Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 AM

35 posts, read 192,888 times

Advertisements

hey abvguy... watch the show "intervention" that comes on A&E... most of the abusers featured have been of the non-black variety... drug abusers come in all shades of the rainbow dear... it just so happens that most american blacks are CONCENTRATED in urban areas so it's much more noticeable... i'm sure if we were spread throughout the burbs and rural areas and not lumped on top of each other it wouldn't be as noticeable... trust and believe dear, i'm sure more than one of your neighbors takes one bathroom break too many (if you get my drift)

Old 11-29-2007, 07:47 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,962,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoPhilly View Post
hey abvguy... watch the show "intervention" that comes on A&E... most of the abusers featured have been of the non-black variety... drug abusers come in all shades of the rainbow dear... it just so happens that most american blacks are CONCENTRATED in urban areas so it's much more noticeable... i'm sure if we were spread throughout the burbs and rural areas and not lumped on top of each other it wouldn't be as noticeable... trust and believe dear, i'm sure more than one of your neighbors takes one bathroom break too many (if you get my drift)
like the other poster said, the black community can be more tolerant and accepting of people who become addicts, in white communities the druggies are not accepted and are driven away, maybe that's why you'll find the white druggies in the more accommodating black areas, they are not stigmatized there like they would be in a more affluent area

Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
And I'm sure you're basing this on the numerous black people who associate with drug users that you're friends with right? And did I say criminals? I was talking about drug addicts - they are not always the same things.
they most certainly are one and the same, believe it or not drug use is a criminal activity, and here's another tidibit of info for you, drug users are prone to commiting other crime to support their habit

Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 AM

544 posts, read 1,057,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
now you're getting to the heart of why many white people don't care to live with blacks .
I'm wondering if any of your white board members are going to jump in to back you up on that.

Quote:
In your community a crack head is tolerated in my community he is shunned and disassociated from everyone else. That is why so many whites have fled from the cities with large black populations, your views of the world are not shared by most other people.
Yes, because we all know that no white people tolerate their family members who have substance abuse problems.

Quote:
Your views are not indicative of the entire black population, in fact many working class blacks have more conservative opinions than whites, they work hard, they make sure their children get an education and make something of themselves and they don't tolerate the popular black culture that is promoted by the media, but there are enough blacks who share your views of undesirables and many whites and working class blacks shun people who share your all too tolerant opinion of druggies and criminals.
Working class blacks? What the hell is the working class? The cashier at McDonalds or the partner of a law firm or the rapper on BET.

You know I don't want to make this a white/black thing, but I think that where apvbguy has been aiming at this whole time. And just to let you know statistics show that in the upcoming generation white young adults -especially those in college- are 18% more likely to become substance abusers than minorities, i.e Spanish, African Americans.

This is partly because minorities have already seen the dangers of drugs and usually someone will spot their usage and try to stop it before it goes to far...white people on the other hand, have a tendency to "shun" and "disassociate" themselves from that person or hide and ignore their problem.

I'm not arguing with you about who handles drug abuse the best, because there is no winning team here, but I think it is horribly racist of you to say that white people don't live with black people because black people are more tolerant of crackheads.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
This thread has gone wayyyyy to far off topic - this isn't a black/white or any other race thing. It was about halfway houses and your feelings about having them on your street. This isn't the place to start the next Civil Rights Movement.

I merely stated my views as a black woman growing up in a black community where it was common to know someone who used drugs. I was not trying to start the great race debate.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I'm not arguing with you about who handles drug abuse the best, because there is no winning team here, but I think it is horribly racist of you to say that white people don't live with black people because black people are more tolerant of crackheads.
learn to read for comprehension, the very first sentence was a qualifier, it said that this is NOT a white/black thing, but it is a cultural issue.

and the fact is that the many people in black community have a very different view than whites of people who commit crimes, are drug users and who are incapable of supporting themselves.

To enlighten you as to what I was referring to, a working class black would be people like civil service workers, cops, firemen, utility employees, health care workers, bus drivers, mechanics whatever.
I have met and know many black professionals as well, lawyers, doctors, wall st traders, business owners, who are actually a minority within their own minority group. what is the term used by lower class blacks for them, bougies?
I met a fellow (black) this summer who owns a few fast food places and he was a bigger bigot than archie bunker, his comment about one store he has in the hood and how the people there are always trying to rip him off was quite interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I guess the truth is too hard for you to handle, but I feel the same way about lower class whites also, for example I wouldn't want to live with the trailer park crowd either, nor would I want to live in community of illegal mexicans so stop trying to imply that race has anything to do with the topic, low class undesirable people come in all colors

Old 11-29-2007, 08:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
i think this thread has outlived its usefulness. closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: