Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,765 times

Advertisements

If you knew your neighbor/ acquaintance was accused of theft, would that make you feel differently about them? Same was booked and summonsed for $380 worth of theft from a NJ Department Store.
Worse yet, I was e-mail with local police blotter info on the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Yes. I would think, "Wow, you're stupid".

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,673 times
I would definitely not treat them differently. I would feel more sorry for them than anything else. These are incredibly difficult times, and people who are otherwise morally sound have been finding themselves backed into a corner having to do drastic things... (true thhough, this was a department store, not a food store....) And I would also be lying if I said I would not be more observant as to whether or not my doors were locked & alarm was on.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes. I would think, "Wow, you're stupid".
Hard core feckin' horse-cart

Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 PM

256 posts, read 842,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I would definitely not treat them differently. I would feel more sorry for them than anything else. These are incredibly difficult times, and people who are otherwise morally sound have been finding themselves backed into a corner having to do drastic things... (true thhough, this was a department store, not a food store....) And I would also be lying if I said I would not be more observant as to whether or not my doors were locked & alarm was on.
things being hard is no excuse to steal. there is no excuse to steal. period

i would stop associating with this person

Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Yes, it would make me think differently, I would make sure my doors were locked all the time should they get desperate for money again.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 AM

"...true though, this was a department store..."

Yes, getting mixed up with the law is no way to diffuse a stressful situation. Department store goods just don't seem the sort of things that are required for survival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post

Old 08-15-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sligogirl View Post
Hard core feckin' horse-cart
# 1stu·pid
# Pronunciation: \ˈstü-pəd

3 : marked by or resulting from unreasoned thinking or acting : senseless <a stupid decision>

stupid - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Old 08-15-2009, 08:45 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
Default Shoplifting

You know I thought of this as I passed a full size billboard along a NJ highway today advertising lawyers for, yep, shoplifting, drugs, etc., etc., call this 800 number.
It's a business that the person is supporting, all the people employed in LEO, courts, lawyers, etc.

The person is just helping the economy move right along. Probably by thetime they're done they could've bought 3 of what they tried to get away with after they pay all the fees.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Here is why I posted, I was lost in my thoughts about what to think about all of this...
My son is friends with her son, and I believe he has no idea what his Mom has done.
I was even more bothered by having this sent to me from another neighbor, I mean, were they trying to tell me how to think, or to make me aware, or to move this news along.

This is a total shock to me because, they have THE nicest, most beautiful home in the neighborhood,
I am only thinking at present, that it is difficult for her to keep up the facade.

Thanks all, and, I am not a "stupid" individual, just torn between morality and friendship/acquaintance.

Sligo~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: