemployment?

This thread has been so helpful to me, thank you!! Navigating these unemployed waters is something very new to me, and I am lost!

Regarding the above question, I am in PA and know for sure that if you are starting your own business you are ineligible to receive unemployment because you are unable and not ready to return to work.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:30 AM

Default Starting your own business

I would check with the PA Unemployment people, because probably one can start a business on a part time basis (the best way, by the way). You could be ready and able for full-time employment and still work evenings and weekends, especially if you are self-employed. If you are not making over their maximum you would probably be able to continue collecting some portion. Good luck, it is scary.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:30 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp1234 View Post

If one is serious about finding full time work you have to network. What better way for employers to know what you can do, than to prove it?
Life is short and working a miserable job is not what most of us want to do, this is the best time to find out what you like or not like. Taking positions that are "temporary" or part-time, gets you the chance to meet people that might be helpful, gives you the opportunity of trying different jobs. Also, part-time jobs often also lead to permanent offers.

Also, getting more schooling, community college or otherwise, is something to consider, rather than just staying home and hoping something will come up.
If you enroll in school you lose unemployment benefits since you are no longer "available" to work those hours you are in class. Unless you enroll in a program directly through unemployment you cannot go to school.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrngrs View Post
Does anyone know if you can earn while collecting? The benefit form asks whether you worked or earned a commission. I was told by an individual that you can earn up to 20% of your weekly benefit, but when I called the unemployment office I was told that no matter how much you make, it is deducted. Has anyone actually worked while collecting? I must say if you are getting 560.00 per week and can earn an additional 100.00 for a commissioned job but have unemployment deduct from your check, why bother? This has nothing to do with actually getting a full time job of course, but why do anything part time if the occasion arises when they take it away?
Illegal if you don't report it.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
If you enroll in school you lose unemployment benefits since you are no longer "available" to work those hours you are in class. Unless you enroll in a program directly through unemployment you cannot go to school.
Great idea enrolling through Unemployment if they have that available! Also, there are some certification courses that are offerred on weekends and evenings. You would probably want to call UE, later in the day seems best, to check if taking such courses will stop your UE benefits.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
What if I make 215 a week unemployment and I am gonna work 20 hours a week at 8.50 hour??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey