Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:45 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
Ohhhh...got ya. I hardly ever go to Walmart and was mistaken. Anyways, the location in Secaucus is right next door to Sam's Club. Since both are owned by the same company, there might not be any rush to expand Walmart since Sam's has pretty much everything foodwise.
It's not the same, we have sams and a Super Walmart right next to each other. Sam's is basically bulk food, Walmart, same as a supermarket, but has some Sam's items in smaller quanity. They also have a hot food bar, which must vary from store to store. All the Walmarts here are super Walmarts. We also have Super Target with the same deal.

Diane G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM

53 posts, read 312,506 times
So does anyone know the answer regarding whether this location is becoming a Super Walmart, or if they are simply expanding it? I know Super Walmart's have been opposed in force throughout New Jersey by the unions.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:58 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
The Walmart in SECAUCUS is being expanded into a Super Wal-Mart. Drive by and you can see the construction. Completion date is set for winter 2010.

Let's end this right now.. You can check for yourself in this article.
Business News - Hartz Mountain Reports Strong Leasing Activity in 2008 (http://www.njand.com/news/business.php/2009/02/10/p2864 - broken link)

Old 07-03-2009, 11:48 AM

53 posts, read 312,506 times
Thanks for that information. Most Super Walmart's in the South are open 24/7. I wonder if the hours at the Secaucus Walmart will be extended. Personally, I'd prefer if it is open 24 hours, as the store is completely overrun during normal business hours now, especially on weekends.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:52 PM

177 posts, read 700,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
They are in the process of expanding the Walmart and it should be done soon. But the place is a zoo. I will travel to Clifton commons to grocery shop before attempting to try and buy anything from that location. weekends are the worst. Hopefully when the one in North bergen opens it will improve. The staff in the place is the worst. No one seems to know anything, even if you can find one.

Sam's is somewhat better but again avoid the weekends. when they built the two, parking seemed to be an afterthought as you can never find a parking spot.

I agree with everything you said. The Walmart in Secaucus is near "animal territory" so you get the dregs of Hudson County not only shopping there, but working there as well. It's funny, I just got back from Sam's over there. I noticed one of the cashiers, he was wearing a baseball cap barely on his head and tilted to the side, along with his earring. I also couldn't help but notice all the bright colored Nikes some of the employees were wearing. I guess we shouldn't expect much from a company that pays it's workers low wages...it's just a little disheartening.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:52 AM

20,334 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
.........., he was wearing a baseball cap barely on his head and tilted to the side, along with his earring. I also couldn't help but notice all the bright colored Nikes some of the employees were wearing. I guess we shouldn't expect much from a company that pays it's workers low wages...it's just a little disheartening.
Somehow I don't think the fashion styles you mentioned on are due to the wages paid to the workers for their entry level, low skill positions.

That particular look is popular with certain types of people.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:25 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
They aren't pushing to extend the hours. The only place that ever tried that was the Home Depot and it was a failure. The hours they currently have seem to fit them the best.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,545 times
North Bergen Super Walmart is now open. And yes, the Secaucus location is about to become a Super Walmart very soon. I believe today was the day it was scheduled to open as Super Walmart but don't know if it did. I was out there last week and construction appeared to be in last stages.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,107 times
The best thing about the Secaucus store becoming a Super Wal-Mart is that it's right near New York City. That store gets plenty of New Yorkers shopping there,since we don't have Wal-Mart, not to mention it's right near the highways compared to the North Bergen Wal-Mart on Tonnelle Avenue. In addition, the nearest SuperCenter to NYC, specifically the Bronx, is up near Poughkeepsie.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
and thus the "Walmartification" of NJ begins. UGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey