Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM

35 posts, read 192,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
How does one become a section 8 landlord?
Section 8 Application - Apply Section 8 Housing - Section 8 Consolidation Program Application

Old 11-27-2007, 03:20 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,964,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about. You've already told us that you're better than everyone else so why would you comment on something you have no knowledge of? Section 8 and subsidized housing are very different things. Many home owners will become Section 8 landlords because they know they have a better chance of getting tenants who will pay the rent on time and take care of their property. The townhomes in my neighborhood are renting for $1750 and up and many of them are section 8. And I live in a very nice gated community. Look on craigslist.com or in the courier news there are rentals $2000 and higher that are section 8.

I think you should change your screenname to Archie Bunker 2008 cause you def have some people issues.

you really should control yourself, you make yourself look quite foolish stating someone doesn't know what they're talking about and then insulting then and then to proceed to posting inaccurate facts that germinated from who knows where.

First off where did I ever state that I was better than anyone else? Because I live in a well to do area? is that is just your inferiority complex kicking in?
because I don't live in the 'hood I don't have enough "cred" for you?

addressing you statements regarding section 8 housing,
some landlords do indeed prefer section 8 tenants because they are guaranteed to get their portion of the rent that the government pays, the tenant usually pays less than 30% of their income. and if they miss their payments or trash the place they get tossed from the program, sounds good on paper, but the reality is that they don't always meet their commitments and they sometimes do not maintain their homes well.
Just like some landlords will not take section 8 tenants because it limits how much they can rent the units for.

Regarding section 8 units costing 2k a month and in gated communities, first off where in NJ are there gated communities? there are a few but they are rare, I don't think that those units would qualify to section 8 units because the Fair Market Rent" (FMR) which is determined by HUD is way too high.

and lastly what do you call it when government is paying part of someones rent? if that isn't a subsidy I don't know what would be one

Please refer to Section 8 (housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for some realistic information

Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I think more than one person has told him that. I don't think he's afraid that he will be injured; he just doesn't want his lily white neighborhood to be associated with undesirables.
no I just don't want to see losers who post crap like this moving in!
so what program are you in?

Old 11-27-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoPhilly View Post
wow, so i guess poor ppl are the only ones with drug problems and go to jail huh???
why is it when someone posts an opinion that doesn't conform to your view of the world, when someone points out the real fact that people who have been convicted of crimes are not decent people, they're criminals and yes there is a stigma attached to being a criminal. if they are in a drug program the fact is that they are in that program because they couldn't manage their lives.

why do people like you always contrive an idiotic response like this when confronted with these facts?

People who have been in jail, people who are in drug treatment programs, people who need supervision are the kind of people I really have no desire to be exposed to, I avoid people like that and I avoid where they live and congregate.
Maybe you want to embrace them, help them turn their lives around and that's very noble of you, but most people don't give a hoot about them and you have no right to get sanctimonious about it. If you and your ilk want to try and save the world, great, just don't try and force your views down my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoPhilly View Post
i have worked with men and women released from jail to participate in drug and alcohol treatment/live in a halfway house. not all of my clients were low lives that couldn't afford your ritzy neighborhood.
maybe not all of them are lowlifes but most of them are, you can parade around the few rich boys who've been in your programs all you care to but that doesn't alter the fact that the majority of people, convicts who are in programs at half way houses for release from prisons are dirt bags.

Last edited by apvbguy; 11-27-2007 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Uh yeah I am right. Let me rephrase this so it comes across as a clear FACT and not an OPINION.

* Halfway houses have monitors.*

I didn't say that it wasn't an undesirable situation...I said who is he to label a person as undesirable. And I stand by that comment, none of us are so superior that we can label another person as undesirable. My next door neighbor has 4 bad ass kids who run the streets all times of night and always sitting on my car and she works all day and night - it's an undesirable situation but that doesn't make them undesirables. You all should really read the posts before you call someone naive.
sounds very undesirable to me, I wouldn't want to live next to a family like that.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:55 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,273 times
I think this forum has gone beyond what the OP asked (roughly "do you think you should have a choice or at least be informed that a half-way house will be plunked right in the middle of your neighborhood?").

We shouldn't be attacking people because their opinions differ from yours.

Personally, I certainly would be unhappy if a half-way house was plunked down in my neighborhood without the neighborhood being notified and not having any choice about it. It smacks too much of big government stepping on its citizens because it can. Too much power in government.

Happily, a solution is found on this board: freedom of choice. It's the American way.

Here's the proposal:

Each neighborhood where a half-way house is planned for should be informed and their approval sought. If they don't want it there, then it shouldn't be forced into their neighborhood.

Where to put it then? In those neighborhoods that want them. And judging from the answers on this forum, there seems to be more neighborhoods that want them in THEIR own neighborhoods. Put them there.

Problem solved. Everyone's happy.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM

35 posts, read 192,920 times
apvbguy... you made the comment
more than likely they wouldn't wind up where I live because they couldn't afford it unless government puts a halfway house here, and that was the point of the thread. All this puffery is nonsense.

and i am pointing out the FACT that a lot these ppl in these programs CAN afford to and WILL live in your neighborhood if they so please... and who are you to say that most people don't give a hoot about anyone?? since when has your opinion counted for most people?

yes this is way off from what the OP discussed... yes i think the appropriate thing would be to notify residents when there are plans to open a halfway house or what have you in the area... as you can see, i don't have a problem with it as long as my well being is not affected... but i live in the hood amongst the undesirables, i guess i'm an undesirable too and should be used to it!!!!! i am so done with this topic... thank you and GOOD NIGHT :-D :-D :-D

Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 AM

544 posts, read 1,058,217 times
Obviously you can't read, which makes me doubt you're as successful as you claim to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
you really should control yourself, you make yourself look quite foolish stating someone doesn't know what they're talking about and then insulting then and then to proceed to posting inaccurate facts that germinated from who knows where.
I told you where my facts were coming from.

Quote:
First off where did I ever state that I was better than anyone else? Because I live in a well to do area? because I don't live in the 'hood I don't have enough "cred" for you?
Did I say you needed to live the 'hood' what exactly is the 'hood'? Are you assuming I'm from the 'hood' because I don't agree with your predjudiced comments...and before you jump on your high horse no one is callin you racist, but you've already stated that people who are in halfway houses are lowlifes and then commented that people who are on section 8 are undesirable.

Quote:
Regarding section 8 units costing 2k a month and in gated communities, first off where in NJ are there gated communities?
I said I lived in a gated community. Did I say I lived in NJ? Being a landlord is always a risky situation. I don't have to be on section 8 to trash a house or not pay my rent.

Quote:
Please refer to Section 8 (housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for some realistic information
Oh yes lets all go Wikipedia because EVERYTHING on wikipedia is correct - forget the county websites -

Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,372,909 times
Quote:
no I just don't want to see losers who post crap like this moving in! so what program are you in?
So now I'm a loser because I don't believe you should discount people for making bad choices in their lives? I'm in the program where I believe everyone is entitled the improve their lives. I'm very well aware of the fact that many don't chose to do better, but I don't support taking away the chances of those who do. I was in a program where we hunted people down and attacked them for disagreeing with us on public forums, but I was kicked out. My past perfomance of not being violent was indicative of my future.

Quote:
why is it when someone posts an opinion that doesn't conform to your view of the world, why do people like you always contrive an idiotic response like this when confronted with these facts?
Oh you mean idiotic like calling someone a loser and their thoughts crap? Or were you excluding yourself from your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Personally, I certainly would be unhappy if a half-way house was plunked down in my neighborhood without the neighborhood being notified and not having any choice about it. It smacks too much of big government stepping on its citizens because it can. Too much power in government.

Here's the proposal:

Each neighborhood where a half-way house is planned for should be informed and their approval sought. If they don't want it there, then it shouldn't be forced into their neighborhood.
I like that you offered a solution, but I doubt the govt is asking permission for anything. I know that when they put a halfway house on my grandmother's block, they didn't ask them anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Where to put it then? In those neighborhoods that want them. And judging from the answers on this forum, there seems to be more neighborhoods that want them in THEIR own neighborhoods. Put them there.
Honestly, who would vote for that besides drug dealers? Unless the halfway house came with some tax breaks or monetary incentives, I doubt many people would even vote. I know we are all educated, informed, voters on this board but most people don't vote. The attitude is "the govt is going to do whatever they want so why waste my time voting"

But back to the OP: While I would not jump for joy over a halfway house popping up in my neighborhood, it would not bother me. I would, however, gladly welcome the presence of the police as it dissuade my neighbors kids from spending so much time on my car.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,456 times
A halfway house was started up the block from my old house about 10 years ago. Slowly, but surely, it became a haven for drugs and prostitution. It was rarely supervised and cops were there all the time. Slowly, people started moving out and the neighborhood went to crap. Now, they built a condo complex right across the street. Suffice it to say, their parking lot is pretty much empty. I mean, these aren't people who'd put a knife to your throat, but they would steal your car radio. Certainly not anyone who you'd want to call neighbor.

To answer the question, I absolutely hope I'd have a say in any halfway house proposal involving my current neighborhood. But, this being NJ, I highly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: