Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM

6 posts, read 13,310 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to NJ next month to work in Lakewood. I'm looking for a place nearby, preferrably not more than 15min drive away since I work shifts and take emergency calls. I need a safe place for a single woman, within 20-30min driving distance from stores.

Is Lakewood an okay area? Or if Lakewood is not the place, please recommend communities or towns that is safe.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Lakewood proper is kind of sketchy
Lot of illegals battling with the orthodox Jewish

Outside of the town not to bad
Try Toms River, Brick Town, Howell

Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM

445 posts, read 1,984,667 times
Lakewood as a whole isnt bad. The neighborhoods west and around lake carasaljo is really nice. There are other nice areas as well.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Howell is next to Lakewood. It's a nice safe area. That would be my choice.
There are also Condos that may be for rent in an area of Jackson that borders HowelL. Complex is called 60 Acres. Here is one, there are probably more. This unit is larger.

Condo for Rent 60 Acres (http://cnj.craigslist.org/apa/1211115618.html - broken link)

Diane G

Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 13,310 times
THANK YOU!!!

I'm flying there to hunt for apartments next weekend and will sure look into these areas. btw, where do you look for rentals online? I haven't had much luck looking on Craigslist, forrent etc. I don't need a huge place, just a 1b1b will do. Perhaps I should call the apartment management companies? since i will be there only for 4 days, a focused search is more effective.

Also, "lakewood is sketchy"? Which part of the town or neighborhoods to avoid? I'm working at the medical center and will return home pretty late after shifts so safety is really an issue for me. I used to work in inner-city and once had an awful robbery after shift.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:50 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyday View Post
THANK YOU!!!

I'm flying there to hunt for apartments next weekend and will sure look into these areas. btw, where do you look for rentals online? I haven't had much luck looking on Craigslist, forrent etc. I don't need a huge place, just a 1b1b will do. Perhaps I should call the apartment management companies? since i will be there only for 4 days, a focused search is more effective.

Also, "lakewood is sketchy"? Which part of the town or neighborhoods to avoid? I'm working at the medical center and will return home pretty late after shifts so safety is really an issue for me. I used to work in inner-city and once had an awful robbery after shift.
Paul Kimball Medical Ctr if it's still called that??? North of there in the actual town is sketchy.....right to the Howell border...couple of gang murders, illegals and the orthodox Jewish people who want nothing to do with anyone outside their sect
Try Kentwood Village in Bricktown..about 15 minutes from hospital on Rte 88
or Pt Pleasantnot far at all and clost to beach

(Check out the Pt Pleasant ones in this link..believe me you don't want to live in any apt complex in Lakewood

Apartments in Point Pleasant Boro, NJ 08742 on Yahoo! Local

Here is link for rentals on Realtor.com for Bricktown you can change your search by putting in different town..if you are looking for an apt complex stick with Bricktown, Toms River, Point Pleasant

http://www.move.com/searchresults.as...=msn&styp=rent

The whole area has plenty of shopping..here is link for online news paper for the area it covers two counties..go to Ocean County for news in the Lakewood area

http://www.app.com/

Last edited by njkate; 07-09-2009 at 09:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey