Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 PM

6 posts, read 25,102 times
it's all this damn traffic! :X

jersey residents are sick and tired of everyone else in this country rippin on their home, as the armpit of the US. at least i am! it's embedded in american culture that nj is like ny's inferior little brother, and i think we new jerseyans are tired of getting picked on.... so if we seem defensive, we have our reasons!

but seriously, i think people in NJ are really nice. perhaps i'm biased, since I absolutely love it here, and I wanna stay here as long as i can afford to, but i think that jersey people just have a weird way of being cordial. i'd much have it in your face, direct, than sugar-coated and fake, like the way i've experienced in England or the southern part of the US (where their tone of voice is nice and polite, but you can see in their eyes that they don't really welcome you.)

but hey, i'm a jersey girl. i'm direct, and if i don't like you, i won't act like it... and i expect the same from everyone else!

Old 07-02-2009, 11:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Maybe it's just me, but just about everyone I meet in NJ seems like they are 2 seconds away from losing it. Is it the economy? I've lived through bad economic conditions before I can't recall people acting this way. I travel throughout the northeast and it just seems so bad in NJ and NY.

Maybe its the media that has everyone on the edge of their seats waiting for the next crisis. Will the day come when people once again act civil to each other in NJ?

Anyone else finding this more and more in NJ?
Why do people perceive this? I haven't seen any such thing. I haven't seen anyone "snap", nor have I seen anyone "ready to snap", neither in NJ, nor in New York, Los Angeles, or Las Vegas (and if you aren't seeing it in Vegas, you probably won't see it anywhere!).

What does "snap" mean? Someone breaks down into an emotiona mess of anger and tears and cries on the sidewalk? Or somebody snaps into an angry fit and attacks another person? I've seen nothing of the sort.

Honestly, to those of you who have seen this "snap"ping, what exactly are you talking about? Could it be, perhaps, that your perception is skewed? (I honestly believe your perception is extremely skewed and you're seeing what you want to convince yourself that you're seeing.)

Old 07-03-2009, 07:10 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,316,442 times
Default Are we taught to "think wrongly"?

Why is the English curriculum taught in our high schools overly focused on darkness and death? Does that get us "thinking wrongly" or thinking negatively at a young age... from which many are unable to recover and learn to think correctly or think positively?

Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Why is the English curriculum taught in our high schools overly focused on darkness and death? Does that get us "thinking wrongly" or thinking negatively at a young age... from which many are unable to recover and learn to think correctly or think positively?
Yes.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenwcandy View Post

but hey, i'm a jersey girl. i'm direct, and if i don't like you, i won't act like it... and i expect the same from everyone else!
Do you like me?

Please let me know.

I think that because of the current economy, the VERY HIGH NJ COL and lack of jobs or people thinking they're going the lose the one they have have plenty to do with why the "snap syndrome".

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Smile No. It's just you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Maybe it's just me, but just about everyone I meet in NJ seems like they are 2 seconds away from losing it. Is it the economy? I've lived through bad economic conditions before I can't recall people acting this way. I travel throughout the northeast and it just seems so bad in NJ and NY.

Maybe its the media that has everyone on the edge of their seats waiting for the next crisis. Will the day come when people once again act civil to each other in NJ?

Anyone else finding this more and more in NJ?
No. I do not see this. It is just you.
Also, karma. You get what you give.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:10 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,789,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Not where I went to school, in Bergen County. Nor at Rutgers, where I majored in English, was the "English curriculum...overly focused on darkness and death".

Where do you people come up with this hogwash? Are you all just making these things up so you can whine about NJ???

That's about the only thing I see in NJ - a lot of whiners who whine about the state but don't have the brains to leave, if it's so bad here. There arer 49 other states out there, folks, so if NJ is not pleasing you then feel free to go someplace that is more to your liking. Just don't stick around here whining, please.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:06 PM

538 posts, read 2,458,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
No. I do not see this. It is just you.
Also, karma. You get what you give.
You're right dude, its just me.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Not where I went to school, in Bergen County. Nor at Rutgers, where I majored in English, was the "English curriculum...overly focused on darkness and death".

Where do you people come up with this hogwash? Are you all just making these things up so you can whine about NJ???

That's about the only thing I see in NJ - a lot of whiners who whine about the state but don't have the brains to leave, if it's so bad here. There arer 49 other states out there, folks, so if NJ is not pleasing you then feel free to go someplace that is more to your liking. Just don't stick around here whining, please.
Ever notice how anytime you criticize your home state, someone comes on here and tells you "if you don't like it here, you should leave." I love this state thats why I criticize it. I want it to be better- lower taxes, honest politicians, less traffic, less angry people; don't you agree that NJ would be better with these attributes?

I think you illustrate my point by implying that anyone who criticizes this state has no brains.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Why do people perceive this? I haven't seen any such thing. I haven't seen anyone "snap", nor have I seen anyone "ready to snap", neither in NJ, nor in New York, Los Angeles, or Las Vegas (and if you aren't seeing it in Vegas, you probably won't see it anywhere!).

What does "snap" mean? Someone breaks down into an emotiona mess of anger and tears and cries on the sidewalk? Or somebody snaps into an angry fit and attacks another person? I've seen nothing of the sort.

Honestly, to those of you who have seen this "snap"ping, what exactly are you talking about? Could it be, perhaps, that your perception is skewed? (I honestly believe your perception is extremely skewed and you're seeing what you want to convince yourself that you're seeing.)

Ever heard of road rage? I could point out other examples but I'm not going to waste my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey